PDA

View Full Version : Helix catback installed... CEL??

PANGES
05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I picked up a Helix catback from a NCE member last week. I installed it the same day and about an hour later, my service engine light came on. Anyone know why this could've happened? I also have an exhaust leak now... I noticed that when I took the stock exhaust off, there was this little bracket between the cat and exhaust (probally for the o2 wires?). Did you guys just leave it sandwhiched in? I did and I think that may be where the leak is coming from. Also, when I unbolted that little bracket with the o2 sensor wires, i just kinda left them hanging and put my exhaust on. Could the exhaust have melted the wires and that's why I'm throwing the code?

SJCoruja
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Head to Autozone and pull the code, then you'll know what is causing it for sure. You could also try to reset the ECU as it may be tripping the code because of the addtional exhaust flow.

L8eight
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
interesting. a cel for a catback beats the hell out of me. you won't know what its from until you pull the code.

PANGES
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
yeah. As of now, i have a feeling it's because of that little bracket that bolted to the side of the stock exhaust. I think since I left it unbolted, I might have left the wires sitting on the exhaust and melted the conenction to the o2... can kragen pull codes too? How much do they charge?

dohcvtec
05-09-2006, 05:48 PM
What bracket are you talking about? On the stock exhaust the O2 just screws right into the intermediate pipe. If the O2 is not working, you'll throw a code for sure.

... just realized you have a 9, not an 8. I think the O2 on the 9's goes into the Cat now, correct? You'll need to plug the hole for the O2 in the Helix.

drunk monkey
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
What bracket are you talking about? On the stock exhaust the O2 just screws right into the intermediate pipe. If the O2 is not working, you'll throw a code for sure.

... just realized you have a 9, not an 8. I think the O2 on the 9's goes into the Cat now, correct? You'll need to plug the hole for the O2 in the Helix.

yea what he said. ix have the o2 sensor on the cat. so you either put the o2 sensor in the wrong hole.

Carlo

PANGES
05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
My friend welded the o2 bung shut. So that's not it... the one in the cat was untouched.

lncrevoviii
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
hmm interesting. I am pretty sure it shouldn't throw that CEL. Try reseting the battery, lift the car on jack and take a look under. you might just see the problem.

How much does Autozone charge to find the code? Does Pepboys do it too?

drunk monkey
05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
does the evo have a diagnostic connector to pull the cel codes? i know honda had one to pull codes and all you needed was a paperclip then the cel light will flash a number of times to reveal the code.

Carlo

dohcvtec
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
does the evo have a diagnostic connector to pull the cel codes? i know honda had one to pull codes and all you needed was a paperclip then the cel light will flash a number of times to reveal the code.

Carlo

I love that part about my Honda, makes trouble shooting really easy (and cheap!).
You need to get an OBDII scanner, you can borrow one from AutoZone and scan it in their parking lot for free.

lncrevoviii
05-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Carlo

I love that part about my Honda, makes trouble shooting really easy (and cheap!).
You need to get an OBDII scanner, you can borrow one from AutoZone and scan it in their parking lot for free.

Nice thanks.

PANGES
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
lol, i reset my ecu today and it went away untill the next time I started up my car. Then it popped up again. Should'nt it turn on right after I reset the ecu if my o2 wire is burned?

drunk monkey
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
lol, i reset my ecu today and it went away untill the next time I started up my car. Then it popped up again. Should'nt it turn on right after I reset the ecu if my o2 wire is burned?

dood get your butt to autozone and get the code decoded. asking us to decoded it is like asking a blind man to help you read.

Carlo

lncrevoviii
05-11-2006, 05:55 PM
just take it to autozone and have it looked at. Get the code and look it up or ask.

EvoRicer
05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Maybe your exhaust leak is throwing the code. I have a minor leak in My IX becuz i have a 3inch Downpipe and 3inch test pipe with stock Catback. It's not aligned right at the TP to IP pipe so theres a little leak. I get a cel sometimes but I just reset it...

MAB1025
05-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Where are you located? I've got an OBD II scanner and can pull the code(s) for you if you're in the sf area. Let me know!

PANGES
05-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Where are you located? I've got an OBD II scanner and can pull the code(s) for you if you're in the sf area. Let me know!

I live in South San Francisco. lol. I can meet you up tomorrow if you have time? Here's a dumb question... where do you plug in the scan tool?

MAB1025
05-12-2006, 12:32 AM

I live in South San Francisco. lol. I can meet you up tomorrow if you have time? Here's a dumb question... where do you plug in the scan tool?

PM Sent... You plug the scan tool in the OBD II socket under the drivers side dash. It'll take less than 5 minutes to pull and clear the code.

PANGES
05-14-2006, 02:29 AM
So.. I have a CEL for "low voltage to the o2 sensor" or something to that effect. Any thoughts?

Matz
05-14-2006, 08:43 AM
So.. I have a CEL for "low voltage to the o2 sensor" or something to that effect. Any thoughts?

Here's my guess: either you have an issue with your ECU and it's not outputting the right voltage (doubtful), or one of the wires going to the sensor is cut part of the way through.

MAB1025
05-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Code was a P0137 - 02 Sensor Circuit Low Volts ( bank 1 sensor 2 )

PANGES
05-14-2006, 11:14 AM
yeah.. I think what happened was, when I put my exhaust on, I did'nt really look to see where I put those wires for the o2 sensor and just kinda left them dangling and they probally got burned on the exhaust... What'd you guys do with that bracket that was sandwhiched between the cat and exhaust? I noticed my exhaust leak sounds bigger now too... :?

Matz
05-17-2006, 06:29 AM
yeah.. I think what happened was, when I put my exhaust on, I did'nt really look to see where I put those wires for the o2 sensor and just kinda left them dangling and they probally got burned on the exhaust... What'd you guys do with that bracket that was sandwhiched between the cat and exhaust? I noticed my exhaust leak sounds bigger now too... :?

By "bracket", I assume you mean the SS gasket? You'll want to reuse it.

PANGES
05-17-2006, 05:05 PM

By "bracket", I assume you mean the SS gasket? You'll want to reuse it.

I already re-used the gasket that was in there...but there was another thing sandwhiched in there... Is that a gasket too? So I have 2 gaskets? When my test pipe comes in, I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about.

baysic evo
06-20-2006, 08:14 PM
you can just reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative wire on
the battery, right?. a friend told me that the '06's evo and sti weren't able do that. he has an '06 sti thoght.

EvoRicer
06-20-2006, 08:33 PM
you can just reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative wire on
the battery, right?. a friend told me that the '06's evo and sti weren't able do that. he has an '06 sti thoght.

Yes you can. I have reset my ECU because I damaged my rear O2 Sensor. Same code as Panges. I disconnected the Battery then it went away. Came back later on though. Hahaha.

PANGES
06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Lol. Late as hell, but here's what happened. When me and my friend put the catback on, we somehow squished the o2 wire between the cat and the exhaust, it did'nt damage the wire, but I guess the heat caused to much resistance that it threw the code. Which made sense why when I reset the ecu in the morning, it did'nt throw the code till my car heated up. lol. I moved the wire, and VALA, all fixed. lol. Our dumb.