PDA

View Full Version : swap

pinay8utterfly
04-16-2006, 03:19 PM
hey guys... i have a few questions... even though this may sound like a newb type of thing please don't blow up ahhaha jk....

anyways i have a LANCER ES 2002 and i was wondering if its possible to do a swap with a evo8 engine...

i have heard about people swaping their engines but i have never seen it done...

i wanted to do this on my own only because my bf thinks that i can't be able to do it...

you think that you guys can help...?

Where's the cheapest place to get an engine for cheap?? ive tried cl and ebay.... but i just want some suggestions...

thanks
dee :D

crctslt
04-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Sell car buy Evo

EvoRicer
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey, I don't know about the Evo 8 Swap thing but if you want motors, trannies, etc...just keep checking Evolutionm.net. There's a bunch of Evos that have been getting into wrecks, then they sell the parts that arent damaged. I have seen many Motors and trannies for sale over there...not to mention all the other stuff you will need along with the swap.

pinay8utterfly
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
rather keep car look sleeper

mtsevovii
04-16-2006, 03:48 PM
and dont forget to convert it to AWD too!

i wouldnt mind if they made the wrc kit. :D

http://gamma.nic.fi/~globe/rally/paradise/pics/wrc_lancer04b.jpg

AreSTG
04-16-2006, 05:24 PM
i understand you bf and you having a "bet" but do u have other transportation whiel you do the swap? and do you have a place to do the swap?

I swapped an engine b4, and it was my only mode of transportation, so i had to share my wifes car. It's a pain. And more importantly the place i did the swap at i had to leave my car there a really long time. Unless its a swap you've done many times and know exactly what you need and need to do, you will encounter problems, sit for a week waiting for a part you need etc.

It's not as easy as it sounds, even with a drop-in swap. Dont forget too, you need to find all the differences between the two, from elctrical stuff to egnine mounts. Also, you need a ECU and you need to find out if you need a cusotm wiring harness to make your regular lancer accesories work with a Evo wiring harness.

MarkSAE
04-16-2006, 05:50 PM
The Lancer chassis won't support AWD. The rear suspension is really different. I know the rear upper shock mounts are located lower. You may try seeing if an EVO engine will bolt up to the lancer tranny. That might be possible.

AreSTG
04-16-2006, 06:27 PM
oh gawd... i didnt thnk anyone was serus about swapping the AWD onto a Lancer, i figured just the engine... I would DEFINTATLY just buy an Evo then, however you'd save a lot on insurance :twisted:

drunk monkey
04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
it can be done. but its a lot of money.

wont be awd but the engine will bolt on the stock tranny with some modifcations to it.

check this link out.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=159150&highlight=lancer+swap

good luck.

Carlo

craziazzmofo66
04-17-2006, 01:31 AM
it would be cool...and its something that ive thought about...but its really not something easily done..theres probably tons of fab work thats gonna be needed..(i dont think theres a kit out there)it more like something that a shop will do to get recognized. im not tryin to say that u shouldnt do it..just that its something that i would never attempt, unless i owned a shop and had just about access to any tool/ machinin equipment..it just might not be worth the money...but will definatly be worth the time when its all said and done...

Matz
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Sounds like a fun project, but not if the Lancer is your only car. If you can get a group of people to help out, and you're not in a huge rush to finish the job, I'd be interested in helping. :)

guntings
04-17-2006, 08:24 AM
save yourself some headaches and wasted $$$ and just get a used evo. after all is said and done with your swap, you're gonna be in the hole at least $10k w/ parts and labor. BTW, 03's are becoming really cheap nowadays.

ek9_evo9
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
isnt the lancer FWD??
woulnt the engine be more effective if it was dropped into a RWD?
anywaise good luck with the project i know it can be done but you will lose awd, i think its the same for people who take mirages and drop in a evo5 engine. 8)

dohcvtec
04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
isnt the lancer FWD??
woulnt the engine be more effective if it was dropped into a RWD?

eh?

Lancer is FWD, why would it be more effective in RWD? The engine mounts transversly like a FWD.

hphan
04-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Here's an easy way to do it: get MTV to Pimp your Ride. :lol:

Unless you got West Coast Customs on the job you will be looking at an expensive ass conversion..........and you would still be missing the AWD capability. :?

DaveLC2
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
To get all of the parts you need you would almost need to buy a whole car (wrecked or recovered theft) and that might another idea to consider. You may want to buy a wrecked or a recovered theft Evo and go from there so you get the nice rigid chasis and ultra fast steering ratio. I don't want to discourage you but it may be a lot less headaches just buying a used Evo. Probably not what you want to hear. If you want to do a swap just because why do you consider doing the Mirage/Colt hatch back 4G63 swap. That would be stealth 8) I recently saw a used complete Evo motor on CL and they wanted $4,000 for it :shock:

This Mirage (http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/150152262.html) is on craigslist right now for $1,000. Just a thought. I know it's still not an Evo though. It's kinda like building a ITR clone. It's just not the same.

http://b.im.craigslist.org/ov/dC/EVpsQXHThvxlfdf75QrSupBHcLv5.jpg

Dave

earlyapex
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
If you want to do a swap just because why do you consider doing the Mirage/Colt hatch back 4G63 swap. That would be stealth 8) I recently saw a used complete Evo motor on CL and they wanted $4,000 for it :shock:

This Mirage (http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/150152262.html) is on craigslist right now for $1,000. Just a thought. I know it's still not an Evo though. It's kinda like building a ITR clone. It's just not the same.

Swapping a 4g63 into a Non Turbo 91 mirage would probably be just as hard as swapping one into her Lancer. The turbo one is what you want, direct swap, easy cheesy.

Plus it has to be a 4g63 from a DSM, not an evo since the motors are flipped.

back in the days, alot of people wanted to do a 4G63T (turbo) swap into their 1G and 2G non-turbo DSMs. It was always cheaper to just sell the non-turbo DSM and get a turbo DSM. It's not what the people wanted to hear, but it was the truth.

1G turbo motor swaps where actually possible since they use the non-turbo version of the 4G63 but it was still cheaper to just sell the car and buy a turbo car. The 2G non-turbo to turbo swaps where almost impossible, lots of cutting, welding, fabricating, etc since they came with the Chrysler motor which was flipped around , different mounts, etc.

DaveLC2
04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
I think Sport Compact did a story on this swap a while back. It's all 1st gen stuff which I failed to mention. They gave exactly what year parts to go with and part numbers ect. This was a nice write up. It's kind of like the srt-4...It's STILL a Neon :lol:

Dave

pinay8utterfly
04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
:D thanks for the help guys i see how many people ay that i should just switch towards an evo but the thing is that i don't want to. for one thing i'd rather stick with my car because i don't want my insurance rates to go super high. i just want to go throuhg the loop hole...

anyways ahha

i just want to my this car into a project car. i mean i am happy for all the help i can get.

do you think that i could make some money by going to the junkyard and selling the stuff???

i want to make sure that i should be able to do something to my car because i want to.

i know that i can't be able to get all this done in like one month...

give me about how ever long i take and we'll see what happens.
haha :lol:

come on.... haha
my lancer's a project car..... :wink:

for now i would just end up driving the boxter.

dohcvtec
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Personally I think it would be a complete waste. Why do you really want to keep that car so bad? Even if your rates did "go up super high" it would still be cheaper to just buy an Evo. With the Evo you get all the right parts the Lancer is missing. Stiffer chassis, flared fenders, aluminum lower control arms, aluminum hood and fenders, AWD, turbo 4g63, quick steering rack, recaro seats, brembo brakes; and it can remain totally legal, out the box!! The only time I would see it as a benifit would be if the regular lancer hand anything to gain over the evo, but it doesn't anywhere. I can understand these kind of swaps on older mirages and colts, but that is because they weigh 600lbs less than an evo.

MarkSAE
04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Working the bugs out on a project like this would be a total nightmare if you're not technically inclined to do it yourself. For that reason alone, you should not take on a project of this nature.

Being that there is no "drop-in install kit" for an evo engine swap available, it's going to take a lot of R&D hours fabricating parts and figuring everything out. If you're willing to pay for all that R&D, go for it. But you're only going to have a hacked lancer w/ an evo engine in the end, and still won't have an evo.

The novelty of being "the first" to do this swap is probably pretty appealing to you. But in reality, I doubt you'll be satisfied w/ the end product. Reliability should be one of your biggest concerns. Hack jobs do not have anywhere near the reliability compared to a factory built car. I've done enough hack jobs on my previous cars to know better.. hahah..

ZK
04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
i know that i can't be able to get all this done in like one month...

give me about how ever long i take and we'll see what happens.
haha :lol:

come on.... haha
my lancer's a project car..... :wink:

I wouldn't spend money on a project like that... the road is tough and there's not much you can gain. They do make a turbo kit for the Lancer although for the price of that you might as well get another car.

DaveLC2
04-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Another thing I'd be freaked out about is the whole "pop your hood" thing :shock: If they ref'd you it would be all over :(

Dave

EFIxMR
04-19-2006, 12:32 AM
i don't think doing the swap for a shop experienced in that kind of work would be imposssible. it would however be expensive, and much like everyone said in the long run buying a real evo would make much more sense. not to knock your dreams or anything, but the bottom line is that it would still be fwd. and not that i have anything against fwd, as it was what i specialized in for a number of years, but to make fwd work in a performance application the car needs to be small and light... and i don't think the lancer fits in that catagory.

ace33joe
04-19-2006, 02:40 AM
I agree with other members that you may just want to buy an Evo instead of engine swap, but if you really want to keep the regular lancer body and exterior, I would suggest to install a turbo or super charger kit. It may not give you more power than stock Evo engine, but it may give you better balance and less headache to install.

craziazzmofo66
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with other members that you may just want to buy an Evo instead of engine swap, but if you really want to keep the regular lancer body and exterior, I would suggest to install a turbo or super charger kit. It may not give you more power than stock Evo engine, but it may give you better balance and less headache to install.

+1

MitsuMan
04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
really for all the work I would just save and make payments on a evo. You can do it shure but then you have to smog it and get it labled by a ref. and for all the money your going to put into a lancer es its still gonna be a lancer es , handle like crap all kinds of power and then won't be able to stop at all. the smart thing to do would be just wait and get the real thing remember you need the turbo and the intercooler and the ECU and the whole set up we're talking some bank here

pinay8utterfly
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
i look back on this thread and all i see are flames ahaha thanks hehehe

trinydex
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
if it's still gonna be fwd why not just throw the rre turbo kit on it. many lancer owners have donet his with lots of fwd wheel spin.

you should ask other questions

questions like... how do i fit the evo brembos under new 17" wheels.

how do i improve the handling of my car?

do i have to get a cage to improve the chassis rigidity?

ek9_evo9
06-09-2006, 06:59 AM
i look back on this thread and all i see are flames ahaha thanks hehehe

well were not really flaming you, we are just trying to save you some money.
Turboing a non-turbo car is a PITA, its unreliable and expensive. the money you pay for to do the swap will be better spent on other performance parts for your lancer, even as a down for an evo.

vtluu
06-09-2006, 09:24 AM
If you want an Evo, buy an Evo. Don't try to turn a Lancer into an Evo. Others before you have tried and either failed, or spent (a lot) more money than would have cost them to buy the Evo in the first place. Learn from their mistakes.

Lurk
06-13-2006, 01:45 AM
If you want an Evo, buy an Evo. Don't try to turn a Lancer into an Evo. Others before you have tried and either failed, or spent (a lot) more money than would have cost them to buy the Evo in the first place. Learn from their mistakes.

Exactly. A smart person would just start off the right way right off the bat. You can't polish a turd.

lncrevoviii
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Exactly. A smart person would just start off the right way right off the bat. You can't polish a turd.

lol. :lol:
I have read the whole thread and nobody even intended to flame you, I don't know why you would feel that we were flaming you. Everybody is presenting their point of view. And the following is mine:

Have you looked at Turbo Kits available for the Lancer. Greddy, HKS, Apex-i. What about Superchargers. Vortech, Greddy etc. I mean first you gonno pay tons of money just to buy an Evo Engine, then have it custom installed in your lancer. Just buy any turbo kit or supercharger kit for the Lancer and you should be good. I would have done that. Then upgrade the brakes, suspension/handling, bodywork/downforce. Do something unique, not what everyone has tried and either failed or gave up due to money issues and time consumption.

Richie Rich
06-19-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree with increvovili

We do alot of swaping at my friend's shop and the swap your thinking about can be done, but it will be a ton of work to handel this type of job.
We have done swap on cars like 81 Starlet with S2000 motor and cluster(total $10G), Cresida with 1JZ(total $6G), 240's with RB's (total 5 to 7G's), 96 Scubie with STi motor (totatal 9G's) and lots of corolla's(total 2 to 10+G's). Most of this cars where in Mag's

It will take alot of work to do this build and alot of expensive tools and also you will need people in fab to help u out.

I have seeen this project done ( 95 mirage with evo 5 motor, but the sad thing its only front wheel drive)
If your mind is still set on the swap you should look for a shop to help you out, but this job wont be cheap.

I wish you good Luck with your Project