PDA

View Full Version : been a while

AreSTG
04-08-2006, 06:17 PM
hey guys been like at least 1.5 months or so since i've posted for on reason or another. But anyway, to my on topic question.

My wife told me i can spend like 3-3.5 grand on my car and im wondering what is the best route to go. I've had it in my mind to get cams(and gears) and Meth injection. But when i think about it, theres alot of supporting mods to go along with those mods, namely some sort of engine management(correct me if im wrong pls).

So im looking for suggestions on what to get w/ that amount of money(includeing labor). I am leaning mroe and more towards an engine managemnt mod simply because any future mod can be adjusted for(ona flash now).

If you have a recomendation please be manufacturer specific on something like EM, seeing how prices can differ so much.

thanks in advance alot fo help :)

Matz
04-08-2006, 06:29 PM
First of all, your wife and my wife apparently need to start hanging out or something. 3.5k? Dude. :shock:

I don't know how well I'm planning my mod path, but I went with the ECU+ and removed the P2 flash so that I can have it tuned whenever I add a new mod. Just got 269 cams in along with springs, retainers, and head studs. Injectors and fuel pump are on the way. Should be good for 30WHP, I think. Here's the rough breakdown:

ECU+: $600
WORKS 269s: $700
WORKS springs and retainers: $340
ARP head studs: $100
Walbro FP + Helix 720cc injectors: $400
installation of cams, studs, and springs / retainers: $500

After all this, you could still have up to 1k left for other stuff. You could also save money if you got the parts from HKS and Supertech.

You gotta get all this stuff before Meet #13?? :)

AreSTG
04-08-2006, 06:36 PM
that 700 for cams include gears?

and i have a walbro fp already. and i guesse i shoudl mention dp-back exhaust and kickass filter. and EBC

how much is an ECU+ tune usually run?

one thing thats concerned me thats omone may know, is when i installed my EBC, i was haveing it hold up at like 20.5 psi and my valves were makeing a quiet tapping sound, i've lowered the boost of course and ride a steady 19.2 psi steady and its cool. Im wondering does this mean i may have a weak head thats not worthy of upgrading? i dont wanna run into problems down the road cuz of a part thats been shoddy from the start.

and thanks for help Matz

EvoKid
04-08-2006, 10:00 PM
If you wanna run meth injection, I would look into a Xede. Shiv is working on a "lean protection" feature which looks, IMO, like the best way to run meth/alky injection.

As for the cam, I would go with some HKS or GSC cams becuase their cheaper and not indexed already.

Also, the 700$ for the WORKS cams doesn't include gear but I think you suppose to use your stock ones. It has to do with them already being indexed.

EFIxMR
04-08-2006, 10:18 PM
A less expensive option is hks 272 cams they don't require valvetrain, and have solid results.

Matz
04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Righto... the WORKS 269s don't require cam gears, but that doesn't mean you can't use them.. So if you get HKS cams, you're looking at $560 + the cost of whatever gears you want. If you want cams, let Justin at Lancershop know I referred you.. $560 OTD is a kick-ass price for HKS 272s.

Tuning using the ECU+ is done by whoever you want. You can even do it yourself on the road, though I personally don't plan on doing that (I don't know jack about tuning). Perhaps you should ask some of the ECU+ gurus here what they charge -- namely earlyapex and KevoVIII?

Hopefully, that tapping sound you heard wasn't knocking. But if it's gone now with the boost lowered -- cool!

Oh, and as far as meth injection goes, perhaps Shiv's product is the way to go. However, Gruppe-S sells a kit from Snow Engineering that has a failsafe built into it that works regardless of what piggyback / flash you're using, so you could probably still use it with the ECU+... ?

AreSTG
04-08-2006, 11:56 PM
thanks for the help guys, and keep the comments comming please :)

earlyapex
04-09-2006, 01:51 AM
that tapping was probably the boost solenioid from your EBC, not the valves.

If you are actually hearing the tapping of valves, it's already too late. :wink:

IMHO, get cams, , a flashfor them from a reputable tuner and you're good to go. Cams should give a good 20-30whp increase. You could also go ECU+ or XEDE if you want to learn how to tune yourself.

I am always up to help people tune their own cars...

AreSTG
04-09-2006, 04:39 PM
that tapping was probably the boost solenioid from your EBC, not the valves.

If you are actually hearing the tapping of valves, it's already too late. :wink:

IMHO, get cams, , a flashfor them from a reputable tuner and you're good to go. Cams should give a good 20-30whp increase. You could also go ECU+ or XEDE if you want to learn how to tune yourself.

I am always up to help people tune their own cars...

hmm how cna i have the car looked at to make sure its ok, cuz i've heard that clicking of the EBC on cold days, it wasnt that for sure. It was alot liek the sound my 84 civic would make if i stayed in a high gear and tryed to go up a hill w/o downshifting, almost a rattling. But i havent heard the noise since i put the boost at 19.2, peaking at like 20 in certain gears.

earlyapex
04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
hmm how cna i have the car looked at to make sure its ok, cuz i've heard that clicking of the EBC on cold days, it wasnt that for sure. It was alot liek the sound my 84 civic would make if i stayed in a high gear and tryed to go up a hill w/o downshifting, almost a rattling. But i havent heard the noise since i put the boost at 19.2, peaking at like 20 in certain gears.

Ok, that sounds like detonation then. Or something loose. Although you said it went away when you lowered the boost. What reflash are you running again?

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 05:10 AM
ttp, trac and tarmac performance, you are probably one of the few who know about it

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 05:11 AM
shit you know what, i forgot that i had it flashed for 92 octane(what i had in TX) but im not stationed there anymore(obviusly) and am running on 91, so haveing the boost that high was pretty stupid

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 08:53 AM
First of all, your wife and my wife apparently need to start hanging out or something. 3.5k? Dude. :shock:

I don't know how well I'm planning my mod path, but I went with the ECU+ and removed the P2 flash so that I can have it tuned whenever I add a new mod. Just got 269 cams in along with springs, retainers, and head studs. Injectors and fuel pump are on the way. Should be good for 30WHP, I think. Here's the rough breakdown:

After all this, you could still have up to 1k left for other stuff. You could also save money if you got the parts from HKS and Supertech.

im thinking this right now:

ecu+: 600
hks 272's or 264/272: 560(right?)
fidanza gears: 210(if they fit stock?)
crower springs/retainers: 290
head studs: 100
720cc injectors: 365(?)
alky kit:300

thats 2425 plus tune and labor on installing what i cant, anyone know if any of those parts are cheaper or any other supporting mods i need for that stuff? looks like maybe about a little over 3k right there i hope

egui42
04-10-2006, 09:22 AM

im thinking this right now:

ecu+: 600
hks 272's or 265/272: 560(right?)
fidanza gears: 210(if they fit stock?)
crower springs/retainers: 290
head studs: 100
720cc injectors: 365(?)
alky kit:300

thats 2425 plus tune and labor on installing what i cant, anyone know if any of those parts are cheaper or any other supporting mods i need for that stuff? looks like maybe about a little over 3k right there i hope

Maybe add:
fuel pump~ 100
TBE ~ Varies a lot

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 09:40 AM
have both already

superman37r1
04-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Tim lets meet up tonight and talk about it and you can take my car for a spin also...

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
sorry bro, i work at night

maybe thursday, or if u go to work in the morning after like 7ish i'll be up atill

onesicklambo
04-10-2006, 06:39 PM
yo tim long time no see!!!

AreSTG
04-10-2006, 06:47 PM
for real, and dude im pissed about your car WTF!!!!!! :(

AreSTG
04-20-2006, 06:16 AM
well, a few things are here

the cam gears an injectors, and JDM BOV, but its installed so no pics :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/AreSTG/7d69d8ca.jpg

AreSTG
04-20-2006, 06:45 AM
sorry I'm an asshole.

Gotta say thanks to both SpeedElement as well as Gruppe-S, because both of them shipped same day(FRI.) and i recieved on monday

AreSTG
04-25-2006, 06:43 AM
well,

HKS 272's are on the way now as well as an ECU+

can't wait to install this crap

AreSTG
05-02-2006, 05:33 AM
just waiting on the ECU+ to get here, and i gotta find a wb o2 and map sensor now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/AreSTG/bd993af0.jpg