PDA

View Full Version : Car alarms

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Hello guys. I was wondering, is it really necessary to have an alarm for the Evo? I mean, isn't the "chip" that comes with the car enough to not get the Evo stolen. Nowadays no body really pays attention to any alarms going off. Isn't the main purpose of the alarm is not to get the car stolen? So is the stock anti deterrent chip enough? I know alot of you guys likes all the bells and whistle that an aftermarket alarm offer but besides that, is the stock chip good enough?

evo_dadi
04-04-2004, 10:01 AM
i think it all comes down to the person and how he feels how safe it is in the area. i mean so at least when they try to break in youll know since the stock just locks doors.

Evo442
04-04-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm curious too. I figure, if a pro really wants your car, its gone. Is there anything about aftermarket alarms that make the car more difficult to steal than the chip it comes with? Any vendors with thoughts?

Black_EVO
04-04-2004, 11:32 AM
My EVO came with the "Engine kill" that you have to set up after you drive it off the lot. I thought that was a standard option? All I need now is a Lo-Jack.

lambtron
04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
i used to work with this crap, if a pro wants your car, he/she will have it , regardless of what you have done as far as an alarm. Well unless you have the flamethrower alarm...I look at an alarm as more of an accessory to have for your car. Most aftermarket alarms offer keyless entry and shit like automatic window roll up/down, remote start, starter disable...etc. Starter disable will only hold the thief back for awhile, it cna be easily bypassed if they know what they're doing. There are the alarms that page you when your alarm goes off and such, but you have to be within a certain distance...the BEST thing to get is LoJack don't waste money on an aftermarket alarm, or get the DEI viper gps tracking system..both of these can track cars if stolen, the viper one is a little cooler because if you have a viper alarm to go with it you can start your car using your computer...if someone drives your car you can track where they go...how fast they go...and best of all if your car is stolen you can find out where it is being taken lol.

wilson1
04-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Is the DEI viper the same as the Alpine Gps tracking unit?

JanSolo
04-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Good point about the Lojack. Also, if you get the Lojack, your insurance rates go down a bit as well. Though if my car was stolen, I am not sure how badly I would want it back, though I would want the guys who stole it to go to get busted.

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Good point about the Lojack. Also, if you get the Lojack, your insurance rates go down a bit as well. Though if my car was stolen, I am not sure how badly I would want it back, though I would want the guys who stole it to go to get busted.
I have LoJack on my Evo but stupid Allstate does recognize it and didn't give me any discount. :x Bastards

LEVIII
04-05-2004, 12:27 AM
C'mon guys, If people stop buying alarms Im gonna have to look for a new job. Anyway, you are right about people not paying attention anymore, thats why they have all these pager alarms now, and a pro will get your car if he really wants it, no matter what you have. Your goal is just to slow them down and hopefully have the car make some noise. The longer it takes the theif to bypass the more chance they will get spoked off by anything (ie... a passing car or nosey neighbor) But if they really want it its theres. The best thing is to have good insurance. When my civic got stolen I handed th insurance comany 10k in receipts and they only covered a grand of that cause I never uped my coverage.

kimmievo
04-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I have a quick question about alarms.....

I am looking to buy the Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 and I needed to know a few things about it first. If anyone has this particular alarm, or knows about it and could give me some advice, that would be great.

I understand that the remote start feature is strictly for fuel-injected, automatic trannies. I really don't care about this feature. Will the alarm still work in my car?

Also, the alarm features a built-in turbo timer. I already have a GReddy turbo timer, and don't care to use the one on the alarm. Is my turbo timer compatible with the alarm? In other words, after the turbo timer kills the engine, will the alarm still set?

I have tried contacting a few sellers on Ebay with these questions, but it seems as if they don't know jack. I've also tried searching for the answers on the internet, but I can't find a darn thing. So, now, I am at my wits end, and turning to all of you for some well-appreciated help.

Thanks,

Kim

P.S. I agree that if a pro wants to take your car, they will do everything in their power to get it. But, call me a paranoid new car owner....I am getting an alarm, and most likely lo-jack too. I'm also just retentive about my new possessions. lol.

blueskies
04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
lojack is nice, especially with their early warning system.

agreed, if they want your car they will take it. i just met a guy who bought an s2000. it was stolen out if his driveway 2 weeks after he bought it. the s2000 has a similar theft deterrent system in it, as compared to our evo's. scary thing is they got around it by switching the cars ecu out and then the thief's key worked.

wilson1
04-05-2004, 03:59 PM
lojack is nice, especially with their early warning system.

agreed, if they want your car they will take it. i just met a guy who bought an s2000. it was stolen out if his driveway 2 weeks after he bought it. the s2000 has a similar theft deterrent system in it, as compared to our evo's. scary thing is they got around it by switching the cars ecu out and then the thief's key worked.

I think our ECU is vehicle specific, right Jansolo?

vtluu
04-05-2004, 04:08 PM
It's got a code flashed into it that matches with a code sent by the car key. The ECU will only start the engine if it receives the right code from the key when you turn the ignition, as I understand it. Of course, using an alternate/standalone ECU would bypass this.

Yes, a car thief could replace the ECU to allow them to use their own key. If they're out looking for a specific type of car (e.g. an S2000 or an Evo) they could have an alternate ECU on hand to accomplish this. They would still need a key that physically fits in the ignition--or some way of bypassing that, too.