PDA

View Full Version : 265/35/18 question and also props to AutoRnD/Rishie!

SJCoruja
03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
OK, first have to give major props to Rishie and all the guys down at AutoRnD! They really hooked me up with the install on my slotted rotors and new 5mm H&R spacers. VERY cool guys and came through exactly as promised. :thumbsup:

I actually had ordered some BFG KDW2s in 255/40/18 earlier today. After a long talk with Rishie, and learning a ton about tire sizing and offset, I realize that 255/40/18 is probably too tall of a tire for what I am looking for. That said I am going to try and change my order first thing tomorrow. What I can't decide between is 265/35/18 or 255/35/18. I would rather have the 265 as it is basically the stock diameter (and a bit more rubber on the road), but there might be a rubbing issue on the inside front. I currently have 18x9 +40mm rims with 5mm spacers in the front. SO...anyone running similar or know if I for sure will/won't have rubbing issues? I am prepared to roll the fenders if need be.

CN: Will 265/35/18 fit on 18x9 +40mm rims (with 5mm spacers in front)? Car is lowered on Cusco Zero2R coils. Must have this figured out by tomorrow morning so I can change my order from Goodyear. :D

vtluu
03-22-2006, 11:54 PM
They will probably fit without rolling the fenders, but you will need the front spacers. Here's my reasoning:

In front: the +40mm (vs. my +35mm) offset makes them 5mm more "in" than my 275s on 17x9s, but the 265s are 10mm narrower, so the inside sidewall is 5mm more "out". Couple that with the 5mm spacer (which I need to fit the 275s), and the inside sidewall is pretty much exactly where mine is. If they're the same overall diameter as stock (mine are a tad taller), then you probably won't have the same fender liner rubbing issues that I do (which I don't care about but you might).

In back: the +40mm makes them 5mm more "in" than my 275s on 17x9s, but the 265s are 10mm narrower, so the inside sidewall is 5mm more "out". Those cancel each other and your inside sidewall is exactly where mine is, so inside clearance is good. Outside, your 265s are 10mm narrower and we already established the inside edge is lined up with mine, so your outside edge/sidewall is 10mm more "in" than mine, so you probably don't even need to roll the fenders.

craziazzmofo66
03-23-2006, 12:05 AM
They will probably fit without rolling the fenders, but you will need the front spacers. Here's my reasoning:

In front: the +40mm (vs. my +35mm) offset makes them 5mm more "in" than my 275s on 17x9s, but the 265s are 10mm narrower, so the inside sidewall is 5mm more "out". Couple that with the 5mm spacer (which I need to fit the 275s), and the inside sidewall is pretty much exactly where mine is. If they're the same overall diameter as stock (mine are a tad taller), then you probably won't have the same fender liner rubbing issues that I do (which I don't care about but you might).

In back: the +40mm makes them 5mm more "in" than my 275s on 17x9s, but the 265s are 10mm narrower, so the inside sidewall is 5mm more "out". Those cancel each other and your inside sidewall is exactly where mine is, so inside clearance is good. Outside, your 265s are 10mm narrower and we already established the inside edge is lined up with mine, so your outside edge/sidewall is 10mm more "in" than mine, so you probably don't even need to roll the fenders.

the whole in's and out's were kinda confusin...but i think i know what ur talkin about :lol:

SJCoruja
03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Awesome Tam, thanks! I was actually hoping you would get to see my post in time. I think that does make sense and can live with a little bit of minor lining rub if I have to. You are also running 8" springs, right? I am thinking I won't have to worry about it hitting the perch...

Worst case though...I can roll front and rear fenders and go 15mm spacer up front and 5mm spacer in the rear! :twisted:

vtluu
03-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I actually have 10" springs in front. I get a tiny bit of rubbing on the springs--I see the paint rubbed off but I've never noticed rubbing noise or marks on the tires, so it must be extremely slight. I'll go to 8" springs once I upgrade.

Make sure you have longer studs in front. The studs that come with the H&R 5mm spacers (if that's what you're using) are 3mm longer than stock. I.e. you still lose 2mm of stud--with my wheels that left about 7 threads before the lugnuts were torqued--6 is the "bare minimum" considered safe. RoadRaceEngineering has longer studs for a reasonable price--that's where I got mine. They're about 20mm longer than stock and may require open-ended lugnuts.

SJCoruja
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Just called the shop and it looks like it will cost me about $80 to change my order and have new tires shipped out. Is it worth it to change, or should I just live with the taller tire in the 255/40/18? I would also have to have new tires shipped out so another $40 if I want the BFGs.

Hmmm....so, do I eat the return fee for the better sized tire and shipping the new BFGs, or get a different tire that they have there in stock? Sounds like they have Michelin PS2s and a few others...any recommendations on tire?

SJCoruja
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
OK...after reading through everything I can find on here and on EvoM I am still on the fence. I do think I am going to go with something in stock at the store, so between their selection there and the reviews I saw I have narrowed it down to the tires below. Anyone have a direct comparison between them? (ie has tried both on their Evo)

Michelin PS2

Falken RT615

BFG KD

Kumho Ecsta MX

Advan Neova AD07

Keep in mind this will be my daily driver that I will track about 3-4 times a year, as well as hopefully trying a few auto-x events. :D

smack
03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
just thought i would toss this out...

on a trip to la i had a flat and had to replace a tire with the only thing the shop had that came close to fitting my 275/35/18's.
i ran a 245/45/18 and it rubbed the fenderwells a TON. i know this isn't quite the size you're asking about but check out the numbers.

the 35-40-45 is just a ratio of the tread width so
275*.35=95.25mm high sidewall - works fine
245*.45=110.25mm - didn't work on my car

in your case...
255*.40=102mm - halfway in between the height that didn't work on my car so i'm figure it will all depend on your ride height. my car isn't all that low either.
265*.35=92.75 - this would work great. also i think you run no spacer in the rear and you shouldn't even be close to having to roll the rear fenders.

just a thought

SJCoruja
03-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Yep, was really worried about the taller tire rubbing, and more importantly the effect it would have on my gearing over the stock size. I am heading over in a bit to have the Michelin PS2s put on - 265/35/18. Can't wait to see how they handle compared to the BFGs, but will be almost impossible to realistically compare as I'll be going a lot wider and a lower profile.