PDA

View Full Version : HKS hybrid drop in results

EFIxMR
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
http://www.speedelement.com/images/efi/airfiltertest.jpg

This is a test of the Hybrid HKS air filter vs a stock one with 35000 miles.

Personally, I was shocked and I think its a decent gain for very little money and hassle free install.

earlyapex
05-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Your curves look a bit better on the gruppe-s dyno then the EIP dyno.

Very interesting.

Was this with no tuning changes? Did the AFRs change? 3.8whp sounds like it could almost be a variance from pull to pull. What kinda variance where you getting between pulls with the stock filter?

EFIxMR
05-20-2006, 01:18 AM
The afr i knew would go leaner with the drop in, so I put fuel in the appropriate places based upon experience. On the first pull with the hybrid filter the afr was 11.1 already, which was identical afr with the stock filter. Why my graphs are smoother at GS is because I'm running a totally different timing map and fuel map from before.

I don't think the difference is run to run variance, my car makes pretty consistent power on the GS dyno.

I think the filter works, which is also indicative of my final results + 5 tq + 5 hp with the same boost, safer afr, safer timing.

BigEd925
05-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Interesing, maybe a dyno pull between your 35000 miles AF, HKS, and a new OEM air filter would of been a better comparison.

PANGES
05-21-2006, 11:13 PM
does the car stay just as quiet as the stock filter with the hks filter?

SilverStreak
05-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Panges-from what I've heard...there is a "noise increase"

At least from other users posts regarding various filters, they claim they can hear both the turbo and diverter valve more than the stock filter.

PANGES
05-21-2006, 11:51 PM
kinda what I thought. I want to keep my car as quiet as possible. Probally just going to keep my stocker then. Most likely going to be selling my Helix catback for an apexi noir soon too. lol.

SilverStreak
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't let the noise issue prevent you from changing the filter. Its probably the easiest thing to do get some more hp. I've seen some great results from almost stock to stock cars.

One IX owner is claiming a 9whp/torque gain using (I think) the Works filter.

It's definitely not going to be anything noticeable or attention getting like some loud intake or exhaust. I mean it is just a filter. To most when you drive by under boost, they won't drop what they are doing and say "hey, that's loud-must be a replacement filter".

Dr. Evo
05-22-2006, 07:28 AM
It isn't noisier. You can *hear* the turbo better, but you really have to be listening for it. It is just a drop in filter, not an intake-replacement.