PDA

View Full Version : MPG challenge

EFIxMR
05-03-2006, 09:50 PM
with gas prices at an all time high, i think it be interesting to see what kinda mpg our cars are getting and with what tune.

so far im at a all time high...

168 with half a tank left with my special surprise ecu tuning.

Evo8andahalf
05-03-2006, 09:59 PM
wow i have no tune and i can barely get 150 to half a tank.. :?

earlyapex
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
hehe, half a tank is pretty subjective.

how many gallons to 168?

Best I have got so far is 26mpg. That was about 295 for 11.5 gallons if I remember correctly.

MarkSAE
05-03-2006, 10:15 PM
The # of miles you get at half tank will vary from car to car. It'll even vary on the same car depending on which gas station you pump at. If your car is parked on a slope when you're pumping, it'll skew your numbers.

It's times like these that make me glad I got my EG hatch for daily driving. If I drive like a grandma, I can average 43-44 mpg. Most of the time I drive it pretty hard, so I average 37-38 mpg. But now that summer's rolling around, I'll have to suffer w/ no AC to save at the pump. :D

EFIxMR
05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
thats some impressive mpg!

XVeloX
05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
i think my record was 29mpg in the evo lol Ok so it was a road trip from East Bay to San Diego, so i cheated. Going 70 for 4 hours till you see an STi can really bump up that mpg. Recently though with just average mobbing around ive been around 21-22... usually like 250 somethin miles on 11.5 or so gallons, and no i don't drive like a grandma...

nebolic
05-03-2006, 10:40 PM
ehhh how about you do this

fill up your tank
reset your trip meter
run it till you need gas
fill up
read your trip meter
xxx/what you just filled up = your mileage per gallon.

that is a better representation of what mpg then reading your half tank. half tank don't mean crap cause it's off to your true tank.

nebo

EFIxMR
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
true, im not finished with this tank yet. kinda just thought i'd throw that out there for fun to get started.

no way i can beat 40 mpg. most i ever got on the stock ecu was 290, if i could just match that now id be happy.

earlyapex
05-03-2006, 11:04 PM
i think my record was 29mpg in the evo lol Ok so it was a road trip from East Bay to San Diego, so i cheated. Going 70 for 4 hours till you see an STi can really bump up that mpg. Recently though with just average mobbing around ive been around 21-22... usually like 250 somethin miles on 11.5 or so gallons, and no i don't drive like a grandma...'

70mph sure, but 80-85mph = ass gas mileage.

I just drove down to OC last weekend and back, averaging around 80-85mph.

My mileage sucked.

SilverStreak
05-03-2006, 11:14 PM
I get crappy gas mileage. All my driving is city driving...so I get around 220-230 per tank. Not too bad since my old civic used to give me 200 before it needed a fillup.

It's not too bad since the work commute is about a mile. What is killing me is my addiction to driving this car. I try and find random excuses to go out and drive the car...I used to normally fill up once, twice a month max. As it stands right now..I will be refilling at least double that this month. :shock:

What's even sadder is the fact that despite gas prices are rising (which is a pain)-a fill up at the gas station means I get to drive the car again...when I fill up gas again-it means I can drive the car more...never ending cycle-and every trip to the pump just burns more money, and fuels my addiction to drive.

mygsx
05-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Since were on the topic of mpg for our cars What Gasoline Stations do you guys prefer to gas up at & why (Chevron,Shell,76,Etc..) ?

On the topic my car used to once hit 300 on my odometer while driving back and forth to Stockton & Alameda for work everyday. No a days driving around ill average about 275-285 depending whether i grandma drive or not.

vtluu
05-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Recently drove to Thunderhill and back in the Evo. Cruising between 65-70 mph, averaged around 30 mpg each way.

It used to be I'd have to cruise below 65 mph to get 30 mpg. Mileage seems to have gotten better with the upgrade to the '05 ECU. All the weight reduction I've done to the car might also be helping, although the car isn't exactly "light" when carrying a set of race tires and 30 gallons of racing fuel in the trunk.

I've easily hit 30 mpg on long drives in the Evo. It's pretty simple: coast down hills, keep a light foot on the gas pedal (accelerate slowly) and go slow. I keep telling people fuel consumption goes up almost as a square function of speed at freeway speeds, yet nobody pays attention...

It's like endurance racing strategy: by going a little bit slower, you can make up the time you lost by not having to stop for gas. I know this to be true because I'll notice some particular car pass me about 1/4 of the way down to Lancaster (a 350-mile trip mostly down I-5), and then they'll pass me again about 3/4 of the way there. The only way that happened is that I passed by them while they were stopped for gas. I usually make it to Lancaster just as the gas idiot light goes on--350 miles, just under 12 gallons of fuel used.

mtsevovii
05-03-2006, 11:40 PM
is there any device or system that we can install into our cars that will show the mpg? like on alot of luxury cars.

vtluu
05-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Reset the trip odometer when you fill up. Look at the trip odometer next time you fill up. Divide miles by gallons (it takes to fill the tank again). 8)

Some OBD-II loggers can compute MPG as well. For example: http://www.nology.com/pdadyno.html

EFIxMR
05-04-2006, 01:00 AM
come to think of it i once cracked 305 on one tank with half a gallon left which meant i burned about 13.5.

30 mpg that some of you are reporting is pretty awesome though. i gotta try driving slower. i typically do an indicated 70 mph or whatever traffic is moving at.

Matz
05-04-2006, 05:34 AM
A consistent 24.5 MPG here these days with cams and no tune.

Unowned
05-04-2006, 08:46 AM
i get about 17-18 MPG when i take the Evo never freeway driving :(

blueskies
05-04-2006, 05:13 PM
i'm happy when i break 20mpg. usually i seem to get 17-18mpg.

my best was 26.58mpg. discussed it here (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6702&highlight=gas+milage).

vtluu
05-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Soon I'll be lucky to get 15 mpg highway :shock:... but that'll be with the Evo riding on a trailer towed by a gas-guzzling V8 pickup truck. :lol:

I noticed that although my Miata doesn't get very good mileage--about 30 mpg at a 70 mph cruise (and that's with a normally-aspirated 1.8L 142 hp engine!), the mileage doesn't get much worse when I go faster. I went to Lancaster at a 75 mph cruise, with the AC on, and still averaged about 28 mpg. Doing that in the Evo would have just murdered fuel economy.

Another interesting thing is that the "Grapevine test" seems to indicate my Evo is actually more aerodynamic than my Miata. Going back up north on I-5, there's something like a 4-mile-long straight downhill stretch that's the final part of the Grapevine descent. I basically put the tranny in neutral and coast all the way down, letting the car go as fast as it will go (hey, I paid for all the gas I used to go uphill, I'm not going to throw money away by slowing the car down in the downhill part!). Speed should only be limited only by aerodynamic drag and driveline friction. In my Evo, that ends up being a bit over 90 mph. The Miata can't quite get to 80 mph. I doubt the RWD Miata has more driveline friction than the Evo, so it must mean the Miata has a greater aerodynamic cross-section per weight, compared to the Evo. Go figure.

dohcvtec
05-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I say someone create a flash for us to run on 87 octane. :)

SJCoruja
05-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I say someone create a flash for us to run on 87 octane. :)

LOL That was actually part of my "master plan" with my Safc2 and MBC, and now may end up being ECU+ and EBC....want to create an "economy" map that REALLY lowers the boost and leans out the fuel. :D

MarkSAE
05-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Another interesting thing is that the "Grapevine test" seems to indicate my Evo is actually more aerodynamic than my Miata. Going back up north on I-5, there's something like a 4-mile-long straight downhill stretch that's the final part of the Grapevine descent. I basically put the tranny in neutral and coast all the way down, letting the car go as fast as it will go (hey, I paid for all the gas I used to go uphill, I'm not going to throw money away by slowing the car down in the downhill part!). Speed should only be limited only by aerodynamic drag and driveline friction. In my Evo, that ends up being a bit over 90 mph. The Miata can't quite get to 80 mph. I doubt the RWD Miata has more driveline friction than the Evo, so it must mean the Miata has a greater aerodynamic cross-section per weight, compared to the Evo. Go figure.

I have to poke some holes in your theory Tam. ;) Aerodynamic drag is a direct function of frontal face area and is not affected by weight. Although I get what you're trying to say about aero drag per weight.

To simplify things, let's just say the two main sources of drag is aero and driveline losses/rolling resistance. If you draw a free-body diagram, you'll have two forces acting against the motion of the car. The only force moving the car forward will be weight.

From what you described, it sounds like the evo has more force to overcome its' aerodynamic drag, which is why it reaches a higher termincal velocity. You can look up the manufacturer's coefficient of drag #s for each car. I'm willing to bet that the miata is more aerodynamic. ;)

EV0LL
05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Haha Mark beat me to it. Ya the EV0 is a brick in comparison to the Miata.

I wonder what MPG the RS guys get w/out that rear wing on the trunk and the slightly lighter weight.

vtluu
05-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Aerodynamic drag is a direct function of frontal face area and is not affected by weight. Although I get what you're trying to say about aero drag per weight.
Right, as I said. Weight is the force accelerating the car downhill. The greater the mass of the car, the greater that force (but it's applied on a greater mass so acceleration remains the same). Aerodynamic drag is a force working against the car's direction of motion. At a given speed it remains constant regardless of weight. Which is why an Evo made of styrofoam will roll downhill more slowly than an Evo made of lead.

Aerodynamics are a tricky thing--what looks more aerodynamic isn't necessarily so.

Of course there are other things that could explain why my Miata coasted 10+ mph slower than my Evo. Wind, for example.

MarkSAE
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Right, as I said. Weight is the force accelerating the car downhill. The greater the mass of the car, the greater that force (but it's applied on a greater mass so acceleration remains the same). Aerodynamic drag is a force working against the car's direction of motion. At a given speed it remains constant regardless of weight. Which is why an Evo made of styrofoam will roll downhill more slowly than an Evo made of lead.

Aerodynamics are a tricky thing--what looks more aerodynamic isn't necessarily so.

Of course there are other things that could explain why my Miata coasted 10+ mph slower than my Evo. Wind, for example.

haha.. okay, now that you reiterated what you said in your earlier post, i realized I misinterpreted the "per weight" part. Ooops.. :oops:

ek9_evo9
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
my gas milage blows, imma just drop my civic engine in my evo and perpatrate for a while.

24 hwy and 13 city estimated.

although the higher gas prices, my wife still likes to drive it like she stole it

vtluu
05-05-2006, 08:46 AM
:shock: You should try shifting to 3rd and higher gears sometime. :lol:

gOt BoOsT
05-05-2006, 08:52 AM
DAMN you all...270 is the BEST i've done with 12.5 gallons (stock ecu/ cams) Now i pulled 225 and i had a little less than 1/4 tank left(all freeway to the last meet). I probably would get better mileage(if i wasn't a boost addict), but i didn't buy or mod the sh!t out of my evo to get good gas mileage :twisted:

gOt BoOsT
05-05-2006, 08:55 AM
usually i get 150ish with my lead foot driving me :wink:

ek9_evo9
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
:shock: You should try shifting to 3rd and higher gears sometime. :lol:

:twisted:

toasty
05-05-2006, 10:12 AM
240 mile on a stock, only mod is the drop-in filter HKS hybrid filter. typically speed I drive is about 70-80 mph. Mostly freeway travel. :lol:

chrisw
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I am getting ~280/tank right now which has been fairly consistant.

SpeedElement
05-05-2006, 07:56 PM
about 280 miles per tank on my 03.. the 06 is about 265...not sure why

EFIxMR
05-06-2006, 12:13 AM
shooting fireballs out of my exhaust yesterday night definately killed my mpg. when the light came on i was at 256 or so, doing the math at the pump it was about 20 mpg...

this time im gonna take tams advice and drive slow :)

chrisw
05-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I could probably crack 310-315 per tank but going over that fricken hill kills my millage...

Matz
05-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Andy, now that you're an expert with the ECUFlash, do you think it's possible to come up with an 87 octane map? I'll probably get flamed for asking, but I am curious. :)

EFIxMR
05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Haha, well let me speculate... I'll probably get flammed for this just as well...

As long as you aren't boosting you can run 87 octane, ecuflash or not. if you can't keep out of boost, I don't think 87 is doable.

Another issue would be if you ran 87 some of it would remain in the tank even during the next fill up essentially diluting your 91 octane, once you decide to put it back in.

The stock ecu is actually very good at conserving gas if you can keep out of boost 280-290... or if you are really brave 300 miles can be travel on one tank.

That is however with a full stage 4 or whatever equivalent... tbe, cams, ect... crazy how these mods actually help you save gas provided you keep out of boost.

chrisw
05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Haha, well let me speculate... I'll probably get flammed for this just as well...

As long as you aren't boosting you can run 87 octane, ecuflash or not. if you can't keep out of boost, I don't think 87 is doable.

Another issue would be if you ran 87 some of it would remain in the tank even during the next fill up essentially diluting your 91 octane, once you decide to put it back in.

The stock ecu is actually very good at conserving gas if you can keep out of boost 280-290... or if you are really brave 300 miles can be travel on one tank.

That is however with a full stage 4 or whatever equivalent... tbe, cams, ect... crazy how these mods actually help you save gas provided you keep out of boost.

even commuting from santa cruz everyday I can manage ~280 per tank. the key is you don't want to be building boost all the time. I generally drive in a gear that will keep the engine RPM over 2700. That helps to keep the turbo spooled.

the more you have to spool the turbo, the more gas you will use to build the power.

PANGES
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
is anyone else with a stock evo only getting like 160 for a full tank?

ek9_evo9
05-22-2006, 07:20 AM

bart is your friend. hahaha jk

stop boosting everywhere!

MarkSAE
05-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Cold starts and stop and go traffic really kills gas mileage. You'll be amazed at the difference between that and highway driving.

ek9_evo9
05-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Cold starts and stop and go traffic really kills gas mileage. You'll be amazed at the difference between that and highway driving.

so warming up the car would save on gas?

MarkSAE
05-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Let me clarify. Your car gets worse mileage during cold starts. So the more cold starts you have per tank, the worse miles per tank you'll get. My commute is about 100 miles per day, so if I drive my evo, I'd only get about 5 cold starts per tank.

PANGES
05-22-2006, 09:06 AM

bart is your friend. hahaha jk

stop boosting everywhere!

But i get around the same mileage even when I dont boost. I think it's because I live near alot of hills and I do about 90% city driving.

ZK
05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
But i get around the same mileage even when I dont boost. I think it's because I live near alot of hills and I do about 90% city driving.

That'll definitely do it. I usually get about 16-18 MPG in San Francisco but when I'm driving out to the south bay or out of the bay area on the highway it goes up to 20-22 MPG.

ek9_evo9
05-22-2006, 09:46 AM

That'll definitely do it. I usually get about 16-18 MPG in San Francisco but when I'm driving out to the south bay or out of the bay area on the highway it goes up to 20-22 MPG.

+1 city driving with a lot of stop and gos will definatly kill your MPG. plus the hills dont help any. i reccomend getting a beater as a DD, with my civic hatchback 1.5 lit d15, i get almost 32-35 freeway at 65 mph, and around 30 city driving. I damn near took my hatchback to central LA on 1 tank of gas :lol:

PANGES
05-22-2006, 09:50 AM
lol... that's a good idea, but the problem is.. I can't afford the insurance for 2 cars along with my car payment (I was dumb when I was 16 and have some bad things on my record). I granny drive my car and dont go past 10 vacuum and still only get 160... when I did a few road trips with my girlfriend, I got up to 230 on a tank, but that was a freeway/city combo. lol

MarkSAE
05-22-2006, 09:55 AM
+1 city driving with a lot of stop and gos will definatly kill your MPG. plus the hills dont help any. i reccomend getting a beater as a DD, with my civic hatchback 1.5 lit d15, i get almost 32-35 freeway at 65 mph, and around 30 city driving. I damn near took my hatchback to central LA on 1 tank of gas :lol:

I love my EG hatch as a beater/DD. My VX once got 402 miles on one tank!

PANGES
05-22-2006, 10:04 AM
damn that's amazing.. lol. Maybe I should try to see if the money I spend on gas outweighs my insurance and price of the car.... if it just balances it out, i wont do it, because I'd rather drive my evo... and the moeny I spend on the EG, i can use it for mods. lol. We'll see.

ek9_evo9
05-22-2006, 10:54 AM
damn that's amazing.. lol. Maybe I should try to see if the money I spend on gas outweighs my insurance and price of the car.... if it just balances it out, i wont do it, because I'd rather drive my evo... and the moeny I spend on the EG, i can use it for mods. lol. We'll see.

you can porbably find a honda crx hx for less than $3000 most of the time. dude those things are rated at 42 mpg freeway and 38 mpg hwy and its a 12 gallon tank. Plus you can use 87 and im assuming insurance will be a little cheaper. besides there's no shame in getting a geo metro too. hell if i had enough to buy another car id probably get me a geo for commuting. im moving out to modesto at the end of the month and ill be commuting to concord. :lol:

PANGES
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM

you can porbably find a honda crx hx for less than $3000 most of the time. dude those things are rated at 42 mpg freeway and 38 mpg hwy and its a 12 gallon tank. Plus you can use 87 and im assuming insurance will be a little cheaper. besides there's no shame in getting a geo metro too. hell if i had enough to buy another car id probably get me a geo for commuting. im moving out to modesto at the end of the month and ill be commuting to concord. :lol:

Does'nt it bother you to be making payments on a car you're not driving though? Would bug the hell out of me..

MarkSAE
05-22-2006, 11:26 AM
My EG saves me probably more than $800/yr on gas, insurance, tire/brake costs cuz I drive so much. I drove my EVO everyday during the first 6 months after I got it. The stress that came w/ it was a beyotch tho since I *hate* parking my car at malls and movie theaters. My gf was like "Damn, we never go anywhere anymore cuz of your car".. haha.. My EG was the best $2k mod for my evo I ever spent.

Plus, a built EG would make a pretty good budget track car. So it's nice to have that option. Tracking an evo is so freakin' expensive.

Dr. Evo
05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
I drive less then a mile to work (when it is raining, otherwise I ride my bike) and go through three long stoplights in the process. I average about 11-12 mpg!! But on the hwy I am close to 28 I think. I am heading to San Luis Obispo (home) this weekend and will keep records for this thread.

ek9_evo9
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Does'nt it bother you to be making payments on a car you're not driving though? Would bug the hell out of me..

Of course it bother's me, but what would also bother me is having to fork out $40 almost every 2 days just to get to work. Besides i let my wife use the evo since she doesnt travel all that often. with my hatchback i spend $20 a week, do the math you cant beat the savings you get for getting a beater DD. you can also think of it another way all the money you save can go to track time money and mod money for your evo.

earlyapex
05-22-2006, 01:42 PM
My EG saves me probably more than $800/yr on gas, insurance, tire/brake costs cuz I drive so much.* I drove my EVO everyday during the first 6 months after I got it.* The stress that came w/ it was a beyotch tho since I *hate* parking my car at malls and movie theaters.* My gf was like "Damn, we never go anywhere anymore cuz of your car".. haha..* My EG was the best $2k mod for my evo I ever spent.

So you Honda cost $2k to buy, how much money in gas do you spend on it in a year? How much on maintence? Insurance?

How much gas do you spend on your evo in a year? Insurance?

So at what year point in the future will you actually be saving any money from having two cars?

It usually takes about 2yrs+ to show any savings on buying a 2nd car as a daily/beater.

vtluu
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
With the money I'll be saving by running the Miata rather than the Evo at three track days this weekend, I can buy two sets of tires for the Miata. :lol:

Still, I'd rather be driving the Evo. :(

ZK
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
So you Honda cost $2k to buy, how much money in gas do you spend on it in a year? How much on maintence? Insurance?

So at what year point in the future will you actually be saving any money from having two cars?

It usually takes about 2yrs+ to show any savings on buying a 2nd car as a daily/beater.

Mark commutes nearly 100 miles a day.

PANGES
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
My EG saves me probably more than $800/yr on gas, insurance, tire/brake costs cuz I drive so much. I drove my EVO everyday during the first 6 months after I got it. The stress that came w/ it was a beyotch tho since I *hate* parking my car at malls and movie theaters. My gf was like "Damn, we never go anywhere anymore cuz of your car".. haha.. My EG was the best $2k mod for my evo I ever spent.

That's kinda what I was thinking... you kind of have to take a pretty hard hit with the extra insurance and the actual cost of the car before you can actually start saving money from the gas.

ZK
05-22-2006, 02:24 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking... you kind of have to take a pretty hard hit with the extra insurance and the actual cost of the car before you can actually start saving money from the gas.

Depending on what you get, you can SAVE money off insurance with a 2nd car. My insurance doubled after I removed my old car from the policy and went to driving the Evo full time.

earlyapex
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Depending on what you get, you can SAVE money off insurance with a 2nd car. My insurance doubled after I removed my old car from the policy and went to driving the Evo full time.

LOL, how do you SAVE money from insuring a second car? Yea, the insurance goes down on the 1st car because of muliple car discount and non-full time status but more then likely you are still paying more for insuring the second car overall.

This is the same as my argument above. Yes, you buy a $2,000 beater daily, (more cash then you where spending before you got a 2nd car) but you are also paying for insurance, (more cash then you where spending before you got a 2nd car) gas, (more cash then you where spending before you got a 2nd car), and maintence. (more cash then you where spending before you got a 2nd car)

All the way still paying for insurance and gas and maintence on the first car, unless you 100% retire it, which nobody is doing here. Add in car payments if you are still financing also.

At what point do you actually start saving money in this situation.

You aren't, you are spending more money then you where before you bought a 2nd car. No matter what MPG or miles you drive in your 2nd beater car.

turbotiger
05-22-2006, 02:57 PM
LOL, how do you SAVE money from insuring a second car? Yea, the insurance goes down on the 1st car because of muliple car discount and non-full time status but more then likely you are still paying more for insuring the second car overall.

At what point do you actually start saving money in this situation.

Depends on how much mileage you put on the beater that you don't put on the evo. The evo is more expensive to maintain, but the big killer is the depreciation of the evo. That's gotta be the biggest cost per mile for a new car.

PANGES
05-22-2006, 03:27 PM

Yeah, you have a very valid point. The problem is, that would'nt apply to me, because when I was 16, i got in a pretty big accident so no matter what car I get, even if I get liaibility insurance, I'm still paying $1100 for 6 months even WITH the multiple car discount just for the beater (when you get liability only insurance, it does'nt matter what car you have). I work for an insurance agency and I've shopped around and that's the cheapest I can find. I'm already paying $1800 for 6 months on the Evo. All and all, it's my fault for being a dumb kid. But yeah, in my situation, I dont see any way I could save money with a second car.

MarkSAE
05-22-2006, 03:50 PM
With the EVO as my only car, I would pay $1400/6 months. After I put the EG on it and listed it as my primary car, my rate dropped to $1100/6 months. So that alone saved me $600/year. Factor in gas, tires, brakes at 100+ miles/day, and it adds up fast, especially since my EG gets 40+ mpg highway and sips 87 octane. :) I admit that I got lucky w/ my EG. Good ones are hard to find.

PANGES
05-22-2006, 03:53 PM
With the EVO as my only car, I would pay $1400/6 months. After I put the EG on it and listed it as my primary car, my rate dropped to $1100/6 months. So that alone saved me $600/year. Factor in gas, tires, brakes at 100+ miles/day, and it adds up fast, especially since my EG gets 40+ mpg highway and sips 87 octane. :) I admit that I got lucky w/ my EG. Good ones are hard to find.

I see where you're coming from about that now. So you put the EG as the commute car and the Evo as the pleasure car? What company are you with? lol. That sounds alot like Farmers. If you're not, i bet you I can get you lower insurance than that if you have a clean record (6 years clean) :)

earlyapex
05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
With the EVO as my only car, I would pay $1400/6 months.* After I put the EG on it and listed it as my primary car, my rate dropped to $1100/6 months.* So that alone saved me $600/year.*

That didn't save you anything, you still have $1400 to go to break even on the cost of the car. ;)

ek9_evo9
05-23-2006, 07:49 AM
I guess we are just looking at Panges situation in the wrong prospective, my hatchback is paid off, im assuming MarkSAE is paid off as well so we only worry about insurance and gas/maint costs.

Panges since you live in the city do you work in the city as well??

Public transportation can help reduce the money you spend on gas, assuming you work far enough from home where transportation is a must.

PANGES
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I guess we are just looking at Panges situation in the wrong prospective, my hatchback is paid off, im assuming MarkSAE is paid off as well so we only worry about insurance and gas/maint costs.

Panges since you live in the city do you work in the city as well??

Public transportation can help reduce the money you spend on gas, assuming you work far enough from home where transportation is a must.

Well I live in South San Francisco and work in Millbrae and in the city. There's no part stations around where I'm at in the city. There's one near millbrae, but I've tried barting there, but it takes equally as long to drive to the south san francisco bart as it does to just drive on the freeway/el camino to millbrae. lol. Also, bart is a pain because sometimes when I'm done in Millbrae, I have to rush into the city... it's a PITA. lol.