PDA

View Full Version : RT-615 Tire Pressure?

Kamikaze
03-31-2006, 12:02 AM
I just got my RT-615 mounted. I saw the Max Press is at 50psi. What kinda pressure should I be running on this bad boy on street driving?
What is the good pressure to start on autox? I usually start at high end and keep dropping down. (Don't have a pump).
50psi is the highest I've ever seen.

I'm pretty :shock: how quiet this tire is. 245 is so stable at high speed :D

earlyapex
03-31-2006, 12:21 AM
50psi?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I run 32 cold.

zyounker
03-31-2006, 12:55 AM
on the street i run 32 front 29 rear..... i vary the rear depending on time of year/temp.

the colder it is the higher pressure you run.. but if you regularly heat up your tires, try starting at ~29

EDIT: i run my car pretty hard..... and still still play around with the pressures. anyone else?

Really i look at the wear marks on my tires.. as long as its to the edge i am happy. Basicly you need to always continue to check as your style changes...

vtluu
03-31-2006, 03:46 AM
I always ran the RT-215s high, about 40/37 (front/rear) hot. These days I run the RT-615s about 35 psi cold all around, and they don't get much above that since they're my street tires and I drive like a granny on the street.

The proper way to set your auto-x/track tire pressures is with a tire probe pyrometer. You want even temperatures on the inside shoulder, middle tread, and outside shoulder, or as close to that as your camber settings will allow. Higher relative temperature in the center tread section means run less pressure, lower means run more. Higher relative temperature on the outside shoulder means run more negative camber; lower means run less.

Matz
03-31-2006, 06:51 AM
What I had been told years ago (and I don't know if this is true or not!) is that you should find a flat area and chalk lines across each tire. Then drive a ways, pull over, and check to see where the chalk is worn. If it's worn evenly, then you're good. If it's worn more in the middle, then you're overinflated; more on the outside means underinflated.

Is that a bunch of crock? I've never actually done it, nor have paid much attention to ideal tire pressures on the street (which is probably worse). :cry:

Dr. Evo
03-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Driving a short distance like that isn't really going to give you much information. And obviously the chalk isn't going to stay on for a long distance. I would say about 35psi, but I have never ran these perticular tires. Anything below 30 or over 40 is out of range IMO.

vtluu
03-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Is that a bunch of crock? I've never actually done it, nor have paid much attention to ideal tire pressures on the street (which is probably worse). :cry:
Using chalk is the right idea but it's mainly useful for monitoring shoulder wear. Auto-x people often draw chalk marks on the tire shoulder before a run to make sure the tire sidewalls aren't rolling over (and if they are, add more pressure).

Conventional wisdom is that for auto-x, a good starting pressure for street tires is 10 psi above the manufacturer's recommendation; on the Evo this would be 42/39 or something like that. Now the Falken RT615s are no ordinary street tires so you can get away with a bit less, but autocross pressures are still going to be a good chunk higher than what you want to run on the street.

EV0LL
03-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I say he tries 50 and reports back.

byt
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I say he tries 50 and reports back.

And then maybe his car will be starred as your next sig :lol:

dus10
06-27-2006, 12:22 AM
After doing my own testing using a Pyrometer on all 4 tires (Falken RT-615's 245/45/17) I came up with 37 Front 33 Rear for cold pressure. These were the pressures that gave me a center tire temp that was the average of the inside and outside temps. The stock pressures aren't enough for these RT's, the outside & inside temps are always higher than the center with the stock recommended pressures.

MitsuMan
06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
40 is good for the weight of the car and will give you gooder gas milage 50 would be good during an autocross I would think, the last one I went to people were running high psi. the factory tire pressure and load rating for the car are found in the drivers door jam but most people with low profile tires run in the 40 also to keep from getting wheel damage on a big/deep bump

evo_dadi
06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
50psi is too high for an autox,38-40 would be fine or maybe a tad more depending on driving style or suspension set up.

Kamikaze
06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually, I settled with 42 front and 39 rear. On the street, I have 29 in front and 32 in rear. My fronts are worn out from inside so I have less pressure to let it get worn out evenly. I need to rotate the tire.