PDA

View Full Version : SBC Yahoo DSL

EvolvedDSM
12-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Anyone else have this service and experiences significant problems? Lately, I'm lucky if I can even get a page to load. I've tried the usual power cycles and a reboot, but it's still moving slower than crap--assuming my server connection isn't dropped :evil:

vtluu
12-05-2003, 01:39 AM
I'm connected through DSLExtreme so I don't have to put up with SBC's dynamic IP and PPPoE bullsh*t. :roll: Good luck though! 8)

Nzo
12-05-2003, 02:29 AM
I have sbc as well. After a month with the line down (long story) its pretty solid but in the early morning like 1-3 it sometimes drops for 30min at a time. Very frustrating...

chris
12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
i wish i had dsl. my area line are so old they don't offer dsl for my neighborhood. if theres a high demand then they would replace something about our telephone lines. been requesting for the past 2yrs

xchoirboy
12-05-2003, 09:28 AM
if you don't already have a dsl router try getting one. i've never had problems with my connection.

JanSolo
12-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Sounds like your local dslam might be having issues. First thing I always did when I first used PacBell DSL was to check bandwidth and latency to my local router, then move up a hop or so and check again. Then I would collect the data and email PacBell tech support. With that kind of evidence at hand, they generally fixed the issue within 72 hours. Yeah, PacBell/SBC sucks.

That's why I have Comcast cable.

evo_dadi
12-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Anyone else have this service and experiences significant problems? Lately, I'm lucky if I can even get a page to load. I've tried the usual power cycles and a reboot, but it's still moving slower than crap--assuming my server connection isn't dropped :evil:

same here man,its been acting weird lately and the same with the page.

warpspeed
12-05-2003, 12:59 PM
I have SBC here in my place and so far it's been working okay for me. Just my computer loads up slow but then again, I have to much sh*t loading up.

vtluu
12-05-2003, 01:52 PM

Heh. When I first got cable modem (3 years ago) at my old apt. I went through 2-month period where the connection would be up for a few days, then down for a week, then up again for a few days... With hours spent trekking the wastelands of AT&T tech support in the process. :roll:

It turned out they gave me both the wrong IP address and the wrong hostname--thereby causing their network hardware not to renew my lease (which was why it would always go down after a few days). I had to discover this on my own as their tech people were utterly incompetent. :x After I managed to get this straightened out things worked fine for the next year and half--until I moved and got DSL.

You see, DSL wasn't an option for me at the time. Otherwise I would have dropped AT&T in a heartbeat. I hate AT&T/ComCast even more than SBC. :evil:

EvolvedDSM
12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the insight. It seems to be better at the moment, but I'm not holding my breath. I miss my cable :(

JanSolo
12-05-2003, 02:33 PM
You see, DSL wasn't an option for me at the time. Otherwise I would have dropped AT&T in a heartbeat. I hate AT&T/ComCast even more than SBC. :evil:

But they are offering 3mb down for 50$ a month! Honestly, I've only 1 day of downtime since I got Comcast Cable.

The house my wife and I are eyeing has fiber to the home. Something like symmetric 3mbs down for 60$ a month.

DB8GSR
12-05-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm using Earthlink DSL and they've been very good to me for the past 2 years. Downtime is very rare and when it does happen, it's only a matter of couple hours or so.

Not sure if you guys have heard of Astound cable. They are big here in Concord and it's all fibered! I wish they extend that thing to antioch.

btw.... Comcast can lick my balls! bleh :twisted: :roll:

Nzo
12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Back in the day when the cable was @home it ruled, 900k a sec dl, then att capped it but turned upload up to 30k a sec which was nice, but now comcast cable just plain sucks. 1gb download limit per month on newsgroups? wtf, not to mention numerous other dissapointments.

EvolvedDSM
01-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Update: SBC still sucks @ss!

I called to complain, went through the usual "Lets make sure your computer is configured properly" BS and they managed to disable my ethernet adapter and couldn't tell me how to enable it--great tech support :roll: Got that taken care of, called back and they finally acknowledged a problem with the line. Came out, "fixed" it and 24 hours later my DSL and phone lines went dead for a week :evil: Sure enough, the luck continues... The same day I'm back in service, my computer decides to take a dump--joy.

Good thing I have the EVO sitting in the garage to allow me to decompress ;)

howiEVO8
01-09-2004, 04:05 AM
i had them for my dsl service provider for a 1 year contract...and guess what? it was down for 3 months...on and off for about 3 months after that...and i complained like crazy like almost everyday and they didn't wanna give me my money back...f*ck SBC!!! uggh...covad is just as scandalous...

also for my pac bell..on my cell phone when it was pac bell still the service was great for the first 6 months when i was at UCLA...then the second half of the contract/year...it then became Cingular...and for the entire 6 remaining months...they refused to refund my money back
and there was NO service! every time i tried calling i got a System Busy...I tried checking my Vmal too and it said system busy even though
the Vmail is susposed to be on an entirely seperate system...

I was tempted to dial 911...i bet it would have said system busy...

the best thing to do is report every instance to the BBB...or call 7 on your side :)

at any rate, these f*ckers have lost my busy for good...hopefull they dont become a monopoly in the future from all the ppl they're screwed over...and then everyone would be screwd AGAIN...uggHH...

cagefreak
02-01-2004, 10:34 AM
*sitting in his computer chair laughing at all of you*

I work for SBC. And all of your are right!! They do SUCK!! LMAO