PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Spider or cables for Tahoe?

Dr. Evo
04-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I am a snow-driving n00b. That said, I am heading up to Tahoe the 14th and there is still supposed to ba alot of snow, if not alot of new snow. I have M+S tires on, but still want to carry something just in case. Anyone have any experience with the Spikes-Spiders? (http://www.spike-spider.com/235x45x17.htm) Or should I just get a couple of sets of cables (for a lot less $$). I just don't want to tear up my wheels, or leave the road (unless on purpose :D ). Also, if I get only 1 pair, where should i run them? Front or rear, or staggered? If I get the Spiders I am only getting 1 set, but if I get cables I am getting two sets.

earlyapex
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
get the cables, the newer low profile ones, they are cheap.

You put them on the front of the car so you can slow down. :)

Dr. Evo
04-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Slow down? But I just want to WRC the corners! So you are saying that I only need one set? I can get cables for about 25 bucks a set, so I wouldn't mind getting two.

Matz
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
I saw the Spikes Spiders at Rack N Road a week ago, and was pretty interested to see how they'd work on the Evo. Please pick up a set and let us know how they work. :)

earlyapex
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Slow down? But I just want to WRC the corners! So you are saying that I only need one set? I can get cables for about 25 bucks a set, so I wouldn't mind getting two.

I've been driving to tahoe for years and have yet to have to put on a set of chains on a AWD vehicle.

Matz
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I've been driving to tahoe for years and have yet to have to put on a set of chains on a AWD vehicle.

That's cuz you've never hit a "category 3" requirement, which means you have to have chains, even if you're in an AWD vehicle with snow tires. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in weather like that, either. :lol:

earlyapex
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM

That's cuz you've never hit a "category 3" requirement, which means you have to have chains, even if you're in an AWD vehicle with snow tires. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in weather like that, either. :lol:

Yes I have, and I was sitting in my car not moving for 2hrs like everyone else on the road. They close the roads when that happens.

Then they opened it back up and I went on my way without chains:

http://www.razorlab.com/misc/images/trips/tahoe_trip01_02_04/tahoe01.jpg

and I woke up the next day and rode in this:

http://www.razorlab.com/misc/images/trips/tahoe_trip01_02_04/tahoe02.jpg

Matz
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
man I miss El Nino of 97. That made for some bitchin' boarding. I haven't boarded in ages, but wouldn't mind getting out there again sometime if the snow is as nice as that. :)

ZK
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I went up to Tahoe this weekend and they closed all the roads going east. We had to spend the night in Sacramento and head up early the next day. It was a chains required but they wave all the AWD cars through no questions asked. I'm sure if it was a really big storm they would just not let anyone through so it wouldn't matter if you had chains or not on your AWD. And no, I did not drive the Evo.

Dr. Evo
04-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Well, the only reason I am beig such a puss is because I have never driven in snow. I think i am going to pick up a set of cables just in case, but I won't put them on unless I feel it getting crazy :D .

EvoKid
04-04-2006, 09:19 AM
I believe in the Owner's Manual or the Warrenty Booklet, it says that using NON-Mitsu chains can void your warrenty.

OEM Mitsu chains can be bought at Mitsubishiparts.net.

I have driving in the snow quite a bit and have never used chains on a AWD car.

dohcvtec
04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
If you have M+S tires already no need to waste your money on chains. Just drive slow and don't make any sudden movements (brake, gas or steering inputs) and you'll be fine.

Dr. Evo
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I believe in the Owner's Manual or the Warrenty Booklet, it says that using NON-Mitsu chains can void your warrenty.

BWAHAHA!

nightwalker
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I live in Truckee and have driven through some shitty snow storms. Came home from Sac one late night and couldn't see ten feet in front of me coming over Donner pass. They don't ever tell you to put chains on a awd car.

As far as tires go, if you have all season tires, you should be fine. If any of you are still sporting the Advans, or are running high performance summer tires, you can still do it, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first time in the snow.

Snow driving is the shit guys. Come spend a weekend up in the Sierras when it's snowing and you'll realize how well the Evo does in the snow.

BigEd925
04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
I got some snow tires for sale check out the private listings.

Dr. Evo
04-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah I saw that. Tempting, but I think I am going the cheap way and buying some chains (SCC Super Z-6). They only require 1/4" of clearance. One set, for the rear I think. If I change my mind I will hit you up about those tires.

dohcvtec
04-06-2006, 09:30 AM
If this is the only time you're ever going to drive the car in the snow, go for it. Otherwise get the damn tires. :)

Dr. Evo
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
This will be the only time in the snow for (likely) a long time, so I just ordered the chains today. They were cheap enough, and I want to have them with me *just in case*.

KakimotoEVO
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Just saw these today:

http://www.flextrax.com/

Not too expensive and no need to install the ugly hub thing like the Spike-Spider.

Dr. Evo
04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I already called about those. They don't make a fitment for the Evo yet :? .

AreSTG
04-12-2006, 10:42 PM
im on the stock advan's and since 80 was closed a few hrs while i was on it, i put the cables on all 4 tires for helping to stop. I think the law is no matter your car and tire rating you have to have the chains in your car even if you arent req'd to use them.

dohcvtec
04-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I doubt they pull you over and search your car for chains. :) Either way, if the roads ever get so bad that AWD needs snow tires + chains, they close the roads completely.

Dr. Evo
04-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I'll let you all know on Monday :D

nightwalker
04-13-2006, 10:54 PM
I've been driving through the slush and snow we've been getting up here the whole last week. I'm on Kumho ASXs. You guys worry too much.

AreSTG
04-15-2006, 12:45 AM
he's NEVER driven on snow though, i cant imagine i've grown up in it every winter in PA

Dr. Evo
04-16-2006, 08:12 PM
It was fun! A little sliding and a fun semi-spin all alone on the 89! The 80 parking lot sucked though! Alot of snow today! But we made it home alright. See pics in my other thread.