PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this???

o6evors
05-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi all sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using the HKS EDIS with an aftermarket BOV??? Here is the link http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2175 I was told by ASP that it stabalizes a/f and you could use a BOV that vents into the atmosphere. Any input would be great, Thanks

evo_dadi
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
waste of mod money IMO the stock one that you have is enough already not unless you really want the pssh sound and bling in the hood.even if it does "fix" the issues of venting in to the air its just a patch for the problem and youll still have issues to deal with somewhere else.

ZK
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi all sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using the HKS EDIS with an aftermarket BOV??? Here is the link http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2175 I was told by ASP that it stabalizes a/f and you could use a BOV that vents into the atmosphere. Any input would be great, Thanks

It does work. It is a common fix in the Japanese SR20DET crowd who run aftermarket BOVs. My friend ran one on his car. My car was the stock recirculating set up so I didn't need it. It fools the ECU by "correcting" the MAF sensor signal so the car doesn't die after VTA... If you have a Apexi S-AFC, it also has a decel correction feature built in already. It is rather worthless on the 05+ Evo as the stock ECU already compensates for this.

On another note, you do know that a VTA BOV is totally useless on the Evo?

As for ASP, those guys are shady and the times I've gone to them for alarm installs they have always done a very poor job that I have had to pay money to fix at another place. I would not trust them with any installs and their prices are not really competitve either.

o6evors
05-17-2006, 04:33 PM

It does work. It is a common fix in the Japanese SR20DET crowd who run aftermarket BOVs. My friend ran one on his car. My car was the stock recirculating set up so I didn't need it. It fools the ECU by "correcting" the MAF sensor signal so the car doesn't die after VTA... If you have a Apexi S-AFC, it also has a decel correction feature built in already. It is rather worthless on the 05+ Evo as the stock ECU already compensates for this.

On another note, you do know that a VTA BOV is totally useless on the Evo?

If the factory ECU compensates for this then why is everyone say you can't use a venting BOV because it jackes up the idle and a/f??? I do have a 1st gen SAFC not yet installed, and I do really like the sound of BOV venting, sorry call me a ricer. Thanks for your help though

o6evors
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
As for installs I usually do them my self, I was just going to ASP to purchase and ask a few questions until I can meet some of you guys for advice on a tuning path. I already talked to WORKS about a reflash.

PANGES
05-17-2006, 05:11 PM
if you get that, it may fix your a/f situation at idle, but on WOT top end runs, when you shift at high RPMs or even normal shifting, it wont compensate then and you still might bog. That's alot of money to spend just for some sound and to make your car run shittier.

EvoKid
05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
and I do really like the sound of BOV venting, sorry call me a ricer. Thanks for your help though

DAMN RICER

TogueMonster
05-17-2006, 07:29 PM
If you need to VTA the HKS EIDS will work.* Make sure you buy the Type K.* It'll work just fine.* Iv'e heard of some having a tendency to screw with the Turbo Timer (if you have one) and making the engine rev higher than idle before shutting off.* Before you consider VTA, get a timer if you don't already have one. Good luck.

BaseModelEvo
05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
If the factory ECU compensates for this then why is everyone say you can't use a venting BOV because it jackes up the idle and a/f??? I do have a 1st gen SAFC not yet installed, and I do really like the sound of BOV venting, sorry call me a ricer. Thanks for your help though

I believe he meant the 05 and up Evolutions already have a decel correction. They still have poor driveability with any VTA BOV.

ZK
05-17-2006, 11:30 PM
The stock ECU on the 05+ has better decel correction so it will run better if you go VTA than a 03-04 car. And yes, your car will run crappy with the BOV set like that. I don't know what you mean by 1st gen S-AFC but if it's the one with the VFD screen, not the old school one with the knobs only, it has a decel correction feature in it you can use.

If you really want the sound, get a GFB BOV or something else that has a partial recirculation so you aren't totally messing with the MAF readings and you'll be fine.

o6evors
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks all for advice!!! The SAFC i have does have the VFD but I know that they have a newer version thats what I ment by 1st gen unit. I will prob just do without the sound, or go with GFB BOV. Thanks again all :D :D :D

PANGES
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks all for advice!!! The SAFC i have does have the VFD but I know that they have a newer version thats what I ment by 1st gen unit. I will prob just do without the sound, or go with GFB BOV. Thanks again all :D :D :D

I heard the Forge bov's dont cause your car to drive so crappy even when VTA... correct me if i'm worng?

EvoRicer
05-18-2006, 09:39 PM
WAIT!* You have an 06 Which can run VTA no problem.* You don't need the HKS EIDS!* However, it works.* The idle still dips low then back up to normal idle but it never stalled on me.* I never really played with the EIDS on my 03 8.* My 9 is running patial VTA and Partial Recirc and I dont have a problem.* If I ran Full VTA I don't have a problem either.

o6evors
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I will have to try, I don't have much to lose, I kept my GReddy type s BOV when I traded in my SRT-4.