PDA

View Full Version : n00b with questions - buying from SRM soon.

wzcx
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Hello all, I am heading over to San Rafael Mitsu to buy in the next week or so- and have a few questions. I've been reading the boards for the last few weeks, and just registered.

I started looking at evos when I realized it was time to replace my e30 bmw, and I ran across a few ads- one of them a board member (Long Hua). I also looked at a used RR 03 at SRM and realized it was not much cheaper than new- and that I get a way better warranty by buying new. (Not to mention a virgin car!) I have a few questions still:

1) A friend thinks that the 06 MR is still based on the VIII- this isn't true, right? It has MIVEC and the new turbo, doesn't it?

2) It looks like the SSL package on the IX is nice- but I also do a LOT of freeway driving, and I think the MR's 6-speed might actually come in handy. Plus the seats in the MR are sticky. Does anyone use 6th gear?

3) What should I be paying for the car? I know that South Coast is quite a bit cheaper, but I'm not willing to go that far. (That is, how much for an MR vs IX w/SSL.

4) Are any other factory options worthwhile?

5) Is there a clear stick-on protector kit for the IX? They're big in the bimmer world.

I can't wait- I went for a drive with Eric in an MR and had a blast. wow.

Oh yeah- and my name is Chris Daniel, I am a machinist, cnc programmer, and graphic designer. I live in Lagunitas (near Point Reyes) and work in Pittsburg.

L8eight
03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
btw...i was looking at that 03 RR, did a carfax and was in good condition, no accidents. and they are pretty reasonable on the price...i would go in and talk to them about it and do some bargianing :lol: i picked up the 05 TB SSL they had a few weeks ago. and stock this thing hauls!!!

also bump for the westmarin peeps 8)

wzcx
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I am rather not fond of the red- and with plans for mods in the future, I am rather thinking that the IX is worth a few thou more. Plus a 10 year warranty? I love that.

However, I am not dismissing your advice. Thanks for letting me know about the clean carfax. I'm agonizing over every little thing, of course. :)

L8eight
03-28-2006, 05:55 PM
The IX's without a doubt are bad ass, i got the 05 because it fit my budget a little better and i am not too worried about power.

wzcx
03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
And word up for west marin!

I'd like to host a drive and dinner sometime.

L8eight
03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
dinner and drive sounds good i am down in monterey for school right now tho. anyways here are some asnwers for your SSL ?'s. i wrote up a review with pics for another member....

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9163&start=30

-Rocky

ZK
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
The MR will probably be the most comfortable if you are driving a lot. The stock Bilstein suspension is more refined and comfortable than the KYBs that come on the normal IX. If you are planning on changing the suspension then it doesn't matter.

The IX has been making more power than the VIII stock and with minimal modifications it has been making a lot more power over the VIII. Also don't forget the broader powerband from the MIVEC for your daily drive.

If you're down deciding between the IX SSL and the MR, you should really think if you want the sunroof, leather and the audio package vs. the slightly higher performance and more refined suspension of the MR. I think a lot of people get the SSL for the HID headlights and don't want to spend the extra for an MR.

wilson1
03-28-2006, 06:37 PM
The MR will probably be the most comfortable if you are driving a lot. The stock Bilstein suspension is more refined and comfortable than the KYBs that come on the normal IX. If you are planning on changing the suspension then it doesn't matter.

The IX has been making more power than the VIII stock and with minimal modifications it has been making a lot more power over the VIII. Also don't forget the broader powerband from the MIVEC for your daily drive.

If you're down deciding between the IX SSL and the MR, you should really think if you want the sunroof, leather and the audio package vs. the slightly higher performance and more refined suspension of the MR. I think a lot of people get the SSL for the HID headlights and don't want to spend the extra for an MR.

+1
If you can afford it, Evo 9 is the way to go, just all around improved over the evo 8 versions. And the mivec with the evo 9 turbo makes power and torque that evo 8 (with cams, TBE,with the stock turbo, ), can only dream of!
Most evo 8 guys might not admit to it, but if they can switch over to the evo 9 without much outlay, they would do it in a blink.
:wink:

BigEd925
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
also the MR seats are the same as the IX without SSL I think. I love mine and would rather have them over leather any day. I just miss the HIDs and Sunroof.

oh and about the sixth gear, I think the MR actually has slightly worse MPG, the sixth gear isnt an overdrive it just as close (if not closer) as the 5 speed.

L8eight
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
BTW i forgot to mention.... I would have gotten the IX for sure if i had more $$$ :oops:

-Rocky

wzcx
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I didn't know about the differences in suspension- I don't have plans to do extensive mods anytime soon, so the Bilsteins would be great to have up front- that makes a difference. Thanks again, y'all.

JanSolo
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
There are lots of good articles you can read on the IX.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0505_2006_mitsubishi_evolution/index.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0503_mitsubishi_evolution_dyno/index.html

Mr. R
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM

+1
If you can afford it, Evo 9 is the way to go, just all around improved over the evo 8 versions. And the mivec with the evo 9 turbo makes power and torque that evo 8 (with cams, TBE,with the stock turbo, ), can only dream of!
Most evo 8 guys might not admit to it, but if they can switch over to the evo 9 without much outlay, they would do it in a blink.
:wink:

i totally agree :thumbsup:

wzcx
04-05-2006, 07:12 AM
There is a new GG MR outside now- Boy, I sure hate driving it so far in the rain every day, but oh what a joy it is to drive. I had to take each of my cow-orkers for a ride this morning, of course. I'm swtching jobs to take one that's 30 miles closer to home, and half the reason is to avoid putting too many miles on the new car!

Happy to be part of the club- see you at karting!

ek9_evo9
04-05-2006, 07:23 AM
wow i missed this thread, so i cant give any more opinions...heheheheh
so its now a new owner thread....WELCOME!
nice color choice 8)

wzcx
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks ek9_evo9 and Everyone else!

I'm up to 1k miles already- I almost waited to buy until I quit this job, but decided to go ahead and break the car in gently with my long commute. I was careful to follow all the break in advice, and the car is fantastic. I'm ready already for safety harnesses and I have some plans to do a little interior improvement:
I'll be finding a good upholstery shop to recover the door armrest panels with padded leather instead of this awful carpet. It's hard as a rock! Any recommendations for shops in emeryville/oakland/marin? There's a shop in San Rafael that does great furniture work, I may talk to them. My only other plans are for a couple helmets, spare tires & wheels, and lots of seat time on the track.

RgistRdShowoffIX
04-15-2006, 10:30 AM
lol Can't get away from that Bimmer luxury huh? :lol:

Btw there IS a clear bra for the Evo but I'm not sure if there's one made specifically for the IX. I know there's one for the VIII. I'm waiting on the news also. lol lemme check out 3M's website.

Congrats on the new car!

[edit]
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products/browser.cgi?prevtype=1&prevyear=2006&prevmake=28&prevmodel=842&prevsubmodel=0&prevseries=0&type=1&year=2006&make=28&model=842&submodel=2720
There ya go. There is one.

3M's website sux...I couldn't find the application page...

wzcx
04-15-2006, 09:39 PM
It's both the bimmer luxury- although parts were pretty much falling off of mine- and the fact that my elbow hurts after 100 miles a day! I'll post more when I have something to show off. Thanks also for the link to the bra.

RgistRdShowoffIX
04-24-2006, 10:34 AM
no prob. I've been looking for it myself so i figured i'd help a fellow owner while i'm at it.

AreSTG
04-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Does anyone use 6th gear?

HAHA I skip 5th majority of the time and go right for 6th.

What type of CNC machines u run? Hurco? Mazak? (forgive spelling)