PDA

View Full Version : ECU+ and ECUFLash

KevOVIII
05-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Did you guys have to disconnect ECU+ in order to download the ROM from the ECU? I did the OBD-II master/slave mod as stated in ECU+'s instructions but that didn't seem to work so I had to disconnect it entirely.

Matz
05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Weird! I'll let you know, as I'm planning on doing the mod this weekend, if I can find an acceptable toggle switch to install.

earlyapex
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I get a working laptop. :(

Matz
05-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I get a working laptop. :(

It's too bad that they don't have a Linux version. Linux would run totally great on that ancient piece of history that you call your laptop. :) I'm sure Colby could do one pretty easily though, since he develops using Qt.

I'm gonna read the docs for the ECU+ now to see what needs to be changed for OBD.

KevOVIII
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Anyone try yet? :D

EFIxMR
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
im thinking about getting an ECU+ to do datalogging on the ECUflash too... whats this problem you're running into? did you need to alter the stock obd2 port or something and now it doesnt work as is for ECUflash?

vtluu
05-15-2006, 07:03 PM
No, the ECU+ takes over the OBDII function, basically if you have OBDII enabled on the ECU+ (which can read OBDII codes and freeze-frame data, clear codes, etc.) you can't use the stock OBDII port.

There's supposed to be a jumper inside the ECU+ box that you can move, and a wire on the ECU+ harness that you can disconnect, that will allow OBDII function to resume through the stock port (though the ECU+ won't support OBDII under this setting). KevOVIII, did you make sure you shut the car down, switched the ECU+ (did you use the jumper or the harness wire method?) and then powered it back up?

Matz
05-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey Tam, I'd like to get the switch wiring done before I crack open the box... can you tell me if the OBD jumper uses the standard 0.1" spacing? Thanks!

vtluu
05-17-2006, 10:04 AM
You shouldn't need to crack open the box at all; according to the manual:

There are two ways to handle these problems:
1. In the ECU+ wiring harness, locate pin 22 (black wire, group C) on the low current harness
and snip the wire in half. Then insert a quick-disconnect in this wire that will allow you to
easily disconnect this wire whenever you need to access the OBD-II functionality with an
external scan tool.
2. Inside of the ECU+ head unit, there is an internal jumper that will serve this same purpose.
Remove four screws from each end of the ECU+ head unit, and slide out the printed circuit
board. Near the high current (white) connector is a jumper, JP8. Simply remove the
shorting block from this jumper and reassemble your head unit.

earlyapex
05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Nice new sig Andy. ;)

KevOVIII
05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
im thinking about getting an ECU+ to do datalogging on the ECUflash too... whats this problem you're running into? did you need to alter the stock obd2 port or something and now it doesnt work as is for ECUflash?

I wasn't able to read the ECU with ECUflash while the ECU+ was hooked up. I did step #1 (see Tam's post) but it's possible that I mucked something up so I need to recheck that part when I get a chance.

No need to alter the stock OBD-II port... just do either step 1 or 2. :D

KevOVIII
05-17-2006, 01:56 PM
No, the ECU+ takes over the OBDII function, basically if you have OBDII enabled on the ECU+ (which can read OBDII codes and freeze-frame data, clear codes, etc.) you can't use the stock OBDII port.

There's supposed to be a jumper inside the ECU+ box that you can move, and a wire on the ECU+ harness that you can disconnect, that will allow OBDII function to resume through the stock port (though the ECU+ won't support OBDII under this setting). KevOVIII, did you make sure you shut the car down, switched the ECU+ (did you use the jumper or the harness wire method?) and then powered it back up?

I used the wire method. *Yes, the car was shut off before I disconnected the wire.

Matz
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
You shouldn't need to crack open the box at all; according to the manual:

There are two ways to handle these problems:
1. In the ECU+ wiring harness, locate pin 22 (black wire, group C) on the low current harness
and snip the wire in half. Then insert a quick-disconnect in this wire that will allow you to
easily disconnect this wire whenever you need to access the OBD-II functionality with an
external scan tool.
2. Inside of the ECU+ head unit, there is an internal jumper that will serve this same purpose.
Remove four screws from each end of the ECU+ head unit, and slide out the printed circuit
board. Near the high current (white) connector is a jumper, JP8. Simply remove the
shorting block from this jumper and reassemble your head unit.

I can read just fine, but I *want* to open the case and use the jumper. I don't want to cut the external wire.

Matz
05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey Kevin, just wanted to let you know that I did the J8 jumper mod on my ECU+ last night, and I didn't have any problems using the ECUflash to grab my stock ROM. Instead of running a wire out of the case, I just installed a switch into the case on the DB9 side. Still really easy to disable -- just drop the glove box and flip the switch.

KevOVIII
05-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)