PDA

View Full Version : electric brakes.

chrisw
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
read and discuss...

http://www.automotivedesignline.com/howto/184429176;jsessionid=A2XAIHFMCSEPCQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEK JVN?pgno=1

http://i.cmpnet.com/automotivedesignline/2006/04/WedgeBr2.jpg
Electronic Wedge Brake anatomy: The brake rotor (1) is engaged by the pad (2), which is moved by electric motors (3, 4) using several roller screws (5) along wedge-shaped angled surfaces (6).

vtluu
04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Interesting, but the by-wire control would take away all braking sensation through the brake pedal--potentially making it more difficult to modulate the brakes. Now, the system necessarily includes ABS because you won't feel brake lockup through the pedal--but you would also not feel the "ABS pulsing" which would also make it more difficult to adjust your braking so as not to trigger ABS.

Suitable for Sally Homemaker's new 10000-lb SUV? Sure. For my new sports/race car? That remains to be seen.

Still, I like the idea of by-wire controls. Controls operated by pumps, cables and hydraulics all seem a bit archaic.

Just hope your electrical system never fails. ;)

dohcvtec
04-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Hydrolics and cables give real time real feed back which is a MUST! Archaic it may be, but it works. :)

redvolution
04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Electronic control is the type of tech that should appear first in F1. While I loved the outgoing V10s I think it's time to make F1 motors electric. Think how that would futher motor and battery research!

chrisw
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Electronic control is the type of tech that should appear first in F1. While I loved the outgoing V10s I think it's time to make F1 motors electric. Think how that would futher motor and battery research!

problem is not with the electric motors, but the energy source (batteries, or some hybrid tech)

but overall, I agree with Tam. I guess you could simulate the brake feed back just like VW and BMW have done with their electric assisted steering.

Limeyboy
04-07-2006, 07:07 PM

+1. This is akin to 'steering by wire' - wasnt there some disasterous car that had this in the 70's?

Matz
04-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Interesting, but the by-wire control would take away all braking sensation through the brake pedal--potentially making it more difficult to modulate the brakes. Now, the system necessarily includes ABS because you won't feel brake lockup through the pedal--but you would also not feel the "ABS pulsing" which would also make it more difficult to adjust your braking so as not to trigger ABS.

Haptic feedback, baby! They could have the brake pedal servo-controlled to generate the sensation, while also having the brake-by-wire feature. :thumbsup:

yeah, I wouldn't want that in my car either, though it would be a cool project to work on.

vtluu
04-08-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm not opposed to drive-by-wire technology, even in race cars. I think it can be built to provide the same level of feedback as traditional systems have... but at the cost of adding complexity. Complexity + race car = bad. Simpler is more reliable and easier to fix. So drive-by-wire would have to present some pretty significant advantages to overcome the complexity cost. For example electric brakes will never fade due to brake fluid issues, and the system is probably much lighter as a whole. Two pretty big advantages.

Steering-by-wire (for a race car), I'm a bit less clear on; it just doesn't seem to present any big advantages other than weight. But just like brakes, mechanically decoupling the system from the controls seems like a recipe for "excitement" should the electrical system ever fail (and they've been known to do so fairly commonly).

chrisw
04-08-2006, 07:57 AM

yeah, just don't spill your coffee onto the dash and you will be fine

szzzzztt.. :shock:

trinydex
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
this would really eliminate a lotta the caliper flex problems...

vtluu
05-22-2006, 06:15 PM

Everybody here with caliper flex problems, raise their hands?

Didn't think so.

chrisw
05-23-2006, 08:04 AM

Everybody here with caliper flex problems, raise their hands?

Didn't think so.

not in my EVO