PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel vibrates when braking.

lancerboy
05-12-2006, 09:16 PM
need some input from you guys with this one. for the past weeks, i've noticed that my steering wheel strongly vibrates *when i step (gently) on my brakes *at speeds above 65mph. the faster i go the stronger the vibration gets when i brake. sometimes even without braking i can still feel some vibration at a speed of 80 mph and above.

what you guys think?

TIA.

geoff 8)

vtluu
05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Since you mention it happens especially under braking, you may have a bit of uneven pad deposition on your brake rotors--commonly mistaken for "warped rotors". This typically goes away by itself after a couple weeks; bedding in the brakes again may help, so you might try that.

Anther possibility is an unbalanced wheel. This sometimes only manifests at higher speeds. I get a fair amount of vibration... at 130 mph. :lol: This doesn't typically manifest more under braking though.

EVO GRIM
05-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Don't forget could be alignment, but check the others first cuz theyre prob cheaper.

SpinOne05
05-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Did u recently rotate your tires or remove your wheels for some reason. If your lug nuts are not fully torqued then u can get exactly what u describe on the freeway. Double check them.

lancerboy
05-13-2006, 11:41 PM
thanks guys for the replies.

i know i have some alignment issues. outer side of my tires tend to wear off more. i'm just waiting for next month to get my new set of tires and i'll address the alignment problem.

i've also thought of my rotors being warped (as per Tam) but i think it's too soon for this to happen as my car has only 22K+ miles.

my tires was rotated last march, however, i didn't felt this that time. i do know that i increased my tire pressure 3 weeks ago from 32 (F) to 35 and 29 (R) to 32. do you guys think that the increase in tire is causing this?

anyways, i'll be going to Veracom this coming thursday for some warranty issues (tranny problem and spots on carbon wing) so i might include this and have them check it.

geoff 8)

DRFTR8
05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
thanks guys for the replies.

i've also thought of my rotors being warped (as per Tam) but i think it's too soon for this to happen as my car has only 22K+ miles.

geoff 8)

you can warp your rotors easily if you wash the car after driving it without letting the rotors to cool down.... you just need to resurface those rotors pare..

MitsuMan
05-14-2006, 01:45 AM
machine the rotors you have excess parallism warpage

not alignment
not wheel ballance

you just got the rotors real hot

EvoRicer
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I had horrible Vibration on my old Evo at speeds of 80 +. I was always swapping Rims from 17s to 18s and always messing with the ride height. I never got an Alignment once I messed with them. I decided to stick with my 17s and I sold my 18s so I decided to get realigned. After my alignment, there was no more Vibration.

ek9_evo9
05-16-2006, 07:38 AM
I had horrible Vibration on my old Evo at speeds of 80 +. I was always swapping Rims from 17s to 18s and always messing with the ride height. I never got an Alignment once I messed with them. I decided to stick with my 17s and I sold my 18s so I decided to get realigned. After my alignment, there was no more Vibration.

+1 i understand if he's getting vibration under braking but even on higher speeds, sounds like an alignment issue to me

MitsuMan
05-21-2006, 11:37 PM
i fix cars for a living* *you can believe who you want but I'm credible at least

jl2
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I had the exact same problem with my Evo.
I would get bad wheel chatter/ steering wheel vibration, but only at speeds above 65 mph.
I checked alignment, and it was fine.
Earlyapex diagnosed the issue for me.
It was the rotors. I got them resurfaced and voila problem gone.
I had taken my car to get washed after some spirited driving :lol:.
I always check my rotors with my finger before I wash them now.

SpinOne05
05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I always check my rotors with my finger before I wash them now.

Ouch!

AreSTG
05-28-2006, 05:39 PM
i have this problem too.

Since the problem started(many months ago) I have:

Gotten an alignment
New tires & balenced(alignment ruined mine)
Even had the dealer cut my rotors down

And still the problem persists, i can only think they didnt cut them enough and maybe try it again..

I'm a little interested in Vtluu's idea about the padds being bedded or deposits on the rotor(though i havent seen deposits on there when i rotate my tires). Could it just be the stock pads giving me shit, that just wouldnt make sense to me.

kinetics
03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
just bringin this issue back up :?

when I'm over 40 mph and brake gently or hard...i feel this
vibration on the steering wheel and it goes away as i reach
a slower speed. just started a month ago :( adn nothing new
to the car has been done that would affect the problem

Alignment is fine...pads are still quite meaty
rotors seem to be fine...wheels balanced perfectly
30k mi on the car

what could it be?!

TIA

stockEVO8
03-26-2008, 06:29 PM
i fix cars for a living� �you can believe who you want but I'm credible at least

wow..strong words...where do u work at

btw i think its warped rotors

kinetics
03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
^ really?!!? what could cause warped rotors? :?

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
pad deposits on the rotors. What pads are you using?

stockEVO8
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
^ really?!!? what could cause warped rotors? :?

overheated brakes...like riding the brakes when your going down hill, or spirited driving...any of those can overheat stock brakes

kinetics
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
i'm still on stock rotors...stock pads!
30k on them
and no spirited driving for me...just boring daily driving :D

tym2getbizeee
03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Don't know if this helps , but when i switched rims awhile back i didnt have the hubcentric ring and it vibrated like crazy...just my 2 cents

overdrive
03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Bro, you need to resurface the rotors and probably get an alignment....

MarkSAE
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
From my experience, resurfaced rotors generally does not fix the problem permanently. The vibration usually comes back after a while. Uneven pad deposits on the rotors create the vibration, but it can also leave hard spots on the rotors which cannot be fixed by resurfacing.

I would try re-bedding the pads first. Or check the pads for wear. What pads are you using? Certain pads are worse than others when it comes to leaving uneven pad deposits.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
i'm still on stock rotors...stock pads!
30k on them
and no spirited driving for me...just boring daily driving :D

The stock pads are notorious for leaving deposits. Try rebedding them in.

kinetics
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
^ will do sir...50 - 10 mph hard stops right?!
or should I just change pads now and bed those correctly?

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
^ will do sir...50 - 10 mph hard stops right?!
or should I just change pads now and bed those correctly?

yes find a place you can do that safely and have at it.

kinetics
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
i'll do that this weekend when I come home to my parent's house in the middle of nowhere Hanford, CA "cowtown" :D
lots of straight roads surrounded by corn fields!!! :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
i'll do that this weekend when I come home to my parent's house in the middle of nowhere Hanford, CA "cowtown" :D
lots of straight roads surrounded by corn fields!!! :lol:

Just remember to use the brakes as little as possible after the bed-in session. Don't stay on the brakes sitting at stop lights etc until you let the car sit for 45mins or so

kinetics
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
hahaha it's ok
my parent's pretty much live in a ranch...so that long stretch of road is right in front of the house
with no neighbors for about a mile or two! :lol: