PDA

View Full Version : Lest anybody not take road racing seriously...

vtluu
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
SCCA CLUB RACER FATALLY INJURED AT TOPEKA REGIONAL (http://www.scca.com/news/press04_55.html)

Not to scare anybody but I think this underscores the importance of "doing it right": get as much instruction as you need (and then some more), don't drive beyond your limits, etc.

JanSolo
04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Well it certainly sounds like he is experienced with racing since it looks like he has been a member for quite some time. I wonder what the specifics of the accident are?

vtluu
04-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Well, I think fatal accidents can happen to almost anybody in almost any sport... But obviously there are steps one can take to reduce the risk of accidents. My point was that you should take road racing seriously, rather than taking the "strap on a helmet and drive" attitude that I see from some people.

ob4
04-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I think the key to any track events, be it competitive or not, is to exerise common sense. There is no reason to risk injury or even life over laptime or a first place finish.
In the case of the SCCA incident, I've a feeling that the driver was pretty experienced, and sometimes when it's your time to go, there is nothing you can do about it.

-ob4

JanSolo
04-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Exactly! He was experienced and obviously took it seriously and probably had lots of prior experience and training before hand. So even with experience and instruction, it comes down to common sense and not overstepping the current conditions (track, car, etc.).