PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running RA1's on the street?

Lurk
03-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I know RA1's are awesome track tires, but how do they perform on the street? I'm thinking about replacing my Advans when they wear out with a set of RA1's.

Evo442
03-24-2006, 08:11 PM
I think earlyapex ran them on the street for quite a while. Once the tread gets worn down a bit, they're horrible in standing water..

MarkSAE
03-24-2006, 08:33 PM
I've been driving around on mine for a while now. They're decent in the rain, but not that great if I hit standing water. I still hydroplane slightly. They do kick up a lot of rocks and small pebbles also.

earlyapex
03-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I ran them on the street until I killed two of them from picking up broken glass.

Some people have better luck then I do though. :wink:

If you are looking for max traction street tires, get the Azenis RT-615.

Unowned
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
only for 2 weeks, but i don't drive the Evo daily :D They are softer than the Advans, Grip is much better once they are warmed up

L8eight
03-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I'll aggree with brian on this, get the RT-615's. the RA-1's are right at home on the track, i don't see anyone being able to drive RA-1's to thier full potential on the street.

or check out those new hankooks (don't know the name), i have heard great stuff about them!

gOt BoOsT
03-25-2006, 05:06 PM
yes the rt-615's are GREAT...still hydroplane a bit in standing water though

vtluu
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
There are a number of DOT-approved race tires that are okay to drive on the street (such as the RA1s) but I wouldn't recommend them as street tires unless you're made of money--they will wear much faster and as has already been pointed out, you rarely get to use them to their full potential.

The Hankooks L8eight is thinking of are the Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212s; I've had a set on my Evo, they're great, comparable to the Falken Azenis RT615s, probably a bit better in standing water.

dohcvtec
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Not only that, they suck for grip when cold. I would rather have a tire that is still sticky when cold (like the azenis). Unless you're going to be doing warm up laps around your neighborhood trying to warm them up :?

smurfm3
03-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree. RA-1's need heat in them in order to be effective. You're not going to be able to bring them up to temperature on the street unless you're driving like a madman on Hamilton or some other backroad.

Advan Neovas, Hankook R-S2's, and Azenis RT-615's are great max. performance summer tires. They're a better choice for street use.

EFIxMR
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm happy with my Neovas, in water at high speed they will hydroplane a bit, like everyone else is complaining about.

I'm also thinking about the RS2 hankook tires for my new shoes.

zyounker
04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
There are a number of DOT-approved race tires that are okay to drive on the street (such as the RA1s) but I wouldn't recommend them as street tires unless you're made of money--they will wear much faster and as has already been pointed out, you rarely get to use them to their full potential.

The Hankooks L8eight is thinking of are the Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212s; I've had a set on my Evo, they're great, comparable to the Falken Azenis RT615s, probably a bit better in standing water.

You like the hankook better then the azenis? Im about ready for a new set. have azenis now. wondering if the hankooks are nice...seems i can't keep a set more then 5K miles.....

I was going to just go with the azenis again, but if the hankooks are comparable, i may be willing to try a set.

vtluu
04-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Depends how much more rain you think there'll be. If you care about performance in standing water, go for the 'Kooks. If you're okay with "okay" performance in standing water but better performance in the dry (or even wet without standing water), go with the Falkens.

Honestly I think you won't go wrong with either one.