PDA

View Full Version : TC, front/rear diff and ACD

fredrik94087
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
This is a slightly different post than the long one about all the different types of fluids and where they should go.

I'm going to get the Diaqueen LSD oil part number 3775610. I have a 2005 Evolution with the ACD switch.

I called Mitsubishi parts and they were the dumbest bunch of people I have ever contacted. They told me I must use GL4 in the transmission and GL5 in the transfer case and rear diff. I had to explain to him that the car has a TC and a front and rear diff and there is no "transmission" in the traditional front engine/FWD configuration. I proceeded to ask him if I should use the same oil in the front diff as well as in the rear diff, and he repeated the same crap about the TC and rear diff and GL4 in the transmission.

I want to get something straight because I'm pretty confident I'm correct. The Evolution has a TC, a front diff, and a rear diff? Right? There is no other part in the "transmission".

I called Works to ask them the same thing. The only thing they could think of is the ACD for the 2005. Does the ACD have another "housing" or "place" where I must change the oil, or is it just an electronic way of controlling the front differential?

I'll state my questions concisely:
May I use the Diaqueen LSD gear oil in the TC, rear differntial AND in the front differential?
AND, is there any other part of the transmission that requires a fluid change given the fact that I have the ACD button?

Any help is appreciated.

In fact, if you want to call me and tell me, that is fine too.

650-793-5812

-Fred

vtluu
03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
The front diff is in the transfer case and uses the TC's fill/drain plugs. The tranny is sealed off from the transfer case and has its own fill/drain plugs.

Most people I know put DiaQueen in both the TC and rear diff. Some combination of Redline MTL/MT90, or SynchroShift, etc. in the tranny.

The ACD center diff has its own fluid as well but I don't know anything about that.

Hope that answers part of your questions anyway.

SpinOne05
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I have an 05' and used BG sychroshift in the tranny (3Qts.) and the Diaqueen LSD in front transfer and rear transfer. I haven't done anything with the ACD which uses SP III. :)

SpinOne05
03-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I have an 05' and used BG sychroshift in the tranny (3Qts.) and the Diaqueen LSD in front transfer and rear transfer. I haven't done anything with the ACD which uses SP III. :)

earlyapex
03-17-2006, 12:01 AM
They told me I must use GL4 in the transmission and GL5 in the transfer case and rear diff. I had to explain to him that the car has a TC and a front and rear diff and there is no "transmission" in the traditional front engine/FWD configuration. I proceeded to ask him if I should use the same oil in the front diff as well as in the rear diff, and he repeated the same crap about the TC and rear diff and GL4 in the transmission.

The 05 + EVO has:

Transmission oil (front of car)
Transfer case oil (front of car)
Rear diff oil (rear of car)
ACD fluid (reservoir is by airbox underhood)

I personally use:

BG synchroshift Syn in my transmission (6spd)
Redline shockproof heavy in my Transfer case
Redline 75w90 in my rear diff

Yes, the EVO has a transmission in the traditional sense. :wink:

fredrik94087
03-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I would really hate to take my car to a Mitsubishi dealer for maintenance. With all the talk about how bad the service is, and with my own experience with the sheister sales tactics, I am reluctant :roll:

The problem is that even when I talk to the service department, the can't help me that much. So, stuck between a rock and a hard place where I can take chances doing something on my own or I can put it in the hands of those who know not what they do.

Thanks for all your advice. I will look into the SP III for the ACD. Once I get everything squared away, I will update the thread.

-Fred

earlyapex
03-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I doubt you have enough miles on your 05 that warrents a ACD fluid change. It's basically just a hydraulic system, not gear oil.

The Tranny / TC / Rear diff are pretty easy. If you can change your oil, then you can do the others.

dohcvtec
03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Haha, who told you there is no transmission?? lol

I have 35k on my 05 evo, you do not need to change the ACD fluid. Do the tranny fluid, TC and rear diff fluids.

TarmacAttack
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
The correct fluids for the driveline components are:

03-04
Transmission - GL4
Transfer Case - GL5
Rear Diff - Diaqueen LSD

05-06
Transmission
5 speed - GL4
6 speed - Diaqueen 6 speed fluid
Transfer Case - Diaqueen LSD
Rear Diff - Diaqueen LSD
ACD - Mercon Dexron III

Technically called a transaxle, not transmission. It's still the same smell.

drunk monkey
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
off topic: how easy/hard is it to swap a 5 speed to a six speed? and is it worth it.

Carlo

vtluu
03-17-2006, 04:27 PM
off topic: how easy/hard is it to swap a 5 speed to a six speed? and is it worth it.
Difficulty is all relative... Are you an experienced mechanic or is an oil change the most sophisticated thing you've ever done on your car?

Depends too if you're switching from a mechanical center diff to ACD.

I'd call up a shop like WORKS or Gruppe-S and ask them; I'm guessing 10-15 hours labor for them but that's just a guess.

dohcvtec
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
I think the ACD is independant of the 6-speed transmission.

vtluu
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
"Is it worth it" is an even more subjective question. If it'll give you a competitive advantage that will win you thousands of dollars in a racing series, then yeah, it's worth it. If you drive such long distances that you could make up the cost of doing the swap in fuel cost savings (I highly doubt it), yeah, it's worth it. Will it make you happier? And if so, how do you put a price on happiness? I guess the question is, what do you hope to accomplish with a tranny swap?

SpinOne05
03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Stay w/the 5 spd. One less synchro to go bad. :tisk:

TarmacAttack
03-18-2006, 04:12 AM

Actually the 6 speed has nearly twice the internal moving parts as the 5 speed.

Jamie@WORKS
03-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Actually the 6 speed has nearly twice the internal moving parts as the 5 speed.

And half of those 6-speed components are considered "non-serviceable" which means you have to buy the whole "half" all when only one portion of it goes bad :shock:

earlyapex
03-20-2006, 03:40 PM
And half of those 6-speed components are considered "non-serviceable" which means you have to buy the whole "half" all when only one portion of it goes bad :shock:

So how do Shep or TRE rebuild the 6spds then?

TarmacAttack
03-20-2006, 06:53 PM

So how do Shep or TRE rebuild the 6spds then?

It's still rebuildable, but the cost is a lot higher. Example would be the output shaft. Non serviceablle item. If any of the dog keys or synchros go bad, you need to replace the entire shaft. Rough cost of that shaft is 1100.

earlyapex
03-20-2006, 07:06 PM
It's still rebuildable, but the cost is a lot higher. Example would be the output shaft. Non serviceablle item. If any of the dog keys or synchros go bad, you need to replace the entire shaft. Rough cost of that shaft is 1100.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like I would be just swapping my 6spd for a 5spd if I ever break it then. A new upgraded-spec 5spd is $2750 compared to $4250 for the 6spd.

I'm not that attached to my 6spd.

I could be the first 5spd MR. :lol:

Jamie@WORKS
03-21-2006, 10:49 AM

Looks like I would be just swapping my 6spd for a 5spd if I ever break it then. A new upgraded-spec 5spd is $2750 compared to $4250 for the 6spd.

Better hurry if you want to be the first ;)

MarkSAE
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Have fun swapping out the shifter cables, and shifter assembly for the swap as well. ;)