PDA

View Full Version : EVO ECU-Flashing for the masses..

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I have pre-ordered OpenPort 1.3m which ships out next week.

This will allow a user to tune and reflash their ECU. Much like a ECUtek but for the end-user. Think of DSM-link / Hondata.

I will be testing this out in the coming weeks and months and will let the NCE community know all my findings.

This is very exciting. cheers.

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=3029213&postcount=11

Matz
04-25-2006, 02:04 PM

This will allow a user to tune and reflash their ECU. Much like a ECUtek but for the end-user. Think of DSM-link / Hondata.

I will be testing this out in the coming weeks and months and will let the NCE community know all my findings.

Thanks for posting! I'm ordering mine now. :woot:

EvoRicer
04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Damnit! Evo 9 In Progress still!

drunk monkey
04-25-2006, 02:11 PM

thanks for the update! let me know what you think compared to the ecuplus? well i just relize that ecuplus and this can work hand in hand. i guess.

Carlo

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks for the update! let me know what you think compared to the ecuplus? well i just relize that ecuplus and this can work hand in hand. i guess.

Carlo

Yes, this actually flashes your ECU, like ECUtek / Dynoflash / WORKS flash, etc

missred
04-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Carlo

Yes, this actually flashes your ECU, like ECUtek / Dynoflash / WORKS flash, etc

Cool mo info :D

drunk monkey
04-25-2006, 02:28 PM
is the software out yet? i wanted to look at it at work.

Carlo

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 02:49 PM
The software is out, but a earlier version that doesn't support the EVO 8 yet. sooon...

drunk monkey
04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
gotcha keep me posted. if you get good results. imma buy that cable. shit i wonder if i should get that cable now with the fear of the price may go up later once everyone gets on board. hMMmm

we should take brians cable and reverse engineer it and make our own!

Carlo

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
The software will be open-source. :D

Matz
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
gotcha keep me posted. if you get good results. imma buy that cable. shit i wonder if i should get that cable now with the fear of the price may go up later once everyone gets on board. hMMmm

we should take brians cable and reverse engineer it and make our own!

Carlo

The schematics are freely available, I think. I'll take a look, as I'm now registered on the site.

EDIT -- here is a link to the schematics (http://openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=84). You'll have to register to get them, though.

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Teaser shot:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/tech/ecuFLASH/screenshot_327.gif

ob4
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
This is by far the best solution to engine tuning, and brings transparency to the entire flash based tuning. Also, i think it will help those w/ piggyback who sees P0300. Great stuff!
I am ordering a cable!

Also, does anyone knows if ecutek or techtom also uses the obdii port for flashing the ecu?

Matz
04-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Also, does anyone knows if ecutek or techtom also uses the obdii port for flashing the ecu?

I would imagine that both do, but TechTom definitely does.

mitch
04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
How many times can the Evo ECU be reflashed? I always heard the WRX ECU had a limit to the # of times it could be reliably reflashed. Never heard of a failure though, so might be a myth.

earlyapex
04-25-2006, 05:09 PM
How many times can the Evo ECU be reflashed? I always heard the WRX ECU had a limit to the # of times it could be reliably reflashed. Never heard of a failure though, so might be a myth.

Some people say up to 1000, who knows.

EvoRicer
04-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I just ordered mine...im scared the price might go up later on also...hahaha

drunk monkey
04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
are these presales for the cable or are the shipping the out already?

Carlo

EvoRicer
04-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I think they are shipping out next week so Yea...Pre order...

Matz
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Anyone find it interesting that the guy that's helping the primary author is jaytech, or Jason? On evom, they pulled the thread because of rumors that the guy was a shady character. The posts on openecu.org make me think otherwise.

chrisw
04-25-2006, 07:59 PM
interesting. I might have to get a copy

Black_EVO
04-25-2006, 09:03 PM

I would imagine that both do, but TechTom definitely does.

From what I read on EvoM this system is not comatable with ecutek.

ace33joe
04-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh! This is very interesting! Thanks for the great info. Can't wait to see how it will work on EVOs!

Matz
04-25-2006, 10:17 PM
From what I read on EvoM this system is not comatable with ecutek.

That is true. Though both systems use the OBD II port, that does not imply that the ECUFlash can reflash EcuTek-tuned ECUs.

Black_EVO
04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I belive if you buy the software it can be done with the cable interface.

ez76
04-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Anyone find it interesting that the guy that's helping the primary author is jaytech, or Jason? On evom, they pulled the thread because of rumors that the guy was a shady character. The posts on openecu.org make me think otherwise.

It's also possible that they pulled the thread because he was trying to sell something without being a registered vendor.

Matz
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
We'll see what happens. Just bought a used 03 ECU from someone on evom, and I'll do some testing with the ECUFlash on that board before the cable goes anywhere near my car.

drunk monkey
04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
thats a good idea matz. how much was the ecu. i guess it always to good to have a backup. gotta start planning this out.

Carlo

Matz
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
thats a good idea matz. how much was the ecu. i guess it always to good to have a backup. gotta start planning this out.

Carlo

I paid $80, but it's just the board. I am also sending offers to others for fully enclosed ECUs.

I'm also looking around for a SuperH H/539 emulator... if you know where to find one, please let me know.

trinydex
04-30-2006, 08:08 PM
"yahoo"

EvoKid
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM

That thing looks great. The only reason I never got a flash was that I wanted to be able to change stuff, that why I got an Xede.

I thought Hondata & DSMlink were piggybacks??

trinydex
04-30-2006, 08:45 PM
i'm not sure about hondata but dsmlink is not a piggyback but an actual ecu editor. i wouldn't say it's exactly like a flash but it gives you flash capabilities.

EvoKid
04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
If I buy an one(1) OpenPort 1.3M can I use it on my EVO and g/f WRX. Its says that it will work with both cars. Says the IX software is still being developed, but the 06 WRX software is available. Then lower on the page, it says the software is free. So will it work, can I flash multiple cars with one OpenPort 1.3M and the required Subaru and Mitsu software.

Matz
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
If I buy an one(1) OpenPort 1.3M can I use it on my EVO and g/f WRX. Its says that it will work with both cars. Says the IX software is still being developed, but the 06 WRX software is available. Then lower on the page, it says the software is free. So will it work, can I flash multiple cars with one OpenPort 1.3M and the required Subaru and Mitsu software.

Yes.

EvoRicer
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Good new guys, I just received an email from Colby stating that he had sent out my Cable today through Priority Mail. :thumbsup: I should have it by Monday or Tuesday then. Also he said that the Mitsubishi Tuning Software won't be up until Monday or Tuesday since he is rearranging the Website.

EFIxMR
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
tried to order it online but the website didnt seem to work, i couldn't check out...

definately looks promising!

drunk monkey
05-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Good new guys, I just received an email from Colby stating that he had sent out my Cable today through Priority Mail. :thumbsup: I should have it by Monday or Tuesday then. Also he said that the Mitsubishi Tuning Software won't be up until Monday or Tuesday since he is rearranging the Website.

let me know when you get it. once you get i am in like flint to order!

Carlo

EvoKid
05-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Yeah, EvoRicer, when you get it and do a little tuning, please come and give use a full review. I really want to know how it works out.

earlyapex
05-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, EvoRicer, when you get it and do a little tuning, please come and give use a full review.* I really want to know how it works out.

I'll be giving a full review when I get mine all figured out, trust me. ;)

ek9_evo9
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, EvoRicer, when you get it and do a little tuning, please come and give use a full review. I really want to know how it works out.

I'll be giving a full review when I get mine all figured out, trust me. ;)

cant wait to see the results

Matz
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Just got mine, but haven't figured out how it plugs into the ECU. I have a feeling that the guy on evom sold me a different board (i.e. not an Evo8), since the MCU part # on the board is totally not what I had expected. :x That's probably why I can't plug it in.

earlyapex
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Just got mine, but haven't figured out how it plugs into the ECU.* I have a feeling that the guy on evom sold me a different board (i.e. not an Evo8), since the MCU part # on the board is totally not what I had expected.* *:x* That's probably why I can't plug it in.

You probably are having a hard time pluging it into the ECU because the connector plugs into a OBD2 port. ;)

StockEVO
05-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Bwhaaaaa! Open Port

Matz
05-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Just got mine, but haven't figured out how it plugs into the ECU. I have a feeling that the guy on evom sold me a different board (i.e. not an Evo8), since the MCU part # on the board is totally not what I had expected. :x That's probably why I can't plug it in.

You probably are having a hard time pluging it into the ECU because the connector plugs into a OBD2 port. ;)

Umm... yeah, but what's that white plug for?

Ah, I didn't look at it closely enough. I thought I could use either one or the other, but clearly there's only one wire going from that plug to the OBD connector. I thought that I should be able to use the white plug to program the ECU on the benchtop. Remember that I'm planning to do this out of the car first. :) I guess I'll just have to hack up my OBD II extension cable so I can solder the connections directly to the PCB.

earlyapex
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Just got mine, but haven't figured out how it plugs into the ECU.* I have a feeling that the guy on evom sold me a different board (i.e. not an Evo8), since the MCU part # on the board is totally not what I had expected.* *:x* That's probably why I can't plug it in.

Umm... yeah, but what's that white plug for?

Ah, I didn't look at it closely enough.* I thought I could use either one or the other, but clearly there's only one wire going from that plug to the OBD connector.* I thought that I should be able to use the white plug to program the ECU on the benchtop.* Remember that I'm planning to do this out of the car first.* :)* I guess I'll just have to hack up my OBD II extension cable so I can solder the connections directly to the PCB.

The white plug plugs into the port right behind the OBD2 port. This is to put the ECU into test mode so it can be read/reflashed.

EvoRicer
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Bryan, have u received your cable already? Is the 1.25 really the newest version software for us? Is it working for you?

Matz
05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
The white plug plugs into the port right behind the OBD2 port. This is to put the ECU into test mode so it can be read/reflashed.

Me == dumbass. At least no one can say RTFM since there isn't one. :lol:

earlyapex
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Bryan, have u received your cable already? Is the 1.25 really the newest version software for us? Is it working for you?

yes, got my cable today. 1.25 is not the newest version. They are posting this week.

EvoKid
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
any updates

Matz
05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
any updates

v1.26 was released this afternoon. I have my cable, but won't have a chance to download the stock ROM until tomorrow afternoon.

vtluu
05-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Got the cable. Got the drivers. Got the software. All I'm missing... um... is my Evo. :(

I'm really starting to think Bugformance is building my cage by atomic deposition. Holy jeez are they lagging...

In the meantime, I'm going to wire a toggle switch to my ECU+ so that I can enable the car's OBDII port (which is needed for the OpenPort cable to work, I presume).

Matz
05-11-2006, 05:45 AM
I'm really starting to think Bugformance is building my cage by atomic deposition. Holy jeez are they lagging...

In the meantime, I'm going to wire a toggle switch to my ECU+ so that I can enable the car's OBDII port (which is needed for the OpenPort cable to work, I presume).

That's what you get for requesting that it get made out of unobtainium. :lol:

Thanks for the reminder about the jumper on the ECU+. I had totally forgotten about that.

EvoRicer
05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I downloaded my Stock Evo 9 Rom last night when I got home from work. I don't know how it looks for the 8 but most of the Parameters still have XXX's. The flashing portion for the Evo 9 probably won't be out for the Evo 9 for a bit.

earlyapex
05-11-2006, 02:53 PM
I downloaded my Stock Evo 9 Rom last night when I got home from work.* I don't know how it looks for the 8 but most of the Parameters still have XXX's.* The flashing portion for the Evo 9 probably won't be out for the Evo 9 for a bit.

The Mivec tables are interesting aren't they?

Targets up to 24* (!) cam advance at some points then goes down to 0 advance at 6,000rpm. That really reveals that the Mivec is really for spoolup/torque and response and brings the intake cam advance down to 0 to allow more flow up top where the larger evo 9 turbo takes over.

I wonder if the Mivec mechinism can also retard the intake cam as well. That would be really cool to move from advancing the intake cam down low and midrange to retarding it up top to allow more flow and produce more HP.

trinydex
05-11-2006, 04:39 PM
i wonder too, i hope it's a free moving gear but i have the feeling that it's not and that it's "bottomed" at 0 degrees. i'm sure you could offset the bottom but then it'd be a matter of tuning because it would skew everything like depending on how many degrees you offset it'd be 1-4 is now -4 - -1 and then 5-24 is 1-19, that would be impossible to deal with unless you redefined everything :\

EvoKid
05-20-2006, 01:13 AM
anyone have an idea when we can flash the IX with OpenECU

Matz
05-20-2006, 01:14 PM
anyone have an idea when we can flash the IX with OpenECU

Your best bet is to just keep hitting up http://www.openecu.org and look at the forums.

On another note, who here knows how to help me use ECUFlash to work with my Helix 720cc injectors? I've been sitting on them for a month now and haven't put them in. :(

chrisw
05-20-2006, 05:20 PM
My EVO has had the p0300 fix. I can read the ROM from the ECU, but the definitions have changed.

Anyone have a '03 ROM they want to share?

EFIxMR
05-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately Chris, the P0300 rom has the x and y axis for fuel and timing all jarbled when i try and open it. I'll see if i can talk to the guys at mynes to see what I gotta do to make it work.

chrisw
05-20-2006, 06:15 PM
ok, I understand that. But I really don't need to maintain that p0300 fix because it didn't really work. I still get that error code every now and then if I leave my Creader unplugged.

If we have a straight '03 ROM image, we can start there instead.

Matz
05-20-2006, 09:22 PM
ok, I understand that. But I really don't need to maintain that p0300 fix because it didn't really work. I still get that error code every now and then if I leave my Creader unplugged.

If we have a straight '03 ROM image, we can start there instead.

I'm going into the garage right now to modify my ECU+ OBD jumper. I'm going to try to download the stock ROM then. I'll post it when I have it. Hopefully, when WORKS removed the P2 from my ECU, they didn't put in the one with the P0300 fix.

EDIT -- Ok, just finished the ECU+ mod and downloaded my ROM. Here it is! (http://evo8.initialdproject.com/ECUFlash/Matz2003StockEvo8.hex)

chrisw
05-21-2006, 09:27 AM
cool, I can read that ROM properly. Looks like a stock '03 ROM to me....

EFIxMR
05-21-2006, 11:17 AM
have you dled your stock rom yet? if you have send it to me and ill see if i have an 03' rom which fits your ecu.

chrisw
05-21-2006, 11:30 AM
have you dled your stock rom yet? if you have send it to me and ill see if i have an 03' rom which fits your ecu.

I have not tried yet.* Just need to confirm what to do with the imobilizer code.

Which BTW, everyone should be very careful about keeping this value private.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3106410

For what it's worth, the map that I downloaded from MalibuJack looks to be the same as what Matz provided.

Matz
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I have not tried yet. Just need to confirm what to do with the imobilizer code.
Which BTW, everyone should be very careful about keeping this value private.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3106410

Thanks for the warning, Chris! Did I miss something? I didn't see anything regarding the immobilizer in the ECUflash GUI, so I didn't worry about it. Please let me know. I've pulled my ROM from my site for the time being, just in case.

earlyapex
05-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Did I miss something? I didn't see anything regarding the immobilizer in the ECUflash GUI, so I didn't worry about it. Please let me know.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/tech/ecuFLASH/ecu_flash_immobilizer.gif

;)

Matz
05-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Did I miss something? I didn't see anything regarding the immobilizer in the ECUflash GUI, so I didn't worry about it. Please let me know.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/tech/ecuFLASH/ecu_flash_immobilizer.gif

;)

Wasn't in my ROM.

chrisw
05-21-2006, 02:56 PM

;)

Wasn't in my ROM.

you need to turn no the advanced menus. (that's kind of lame IMHO, really bad for security)*

So I reverted my ECU to the base '03 map. I can now properly read the maps read from my ECU!

Using the software for the first time is a little nerve wracking :shock: :lol:

But it works. Now I have to change my XEDE to a data logging role, and start some real tuning. 8)

earlyapex
05-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Wasn't in my ROM.

Yes it is. that is your ROM. ;)

Like Chris said, you need to turn on Advanced under options.

Matz
05-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Wasn't in my ROM.

Yes it is. that is your ROM. ;)

Like Chris said, you need to turn on Advanced under options.

Oh sh*t, everyone's got my ROM now! What do I do? Can someone figure out who downloaded it? Can I reprogram my immobilizer code? I'm gonna get my car alarm installed ASAP.

Just kidding. Thanks for letting me know. Anyone know where the immobilizer code is so I can overwrite it before I repost the ROM?

EDIT -- ok, dumb question. Just modify the value and then reupload...duh.

vtluu
05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Doesn't the immobilizer code have to match against the code in the separate immobilizer ECU anyway? (I'd heard there was a separate ECU for the immobilizer; I always thought it was just the engine ECU.)

Matz
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Doesn't the immobilizer code have to match against the code in the separate immobilizer ECU anyway? (I'd heard there was a separate ECU for the immobilizer; I always thought it was just the engine ECU.)

I'm not sure. In the FSM, it looks like the immobilizer is a separate block, but it could also be the other Mitsu chip on the ECU PCB. Oh well, I ended up changing the immobilizer code and reuploading, just in case. Of course, it's already too late and now Bryan and Chris may be able to run off with my car. :lol:

earlyapex
05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Some cars its matched to the actual ignition key, not sure if the evo is the same.

chrisw
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Some cars its matched to the actual ignition key, not sure if the evo is the same.

I think it's to the key, but any way...

drove into work with this "new" map and the car definately feels different. Have not had the chance to do any real 3rd gear pulls yet so I don't know if my car is any more or less knock prone than before.

Matz
06-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Hey Bryan, do you still need your laptop set up? Please PM me your address.