PDA

View Full Version : "normal" Transmission noise

MitsuMan
04-01-2004, 06:49 PM
My car has one of the loudest trans that i've ever heard. I have worked on cars that have come into my shop with hardly any gear oil in them and they sound very simular to my evo w 15k on it. whats up with that!!!! now hold on i'm not talking about the gear whine when i accelerate I have a loud gear lash noise at idle very loud during decel and louder when car is warm ( oil thinner) and lower rpms (like idle w/ a/c on). Can some body help me? It has been like this since 500mi and i have taken it back to Cap mitsu 4 time and they blowme off. They even had the factory distict rep there from LA to hear it. if they actually showed him I don't know. Does anyone else have this same problem? Oh, and does any one know who the fresh evotransmisson sitting at capitlo mitsu is for because I know their Fighting this guy over replacing it and I want to talk to him. Thank you for your time :cry:

nebolic
04-01-2004, 06:54 PM
my tranny has loud noises, it has a horrible whine when i downshift to 2nd gear and let the engine "brake" around 15mph. Also whistles etc... but i've had these noises since i had the car so i don't really take notice of it. Have you tried changing the tranny oil yet? I changed mine recently and it seems to be a little bit better.

ez76
04-01-2004, 07:14 PM
The deceleration noise is common and entirely "normal" whatever that means :-D

RonV
04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
my tranny has loud noises, it has a horrible whine when i downshift to 2nd gear and let the engine "brake" around 15mph. Also whistles etc... but i've had these noises since i had the car so i don't really take notice of it. Have you tried changing the tranny oil yet? I changed mine recently and it seems to be a little bit better.What oil are you using?

nebolic
04-01-2004, 08:48 PM
redline MT 90 or something like that. I had it done at WORKS. Pete told me that the tranny fluid they use at the factory (Mitsui) is non synthetic. He put the synthetic redline in my car. However it needs to be worked into the car, because a few hours after i changed the tranny fluid, i grinded in 2nd gear and 4th gear. But now the shifts are as smooth as a baby's ass.

559EVO
04-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah the noises during deceleration just dont sound normal even though it is.

EvoVIII
04-03-2004, 11:10 AM
man don't be scare of the noise, Evo are build for toughness, our Evo all come from the same factory line, unless u dunno how to use it :lol:

EVO GRIM
06-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Man these forums are a relief. I thought I was loosing a clutch already. I'm getting that sound when I downshift to second, sounds like a bad bearing or something. Good to hear that it is a normal sound. You guys still get it or is it an indicator to change fluids?

GReddy_917
06-14-2004, 06:05 AM
man don't be scare of the noise, Evo are build for toughness, our Evo all come from the same factory line, unless u dunno how to it :lol: :huh:

gt40
06-14-2004, 09:16 AM
After seeing the metal that came was stuck to the magnetic drain plug, change your fluids:

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2682&highlight=

cleanevo
07-04-2004, 07:09 AM
what is the factory wt that the tranny uses