PDA

View Full Version : Which Exhaust to Buy??

Evil EV0
04-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Well, I'll be buying an exhaust soon, but I cant decide which one I want. I do want a turbo back, but I dont mind getting different brands as long as they fit well together. My first choice was the XS Ti catback, then I decided for sure I was going to get the Helix TB, now im kinda thinking I might go with the Espelir or an Invidia. What do you guys think. I want something that fits good, without having to use spacers, 2 gaskets etc...also with the DP I dont want any problems with it heating the oil pan. Any sugesstions is appreciated. TIA

Oh almsot forgot, it needs to sound good too, not tinny/ricey. I just bought an Invidia for our S2K and I love how mean they sound, but some people say they are too loud.

Pete

warpspeed
04-13-2004, 04:49 AM
We did a exhaust round-up on one of our meets. It's in one of the gallery. Check it out to compare. Also, take in consideration of how the cops are over in your area. I mean, you buy expensive exhaust and then a cop pulls you over of a modified exhaust and you have to take it out then why have one. The CHP are cracking down on modified exhaust. Trust me, I got pulled over twice already for my RMR but since I have papers for my RMR, he couldn't do anything. So ya, check our exhaust round up. In my opinion I like the Greddy Ti because it sounds good and sits right in the middle, not angled.

SouthernCrane
04-13-2004, 07:27 AM
We did a exhaust round-up on one of our meets. It's in one of the gallery. Check it out to compare.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album57&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Evil EV0
04-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah the cops arent to picky around here Modesto area well not yet anyways. I like the Greddy Ti as well, but cant bring myself to pay that much for an exhaust. Think I may just go with the Helix DP and Catback and leave the stock cat in place.

robi
04-14-2004, 12:24 PM
BUSCHUR light, inexpensive, and quiet with the magnaflow option. (I love the sound of the origonal though).

BluEvo
04-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah the cops arent to picky around here Modesto area well not yet anyways. I like the Greddy Ti as well, but cant bring myself to pay that much for an exhaust. Think I may just go with the Helix DP and Catback and leave the stock cat in place.
i felt the same way. the greddy ti is a beauty, but the cost will break off a good chunk of the paycheck. i have the Helix catback for now, but waiting to get the dp soon. i'm satisfied with the sound, look, quality and service. PM Cal (blitzkrgCT9A) at Gruppe-S for the Helix exhaust & dp, i think they have a combo special on the Helix set-up.

EvoVIII
04-14-2004, 06:02 PM
HKS Carbon Ti

chris
04-14-2004, 06:08 PM
BUSCHUR light, inexpensive, and quiet with the magnaflow option. (I love the sound of the origonal though).

right on =D although i should of went with the magnaflow option. oh well...

chrisw
04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
I always loved the sound of my Buschur exhaust on my DSM...

Sorta sounded like a indy car @ WOT with a dynomax muffler :D

But these days, with the cop magnet I currently drive, I think the RMR is the wiser choice.

Takashi
04-14-2004, 06:51 PM
what about fujitsubo? their exhausts seem to be great quality and pretty tame sound...

Evil EV0
04-15-2004, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I have been in contact with Cal about the exhaust. A friend of ours just bought an EVO and he just ordered the Buscher turboback with magnaflow muffler, so I'll get to hear it in person soon. Im gonna have to pass on HKS though, I've always had HKS on all my cars and am kinda getting tired of them. Actually just sold our HKS exhaust off our S2000 and got an Invidia :D

BluEVO...Is the Helix really that loud? I heard some sound clip's it sounds pretty good, kinda deep, which is what I like , but some people say its too loud?

evo_dadi
04-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I have been in contact with Cal about the exhaust. A friend of ours just bought an EVO and he just ordered the Buscher turboback with magnaflow muffler, so I'll get to hear it in person soon. Im gonna have to pass on HKS though, I've always had HKS on all my cars and am kinda getting tired of them. Actually just sold our HKS exhaust off our S2000 and got an Invidia :D

BluEVO...Is the Helix really that loud? I heard some sound clip's it sounds pretty good, kinda deep, which is what I like , but some people say its too loud?

what's loud ;) cmon pete go helix turboback then a test pipe :):)

chris
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
i don't think the helix is that loud with a stock cat. friend of mines has it. sounds kool. but i like my BR better cuz it sounds mean =P

evotistic
04-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Espelir JGT500R.....Has an angle-exit tip, sounds great at low rpm and WOT, and sells at www.roadraceengineering.com for $490 plus shipping. overall mean tone, good power gain, and excellent look. Also comes with papers similar to RMR exhaust, showing compliance with california vehicle codes for replacement exhaust and 95db sound law.

Takashi
04-15-2004, 04:20 PM
does the espelir have a resonator? (not within the muffler section, but along the piping)

GokuSSJ4
04-15-2004, 09:37 PM
if you dont care about sounds wise , and just mainly performace .. then Buschur all the way !!! the lightest and its been proven to make some nice gains ....

MarkSAE
04-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Where is everyone getting pulled over by CHP for having an exhaust? Is it mostly in the east bay around the street racing areas?

Evil EV0
04-16-2004, 04:04 AM
LOL evo dadi....this coming form someone who pulled off his intake so he wouldnt get hastled by the cops :) j/k...Yeah I might go with the Helix but might just go with a high flow cat instead of test pipe...who knows. But thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

evo_dadi
04-16-2004, 06:25 AM
LOL evo dadi....this coming form someone who pulled off his intake so he wouldnt get hastled by the cops :) j/k...Yeah I might go with the Helix but might just go with a high flow cat instead of test pipe...who knows. But thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

dang it :oops: got me on that one but i just got an intake pipe now.smoother flow and stock box for stealth mod.helix's gonna be nice man :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xchoirboy
04-16-2004, 06:39 AM
I think the greddy looks sweet just can't imagine paying that much it. :? o well just my opinion.

Evil EV0
04-16-2004, 10:25 PM
I agree the Greddy does look nice but too much $$ I like the look of teh Turbo XS, Espelir and a few others, but for teh price of one of those in a catback I can get a full truboback. Although that price of $490 from road race is damn good on the Espelir

ob4
04-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Greddy ti is very nice. One of the lightest exhaust. Less then 10lbs. A true 3", no taper and it's the cheapest Ti exhaust that you can get. btw, i have it on my car :D

-ob4

SilverBullet
04-17-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree the Greddy ti sounds nice and looks nice...if u got the $$$ buy it ...by the way I also have it :) :)

Evil EV0
04-18-2004, 06:26 PM
so what sre you guys saying...you have to have $$ to buy the Greddy Ti? LOL...j/k..I actually considered it, but the way I look at it I can get my car reflashed and full turbo back for almost the price of just the catback.

EvoVIII
04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
is that Greddy Ti 80mm? ain't that more then 3inch? I think is a little too big..... maybe u'll loose lots of torque and low end....

Evil EV0
04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
LOL..Ok I changed my mind again...Im going with the Turbo XS DP, Catback w/titanium tip and Random Tech high flow cat. I know it will cost me more than the Helix, but I think I'll be a lot happier with it.

Anyone have any pix or sound clips of the XS mounted?

brwnrice
04-19-2004, 09:43 PM
so what sre you guys saying...you have to have $$ to buy the Greddy Ti? LOL...j/k..I actually considered it, but the way I look at it I can get my car reflashed and full turbo back for almost the price of just the catback.

thats what i did :buds:

kimmievo
04-19-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm saving up as right now for my GReddy carbon-ti exhaust....it'll will take a few months, but IMO, well worth it.

Evil EV0
04-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah...The greddy is just too much for me...I dont mean price wise, I could buy it but I just cant justify spending that much on just a catback. I can get the full turbo xs with high flow cat for almost the price of the greddy. They are very nice, but I think the XS is pretty nice as well for the price.

kimmievo
04-20-2004, 08:39 AM
ooops, sorry, my bad...I meant the HKS carbon-ti exhaust!

evo_dadi
04-20-2004, 09:27 AM
hks carbon-ti'a are nice also and my buddy has that on his car.but for some reason i like how it sounds better on a wrx :(

GokuSSJ4
04-20-2004, 09:44 AM
AVO makes a nice turbo back and now they will have available a 3" all the way through design ....

Evil EV0
04-21-2004, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I'll probably change my mind again...Its never been this hard to pick an exhaust before :)

uhoh_evo
04-21-2004, 08:20 AM
anyone know much about the 5zigen exhaust? i was just browsing the net and came across it somewhere and listened to the sound clip and i really like the deepness in pitch. rrrraaaawwwwwhhhhhh :o

TSi_2_EVO
04-26-2004, 02:25 AM
I am also curious about the 5zigen Fireball cat-back. Any info is appriciated! 3-inch? resonators? etc.

Thanks

Evil EV0
04-26-2004, 03:19 AM
LOL, well I might have my turboback after all. If the deal goes through, im getting a Helix dp, Pruven test pipe (which will be for sale) and an Invidia Catback. I'll most likely go with a high flow cat instead of test pipe.

kataklyzm
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
dont mean to thread-jack, but who makes turbo-back exhausts, and where can i find them? alot of the ones i see bolt up after the 02 housing

AlwayzEVOlving
04-29-2004, 08:52 PM
There is an exhaust that I saw on an EVO in a magazine but I am unsure of who makes it.....the unique feature I liked was the slightly turned down exhaust tip right were it exits the bumper cut-out. Any ideas? I am not sure if this is thread hack----sorry if it is.

thanks.

evo_dadi
04-29-2004, 08:54 PM
i think vishnu is the only place that sells exhausts that bolts up to the o2 housing.RNR can make you one also but its more of a custom thing.

Evil EV0
05-04-2004, 03:14 AM
Just an update. I have the Invidia catback installed and I love it. Anyone else have the Invidia? It sounds pretty mello and has a nice growl when you get on it. I havent installed the DP yet, probaly gonna have a shop do it, cant get the car up on my ramps (too low) Also Im ordering an Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, hopefully I wont egt any CEL's :)

LOL we also have an Invidia on our S2K...WOW, if you have ever heard an S with an Invidia, its freakin crazy. It doesnt sound bad when your outside the car, but inside good luck even thinking :D

Evil EV0
05-04-2004, 03:15 AM
evo dadi...Havent seen you on in a while...Hows your dynoflash?

evo_dadi
05-04-2004, 07:28 AM
evo dadi...Havent seen you on in a while...Hows your dynoflash?

:sneaky:

so far so good :skid: :peace: :crazyeyes: i was gonna make a write up for it but i havent had much chance lately.im in the market again for an exhaust but dunno what to get :crazyeyes:

JanSolo
05-04-2004, 07:59 AM
What exhaust does Dynoflash recommend? I bet Al recommends the Vishnu Signature +++++.

GReddy_917
05-04-2004, 12:41 PM
What exhaust does Dynoflash recommend? I bet Al recommends the Vishnu Signature +++++.

Having more bends than any other exhaust is how the "Signature" convinces you of its quality...kinda like convincing a Mitsubishi tech that your high performance bleeder valve isn't a warrantee violation and its not there to "control?" boost, and has nothing to do with your "stealth" aftermarket flash that just happends to be causing detonation.

SouthernCrane
05-04-2004, 12:55 PM

Having more bends than any other exhaust is how the "Signature" convinces you of its quality...kinda like convincing a Mitsubishi tech that your high performance bleeder valve isn't a warrantee violation and its not there to "control?" boost, and has nothing to do with your "stealth" aftermarket flash that just happends to be causing detonation.

Man everyone is making fun [edited for chris] of my exhaust :cry: A few good things about it is that it doesn't have a resonator (even though it does have more bends), quiet tone, and a lifetime warranty.

chris
05-04-2004, 01:39 PM
i don't hate your exhaust. but im not in favor as well =X

GReddy_917
05-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Man everyone is making fun [edited for chris] of my exhaust :cry: A few good things about it is that it doesn't have a resonator (even though it does have more bends), quiet tone, and a lifetime warranty.

Sorry Bryan...I had to use my recently given freedom to shit talk... please do not view it as a personal attack :P

...feel free to harass my Tanabe exhaust if you desire.

evo_dadi
05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
lol man im missing a lot of funstuff here :) but i think any exhaust works as long as it has a "boost simulator" ;)

vtluu
05-05-2004, 01:30 AM
lol man im missing a lot of funstuff here :) but i think any exhaust works as long as it has a "boost simulator" ;)
:werd: :woowoo:

CollinsT
05-06-2004, 11:49 AM

I have the helix cat-back, and I say I love it. Just like Blue_evo awesome piece of metal for an exhaust. I like how loud it is. My friend keeps on telling me how the exhasut sounds cool and he drives a mustang

erikgj
12-28-2004, 09:45 AM
LOL, well I might have my turboback after all. If the deal goes through, im getting a Helix dp, Pruven test pipe (which will be for sale) and an Invidia Catback. I'll most likely go with a high flow cat instead of test pipe.

Still like you Invidia exhaust? I am thinking about picking one up myself. But I have a few questions. Is it a full 3" all the way through? Any idea how much it weighs? How is the sound in the car and out. I will likely go with a Hi-flow cat and down pipe also?

Evo8andahalf
12-28-2004, 08:33 PM
what about the apexi ti gt spec exhaust

jbenosa
12-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Big up to all the members reppin' HKS Hi-Powers!

onesicklambo
12-29-2004, 12:06 AM
hey guys, have any of you heard the JIC? I am looking at getting the JIC s/s cat back (only $550) and ive just ordered a d/p and cat delete with perrin O2 sim. My question is...is everyones car different, ex. could my car throw a check engine light(becuase of the cat delete) and someone elses not? Im kinda iffy on the cat delete thats why i got the simulator, if it does get a check light, how hard is the o2 sim to install? Thanks!(not tryin to jack the thread sorry)

robi
12-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Free est flowing is the Buschur...

MarkSAE
12-29-2004, 10:04 AM
hey guys, have any of you heard the JIC? I am looking at getting the JIC s/s cat back (only $550) and ive just ordered a d/p and cat delete with perrin O2 sim. My question is...is everyones car different, ex. could my car throw a check engine light(becuase of the cat delete) and someone elses not? Im kinda iffy on the cat delete thats why i got the simulator, if it does get a check light, how hard is the o2 sim to install? Thanks!(not tryin to jack the thread sorry)

I would rather use a spark plug anti-fouler to shim out the rear o2 sensor instead of using an o2 simulator (I hate splicing into the factory wiring).