PDA

View Full Version : Intakes!!!

evolvedevo9
05-13-2006, 01:50 AM
So ive been doin some research on evolutionm and just want to make sure that im getting everythign right about intakes. Ive had an rsx type-s where a CAI will net you peak 12-14 hp b/c of the restrictive stock set up. However i hear that an intake on the evo WITHOUT an ecu flash will cause power loss. however i couldn't find anything about how much power an intake will add if you do get an ecu flash. IF anyone can answer that for me that would be great. thanks!

vtluu
05-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Did you try doing a search for "intakes"?

EFIxMR
05-13-2006, 02:15 AM
i personally think the stock air box is well designed.

1StockEvo
05-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Stock aribox with good drop in filter is good up to 400hp. Maybe jus change out accordian pipe connecting to the turbo with something like the samco hose would also be a good idea along with a drop in filter.

bricel24
05-13-2006, 06:04 AM
as i've read, intakes for the evo is just mainly bling. the stock one is very well designed and engineered. although im planning to swap it out just for the heck of it. i don't think there's a HUGE loss of power, but it's always recommended to get your car fine tuned to get the best out of anything.

SpinOne05
05-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Keep the stock intake, that's the first place a cop looks if he pops your hood and will get u a date with the state ref.

L8eight
05-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Keep the stock intake, that's the first place a cop looks if he pops your hood and will get u a date with the state ref.

he is not lying!!! i got my hood popped and he looked at the intake, then saw nothing, closed the hood, and completey ignored my catch can. he just asked if all i had was a catback i said yes. Then he gave me a warning that he could ticket me for the exhaust...

evolvedevo9
05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
^ damn that sucks! it hought intakes were carb legal tho... and its not touchgin the exhaust components of the car so its ok.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! =)

also, i dont know why everyone ehre bashes/hates/loathes/ hondas =*( I mean i am from the honda side and even we hate ricers. Not everyone who owns a honda is a ricer lol.

L8eight
05-13-2006, 06:34 PM
intakes are not CARB legal. They are messing with the induction system of the car, and that has a part in passing emissions. unless you get a carb approved intake such as the K&N. but if i were have to get a CARB legal intake, i would just keep the stock one on.

SouthBayGSR
05-13-2006, 06:36 PM
^ damn that sucks! it hought intakes were carb legal tho... and its not touchgin the exhaust components of the car so its ok.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! =)

also, i dont know why everyone ehre bashes/hates/loathes/ hondas =*( I mean i am from the honda side and even we hate ricers. Not everyone who owns a honda is a ricer lol.

I think you can have all the OE numbers in the world, but all it takes is one pissed off cop to send you to the ref. The smog ref will then clear you if everything is legal, but it's still a PITA to have to go to the ref in the first place.

As far as actually answering your original question, and you will find this in other searches, but different intakes will yield completely different numbers. As far as I recall, alot of different intake systems will yield some small gain IF TUNED. Otherwise probably not. I think Dynoflash claims about 8-10 WHP difference with the HKS Super Suction whatever intake with their flash.

And as we all know, ALL hondas are rice

evolvedevo9
05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
what about the arc induction box?

SpinOne05
05-14-2006, 09:20 AM
In my experience w/cops and CARB#/legal parts, they don't care. If it looks shiny or like SouthBayGSR said they PO'd that day they will make a big deal out of it. Spend the money somewhere else where it won't easily be noticed by a cop. Resist the urge to bling the engine out man!

SouthBayGSR
05-14-2006, 05:40 PM
what about the arc induction box?

Actually I've heard some pretty good things about the arc box, but if I'm correct, doesnt that use a foam element? Foam breaks down real quick and you'll have to change it out frequently, maybe someone else can confirm this..

Oh and just kidding about the rice comment, my last car was a yellow Integra type R with a shiny exhaust, the king of rice :D I miss that thing