PDA

View Full Version : Turbo timers anyone?

jl2
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Anybody have any opinions on turbo timers?
I am looking at the APEX'i and the HKS.
I would appreciate any input by users, and nonusers.

Also, for APEX'i users, are you using the A/F ratio meter?
If so did you splice the wire into the stock wire, or use a separate wire loom?

Thanks.

redvolution
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Don't bother. If you drive hard and stop, chill out for a minute or so while it idles. If you give the car 1 minute of next-to-no-throttle driving before stopping then you've already cooled the turbo and you can shut it off immediately.

earlyapex
05-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Spend your money elsewhere.

EvoRicer
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I spliced the stock wires for O2 and Ground...

jl2
05-09-2006, 12:06 PM
So what is the maximum necessary time [1 minute?] needed for the engine to idle, and the turbo to cycle down after say 2 to 3 hours of very hard driving?

earlyapex
05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
So what is the maximum necessary time [1 minute?] needed for the engine to idle, and the turbo to cycle down after say 2 to 3 hours of very hard driving?

As long as you don't do keyboard racer WOT pulls through your neighborhood, up your driveway and into your garage you will be fine with if you just drive your car normal close to your house and shut it off when you arrive.

jl2
05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I am not a keyboard racer [not sure what that is though].
But I do live on one of the steepest graded streets known to man.
I have to be in first gear, and push the throttle pretty hard just to make it up.
My wife's PRIUS needs to have a strong headstart and the throttle on the floor to make it up.
Unfortunately, I also have to climb about 1 mile of hill just to get to my street.
I also drive to Reno quite often, and push the car quite hard on the drive for the mountain section.

earlyapex
05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I am not a keyboard racer [not sure what that is though].

Email Jamie@works and ask him what that means. ;)

It's not a dig on you. :)

warpspeed
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM

+1* *I hardly use mine.* I just turn it on for the volt meter display.* I have a Greddy.

Matz
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM

+1 I hardly use mine. I just turn it on for the volt meter display. I have a Greddy.

Voltmeter? Damn, I want one like that. Mine just hangs down by my ignition key now. I have a Blitz TT / boost gauge... nothing too special.

mchagsingog
05-10-2006, 03:34 AM
The only reason why I have one is because it was free :D. I have the HKS one and it has some cool features but I never use them. +1 on spending your elsewhere.

EvoKid
06-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I used to have one, took it out.

ace33joe
06-05-2006, 04:41 AM
I have a Blitz DTT with digital boost gauge, and I set it to automatic so that it can calculate idling time depending on the boost usage. It is pretty convenient, but I should admit that it only idles for the minimum I set (30seconds) most of the time. Boost peak and hold, and boost warning feature are good too.

Because I got used to the turbo timer, it feels strange when other cars shut off when you take the key out. :)

PANGES
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm looking into buying one also. Mainly for when I warm my car up in the morning, I dont have to leave a key in the ignition...

coco
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
I admit it was kind of a useless mod, but i got it at a good price. I always wanted one and the first Evo I rode in , Evo 5, had one installed.

It is also kind of cool to turn off your car with the press of a button. I set mine at 2 min, though never really wait that long since I cruise 5 mins before parking, then prematurely turn it off.

It is also a neat gadget to explain to passengers, just like the ACD. It is cool to have though at my skill level I dont really notice it.

lqdchkn
06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I have the BLITZ FATT. I use it more for the volt meter and interrior temp guage then to let my engine cool down. I set it to manual with 0 as the default run time so it is transparent when i shut the car off.