PDA

View Full Version : Advise on TT

r6bruin
04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a used TT (maybe 1998-2000 w/ less than 100k mi) and am wondering if any of you have experience on TT, regarding the performance, reliability, and the market value. Also is there any forum that shows the common problem of the car.

I am also considering 1999-2000 328i/ci sport or 97/98 M3/4... and wondering which one would you consider as a commuter.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :wink:

earlyapex
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Smack is a ex-audi TT whore. Hit him up. I am sure he knows all there is to know.

nebolic
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a used TT (maybe 1998-2000 w/ less than 100k mi) and am wondering if any of you have experience on TT, regarding the performance, reliability, and the market value. Also is there any forum that shows the common problem of the car.

I am also considering 1999-2000 328i/ci sport or 97/98 M3/4... and wondering which one would you consider as a commuter.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :wink:

I'd get a scion/honda fit/ toyota yaris for a commuter car. I'm assuming that you'd probably need to spend a bit of $$$ to upkeep/maintain a 10 yr old european car.

nebo

smack
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Smack is a ex-audi TT whore. Hit him up. I am sure he knows all there is to know.
hey now :)

i've owned a 00' 180 quatro coupe and an 02' 225 vert.

audiworld.com is by far the best site for info on audis.

as far as the cars go i liked mine alot. the 1.8 is bullet proof and there are quite a few aftermarket parts out there now
(not so many when i had mine which was one of the problems) still turbo so there's some easy power with a chip.
the only problems i ever had with either car was occasional electrical glitches. nothing too serious, mainly one touch window roll up and down would
stop working so you had to hold the switch to open or close window. it would come back as soon as you cycled the ignition again.
lol, hard to bitch too much about it since the evo only has one touch down and only on drivers window :)

the thing was rock solid on the freeway (probably all that extra weight)
and drove great. seats were really nice but don't hold you quite as well as the evo seats do.

if i didn't track my cars i would still own one.
just got tired of only being as fast as the boxters and at the time there weren't any turbo options except the mtm 326hp kit which i think was around 8k :shock:

one last thing, if you're looking to mod, just know that parts for german cars are quite a bit more expensive that the evo.

let me know if you have more questions.

r6bruin
04-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Sure Bryan, thanks for the info :)

I'd get a scion/honda fit/ toyota yaris for a commuter car. I'm assuming that you'd probably need to spend a bit of $$$ to upkeep/maintain a 10 yr old european car.

nebo

Yeah I know, however my gf is a Audi fan which is why I am selling my beloved Miata for that. :oops:

earlyapex
04-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Yet you spell quattro wrong. :wink:

I always dug this Audi commerical btw:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2131184977031004836&pl=true

vtluu
04-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah I know, however my gf is a Audi fan which is why I am selling my beloved Miata for that. :oops:
I say keep the Miata and get a new gf. :lol:

I love my Miata as a commuter car. Especially now that the weather is decent again for a change.

r6bruin
04-19-2006, 04:48 PM
hey now :)

audiworld.com is by far the best site for info on audis.

as far as the cars go i liked mine alot. the 1.8 is bullet proof and there are quite a few aftermarket parts out there now
(not so many when i had mine which was one of the problems) still turbo so there's some easy power with a chip.
the only problems i ever had with either car was occasional electrical glitches. nothing too serious, mainly one touch window roll up and down would
stop working so you had to hold the switch to open or close window. it would come back as soon as you cycled the ignition again.
lol, hard to bitch too much about it since the evo only has one touch down and only on drivers window :)

the thing was rock solid on the freeway (probably all that extra weight)
and drove great. seats were really nice but don't hold you quite as well as the evo seats do.

if i didn't track my cars i would still own one.
just got tired of only being as fast as the boxters and at the time there weren't any turbo options except the mtm 326hp kit which i think was around 8k :shock:

one last thing, if you're looking to mod, just know that parts for german cars are quite a bit more expensive that the evo.

let me know if you have more questions.

Thx much for your input, smack. Really appreciate that. What is your personal preference about TT180 vs TT225? Does that worth the extra $? I've seen some TT180 selling for $12k and TT225 selling for $16k... also do you aware of some checklist when buying TT?

Yeah I'm from the Bimmer world, so I know how expensive those mods are. If I get one of the TT I'll probably do chip, wheels, and suspension at most. After all Evo is my fun car and TT is a commuter. :P

smack
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
no brainer, 225 definitely worth the money for the bigger turbo. the 6-speed was nice too.

the 180q box had a super short 1st. (i think to make up for the extra weight compared to the fwd model for 0-60 numbers).
that was my only real complaint about the 180. but there is a big improvement on power between the two and even more so once you chip. the 225 even had dual i/c's

coupe or vert?

the good thing about them is that all the maintanence was free so they should all be taken care off for at least the first 36k 99'-00' and 48k for the 01' and newer.

can't really think of anything tt specific to be on the look out for.

might want to take a look at the audiworld site and post the same questions
to the tt guys. they are actually very helpful.

smack
04-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Yet you spell quattro wrong. :wink:

I always dug this Audi commerical btw:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2131184977031004836&pl=true

sorry i'm too busy to proof read my shit :P

cool vid. i don't remember ever seeing that one.

r6bruin
04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
I say keep the Miata and get a new gf. :lol:

I love my Miata as a commuter car. Especially now that the weather is decent again for a change.

Haha... after all this is no perfect world. Speak of which I was enjoying the sunshine today with the Miata top down... feels so good.

r6bruin
04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
no brainer, 225 definitely worth the money for the bigger turbo. the 6-speed was nice too.

the 180q box had a super short 1st. (i think to make up for the extra weight compared to the fwd model for 0-60 numbers).
that was my only real complaint about the 180. but there is a big improvement on power between the two and even more so once you chip. the 225 even had dual i/c's

coupe or vert?

the good thing about them is that all the maintanence was free so they should all be taken care off for at least the first 36k 99'-00' and 48k for the 01' and newer.

can't really think of anything tt specific to be on the look out for.

might want to take a look at the audiworld site and post the same questions
to the tt guys. they are actually very helpful.

It'll be a coupe. Sure I guess I will put more effort on checking a 225 instead :) Especially good to know that the car should be taken better care of for the 01+.

Thanks!

Boostd4
04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Another bit of insight from a former Audi owner.

I had a 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro and a 2001 S4. I put 18K on the A4 before trading up for the S4, which I put 47K on. I didn't have any problems with the A4 at all, it had an APR 1.0 Bar Ecu and a cat back exhaust. The S4 was good up until 42K miles when the transmission went kaput. Thank God for warranties, because with parts and labor the tranny and labor would have set me back $10K :shock: . The S4 had a GIAC 1.1 bar chip, Forge Diverter Valves, and a Neuspeed Cat back.

Overall they are pretty solid...just keep in mind that once you cross over the 90K mile mark things get expensive...as far as maintenance goes.

r6bruin
04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Another bit of insight from a former Audi owner.

I had a 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro and a 2001 S4. I put 18K on the A4 before trading up for the S4, which I put 47K on. I didn't have any problems with the A4 at all, it had an APR 1.0 Bar Ecu and a cat back exhaust. The S4 was good up until 42K miles when the transmission went kaput. Thank God for warranties, because with parts and labor the tranny and labor would have set me back $10K :shock: . The S4 had a GIAC 1.1 bar chip, Forge Diverter Valves, and a Neuspeed Cat back.

Overall they are pretty solid...just keep in mind that once you cross over the 90K mile mark things get expensive...as far as maintenance goes.

$10k for tranny and labor?! :shock: That's quite a bit...

Actually I'm thinking of getting some with higher miles (i.e. 80k+ mi), might need to think twice about getting one then.

Thanks all for the valuable inputs!

earlyapex
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
$10k for tranny and labor?! :shock: That's quite a bit...

Doesn't surpise me, I heard you have to take tons of things off the S4 to work on it. Also, remember our trannies aren't cheap either! $2750 for the 5spd and $4250 for the 6spd. Add in new clutch, labor, etc... it adds up, espically if you are going by dealer book rates!

smack
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
s4 is a totally different car than the tt though. tt is based off the transverse 1.8
golf/jetta IV platform. things are a bit cheaper and easier to work on than the any on the a4/s4 platforms.

not that any of it is cheap :)