Walboro Fuel Pump
AMS intercooler
JDM MR BOV

Stock airbox with stock filter
Stock injectors
Stock ECU programmed with ECUflash
Stock 05' turbo

91 octane

Thanks to Paul at EIP for collaborating with me on my car. With his help we really learned the in's and out's of ECUflash. We were particularily impressed with the speed of the reflash and impressive list of features.

More to come in terms of the software in a few.

MarkSAE
05-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Nice! How close are you to maxing out your stock injectors w/ that setup?

Matz
05-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Holy shiet, sure looks nice to me! Wish I knew how to plug the numbers into ECUFlash. :)

earlyapex
05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Nice Andy.

What boost? Are you only using one cam or two? Are the cam gears set for more low-end?, it seems like the horsepower peaks early then drops, then stabilizes.

L84AD8
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
:cool: Nice Ancy. You been living on that dyno n doin some nice experiments. Keep it up!

EFIxMR
05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
I think the stock injectors still have some room to go. At GS I made 317 on the stock injectors on 100 octane sometime last year. I have no way to measure injector duty cycle right now. but im sure it is 90% atleast.

I'm trying a few things out since its my own car playing with the limits a bit, stretching it out in terms of peak boost . The afr's are mid's from peak tq sloping down to 11.1 at redline.

We did about 85 runs on the dyno, and earlier on today I checked my spark plugs and everything is good. Still need to do some street testing, and again some more plug checks to be sure I can leave my car in this state.

Here's a picture of my plugs (which in my opinion is the only real indicator of knock besides unmistakable audible). They show zero signs of detonation, and are extremely clean for a plug that been strictly on pump gas.

http://www.speedelement.com/images/openecu/myplugs.jpg

Inside my car i have both intake and exhaust cams. The cam timing for the M2's aren't widely tested so there might be a better setting. right now I'm running -5 intake - 3 exhaust.

drunk monkey
05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
now besides ecu+ with its datalogging and knock sensor. wouldnt the ecuflash would be enough provided if you have external datalogging?

Calro

MR JayR
05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Great job Andy!!!* *8)

wilson1
05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Nice!
That torque is pretty crazy!

EFIxMR
05-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Tommorrow (today) I'm going to GS to do some more tuning, I actually ran on their dyno yesterday but I didn't set the HP@50 parameter correctly, so I wont post the results until later on with the dyno set the right way.

I'm going to switch my panel filter to a hks drop in, and tune my afr's to be a bit safer 11.1 and see my result. Of course I will also post my baseline which is my current tune as is from EIP.

This is sort of off topic, but from my experience I think the WR and 20G turbos pick up topend-midrange power. They loose spool, but it is so much easier to crack 300 whp when you got either of these turbos. To get 300 whp and 300 wtq paul and i had to tune the shit out of the car with the stock turbo, 85 runs.

Also from my preliminary tests going back and forth between EIP and GS, there appears not to be a big difference in the two dyno's like I had thought. Why did some people dyno lower at EIP going from GS? I don't know.

It could be that the dyno load up the car differently, and that if your car is tuned on one dyno and it does good... It doesn't necessarily mean it will dyno just as good on a different dyno even if they are the same brand.

One more thing is that EIP runs a weather station on their dyno and I believe GS doesn't gotta ask Mike tomorrow and see if they do.

Right now on that subject I'm more confused than anything... I guess I can give a better answer later on.

In terms of the ECUflash, I believe for the money it simply can't be beat. However, I do believe stand alone's will still have their place and are better suited for people looking to make consistent power and really push the limits. There are many automatic correction factors built into the stock ECU and that makes tuning them a bit more tedious. Also having no cursor to tell you which portion of the map you are utilizing is definately something that needs getting used to.

I think that tuning a full stand alone like an AEM to its full potential can be done with less time than ECUflash mainly because it is real time, and you don't have to wait for the cjomputer to leave its cold start mode. But for a quick 20 whp gain tuning bolt ons... ECUflash could do it in less than an hour.

KevOVIII
05-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I like that power curve. Nice job!

earlyapex
05-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Here's a picture of my plugs (which in my opinion is the only real indicator of knock besides unmistakable audible). They show zero signs of detonation, and are extremely clean for a plug that been strictly on pump gas.

Did you do a WOT pull, shut the car down right after and then pull the plugs?

Inside my car i have both intake and exhaust cams. The cam timing for the M2's aren't widely tested so there might be a better setting. right now I'm running -5 intake - 3 exhaust.

You have them both retarded and it still does that weird drop off up top? What kinda specs are the M2's?

Tommorrow (today) I'm going to GS to do some more tuning, I actually ran on their dyno yesterday but I didn't set the HP@50 parameter correctly, so I wont post the results until later on with the dyno set the right way.

Did you notice a power difference in the readings between different HP@50 settings?

To get 300 whp and 300 wtq paul and i had to tune the shit out of the car with the stock turbo, 85 runs.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One more thing is that EIP runs a weather station on their dyno and I believe GS doesn't gotta ask Mike tomorrow and see if they do.

So EIP's are corrected numbers?

Why did some people dyno lower at EIP going from GS?
;)

earlyapex
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
So what boost where you running Andy?, I saw on EVOM you said "more than 20".

Now that drop off up top, the "bigger" torque hit and hp fatter in the mid is making more sense to me. ;)

Spill the beans!

EFIxMR
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Just got back home (no scanner) from my session at GS, feeling a bit dizzy from the C0 but not as dizzy as last time from when I had to go to the emergency room for c0 poisoning. :P

First off, I'd like to thank Mike at Gruppe-S and Paul at EIP for hosting me and allowing me to use their dynos. Their experience has been invaluable to me in learning the in's and out's of tuning EVO's.

Regarding the two dynos from my results the numbers are very close to another within 5-10 hp of each other. The difference between the dyno's is that Mike's dyno does not run the weather station, and from my understanding Paul's does. Without passing judgement on what's the right or wrong way to run it, I believe that's why we see noticable differences at times between the two.

Regarding the actual tuners, Mike and Paul are both extremely experienced and I believe you really can't go wrong with either tuner. Power output is more a factor of the actual car owner and what margin of safety they (the owner) wishes to possess. If I didn't love tuning or did this as part of my job, I wouldn't hesitate to have either Mike or Paul tune my car, as I am sure both of them could give me the power I want.

Right off the bat in third gear with the HP@50 set to 15.1 and the weight set to 3400 with the tune Paul and I developed on ECUflash I made 300 tq and 293 hp. This is at the same boost I was running at EIP same everything 2 days apart.

This is consistent with my results from yesterday with the HP@50 set to 1. It appears that this parameter has no effect on dyno readings.

The afr on this tune was a bit too lean for my preference given the amount of peak boost I run. So the real plan of the day was to clean up my tune (the graph wasn't smooth) using totally revised timing and fuel maps. Also, after my dyno comparison tests, at the advice to Paul I planned to change my stock air filter out with the new HKS hybrid air filter. Previous experience tells me that changing the air filter on a car with my state of tune would need a total remap of the fuel maps to make power. This was the agenda for today.

Tomorrow I will make a new post of my finished results, which I am extremely happy with but since I don't have a scanner I will save it for tomorrow.

For boost I am running a peak of 24 psi which tapers to 18 at redline. Before anyone gasps and screams, I am here to push the limits, my car is for R&D. I test this stuff out and determine if it's doable for you guys. My afr is now tuned perfectly flat in 4th gear to 11.0-11.1, Mike was standing by my car for many of my runs and we never heard any knock, and my car revs extremely smooth with a picture perfect tq and hp graph.

At lower boost about 20-21 peak the car made 290tq and 290hp in 4th (which reads lower peak hp). This is what I would feel comfortable giving to my customers.

As for what I consider safe for myself we will save that for tomorrow.

Thanks for reading! :D

Matz
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Thank you for sharing such good info with the NCE community, Andy! :thumbsup:

I need a tune badly.

earlyapex
05-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Just got back home (no scanner) from my session at GS, feeling a bit dizzy from the C0 but not as dizzy as last time from when I had to go to the emergency room for c0 poisoning.* :P

Haha, yea I feel like ass everytime I use the dyno there.

Regarding the two dynos from my results the numbers are very close to another within 5-10 hp of each other. Right off the bat in third gear with the HP@50 set to 15.1 and the weight set to 3400 with the tune Paul and I developed on ECUflash I made 300 tq and 293 hp. This is at the same boost I was running at EIP same everything 2 days apart.*

Now everyone can shut the F up about me having to dyno on EIP to "prove" my numbers, thank you Andy. ;)

This is consistent with my results from yesterday with the HP@50 set to 1. It appears that this parameter has no effect on dyno readings.

Great info to know. Thanks for doing that test Andy.

For boost I am running a peak of 24 psi which tapers to 18 at redline. Before anyone gasps and screams, I am here to push the limits, my car is for R&D. I test this stuff out and determine if it's doable for you guys. My afr is now tuned perfectly flat in 4th gear to 11.0-11.1, Mike was standing by my car for many of my runs and we never heard any knock, and my car revs extremely smooth with a picture perfect tq and hp graph.

At lower boost about 20-21 peak the car made 290tq and 290hp in 4th (which reads lower peak hp). This is what I would feel comfortable giving to my customers.

24psi ain't that bad if that's what you only spike to. I was spiking to 23psi when I was doing dyno tuning. Only losing 5-10whp from dropping the boost 3psi ain't bad at all, probably shows that at 24psi the turbo is blowing more hot air then anything for pump gas. I have since lowered my boost to spiking 22psi.

Cool stuff Andy, I wish I had the time to get on the dyno as much as you have!

wilson1
05-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Thank you for sharing such good info with the NCE community, Andy! :thumbsup:

I need a tune badly.

+1 :D

evo_dadi
05-19-2006, 09:45 PM
sorry bryan you still need to dyno at EIP ;)

trinydex
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
how come plugs tell detonation?

earlyapex
06-05-2006, 03:15 PM
how come plugs tell detonation?

Little bits of your piston can be seen on the ceramic area.

trinydex
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
REALLY? wow... that's a quick check too huh? so what does it look like? shiny?

EFIxMR
06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
no it looks liek speckles on the porcelain. it looks kinda like an eggshell type of surface. a good clean plug is smooth with very little discoloration, slightly brown. should not be ashy, should not be black. heavy detonation, the ground strap will be missing.

earlyapex
06-05-2006, 06:08 PM
heavy detonation, the ground strap will be missing.

And then you would have bigger problems then reading your plugs. ;)