PDA

View Full Version : I am a big failure... NO LONGER!

Matz
06-04-2006, 10:05 AM
CRAP! I finally had time to work on installing my Walbro FP. I got all the tools ready to go, and started on it about 30 minutes ago. Well, it was a total bitch to get that retaining ring off, but I got it done. I then moved on to one of the simpler steps, which was to pull the FP assembly out of the tank. For the life of me, I just couldn't get the damn thing out! The float was in the way, and I didn't want to damage it. I started rotating the assembly, thinking I could get a better angle, but couldn't. So I said, "forget it", since I didn't want to get stranded at work and then have to explain the situation to the "boss". :) Then I couldn't get the damn thing back in! Eventually, I was able to gently free it up and get the car back together. What a PITA. Don't know when I'll feel like trying again.

missred
06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
You got it done though, wanna help me with mine :lol:

Matz
06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
You got it done though, wanna help me with mine :lol:

No, I didn't... I have to try again some other time! I gave up because I didn't want to break off the float, so I had to put everything back together. :( I can help out with everything except getting the assembly out. :lol:

lqdchkn
06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
That sux man. I heard this was a tricky but have not yet attempted it. Thanks for the heads-up on how difficult it really can be, I'll make sure I have plenty of time when i do it.

BaseModelEvo
06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah it's a bitch. The ring is the most difficult part, once that's off the rest should be breeze. I do them in just under an hour if you want some help, bro. Stop by anytime, I can do it on the spot. I've done 11 or 12 so I'm pretty good at it. Let me know if I can help you!

earlyapex
06-04-2006, 03:19 PM
weird, the ring is the hardest part. You should be able to just angle the pump and float assembly and it will come right out. Was the float and filter stuck on something?

EFIxMR
06-04-2006, 04:23 PM
yea the first time is rough. In terms of getting the ring off, its almost as if it jsut comes off by itself by playing around with it. I'll take it out, and wonder damn how'd I do that. LOL.

earlyapex
06-04-2006, 04:27 PM
yea the first time is rough. In terms of getting the ring off, its almost as if it jsut comes off by itself by playing around with it. I'll take it out, and wonder damn how'd I do that. LOL.

Hahha yea, Every car seems different too. No rhyme or reason. The fuel pump rubix cube.

Matz
06-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah guys, I don't get it. I didn't have a problem figuring out the ring part. I just couldn't get the assembly out because the float would not make it through the opening. Drove me damn near crazy. I'll try it again in the garage next time (shade is a plus) since I'm not worried about blowing myself up anymore. But I think I'm gonna order a new FP assembly, just in case something goes wrong. :)

I recommend keeping paper towels, gloves, and something for your knees handy. A bit of fuel does spill out when disconnecting the main line and return connections. The suction hose takes a little work to get off, but it's not too bad. And don't forget a fire extinguisher... :)

Thanks for the offer to help, BaseModelEvo! We'll see what happens next time. If I can't get it the second time around, I'll get professional help. :)

smack
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
word of advice...
don't try cam install :lol: j/k

Matz
06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
word of advice...
don't try cam install :lol: j/k

I think I have a better chance of doing the cam install than the FP install. This thing was killing me. The rollbar sure as hell didn't help, either.

EFIxMR
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
im sure the fumes dont help either

BaseModelEvo
06-04-2006, 11:50 PM

That's my favorite part. Time goes by faster. lol.

No worries, bro! Best of luck! Next time I do one I'll take some pics for you and post it, hopefully I beat you to the punch so I can be of help.

vtluu
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
I've done it three times. Once installing the high-pressure Walbro in my car, once installing the low-pressure Walbro in my car, and once installing the HP Walbro for the guy who bought it from me. It's a bit of geometry puzzle but if you take your time and avoid inhaling too many gasoline fumes, you'll get it. :lol:

Once you get the new (or old) pump in, make absolutely sure the fuel lines "click" in properly so they can't pop loose and spray fuel all over the place. Ask me how I know. :oops:

BTW you know to unplug the fuel pump electrical connector and then start the car to depressurize the fuel line, right?

Helpful instructions here: http://tinyurl.com/ewhuh (heh funny tiny URL)

BaseModelEvo
06-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Once you get the new (or old) pump in, make absolutely sure the fuel lines "click" in properly so they can't pop loose and spray fuel all over the place. Ask me how I know. :oops:

Ain't that the truth!

BTW you know to unplug the fuel pump electrical connector and then start the car to depressurize the fuel line, right?

Good heads up, nice info!

Matz
06-05-2006, 05:25 AM
I've done it three times. Once installing the high-pressure Walbro in my car, once installing the low-pressure Walbro in my car, and once installing the HP Walbro for the guy who bought it from me. It's a bit of geometry puzzle but if you take your time and avoid inhaling too many gasoline fumes, you'll get it. :lol:

hehehe :lol: thanks, I know about the click connectors. But the only reason why I knew was because they were so dang hard to get off. I was worried about busting those plastic nipples off when doing this "install".

Sure seems like I should have been able to pull out the assembly, but I honestly angled that stupid assembly every way possible, but could never get the float to clear. Oh well. Maybe I'll pull out the rollbar and try again... but I think doing it in the shade next time would make my life a lot easier... oh, and having a pad underneath my knees so I'm not on the asphalt. :lol:

Matz
06-05-2006, 05:27 AM

That's my favorite part. Time goes by faster. lol.

No worries, bro! Best of luck! Next time I do one I'll take some pics for you and post it, hopefully I beat you to the punch so I can be of help.

Thanks, but don't worry about pics... I know exactly how to do the installation from the set of pics on evomoto.com (http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=13&tech_id=9&osCsid=26a8ccc79e74a6f5c91f2551eeeeaf02)... they have really good pictures already available.

vtluu
06-05-2006, 08:16 AM
I think what helps is not just angling the assembly, but lifting it up a bit (off the studs) and rotating it a fair bit and then angling it. I don't remember if I removed the metal ring first, then the assembly, or both at the same time. I think I've done both.

warpspeed
06-05-2006, 08:34 AM
I guess you were too confident in yourself to work on your car at work. :?* I would never work on my car at my place at work.* Good thing you got the old one back. :)

BaseModelEvo
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
No kidding. My buddy did his. Forgot to insert the rubber spacer. Fuel pump dropped and the car would run to like 3k and cut out. He wouldn't let me help for THREE DAYS he tried to figure it out. I came over with the spacer he'd dropped on my shop floor.

MORAL: Be like MATZ, don't be STUBBORN!

edit: did i mention it was hilarious?

AreSTG
06-07-2006, 04:48 AM
yea its suck a simple mod, that takes no knowledge of cars at all, yet its hard sometimes. Anyway i had to go thru the whoel process 3 times, once helping a friend do his car.

The float is a PITA, but b4 you put it back in take a look at the little sensor part where the float meets the pump. The metal part that slides and gives the fuel guage its reading can be bent out and cause the gas guage not to work, i thought i broke it but its just a little piece of metal.

somethign to look out for, it wasnt fun taking the assembly out and back in twice for one pump :(

Matz
06-07-2006, 04:54 AM
yea its suck a simple mod, that takes no knowledge of cars at all, yet its hard sometimes. Anyway i had to go thru the whoel process 3 times, once helping a friend do his car.

The float is a PITA, but b4 you put it back in take a look at the little sensor part where the float meets the pump. The metal part that slides and gives the fuel guage its reading can be bent out and cause the gas guage not to work, i thought i broke it but its just a little piece of metal.

somethign to look out for, it wasnt fun taking the assembly out and back in twice for one pump :(

Yeah I hear ya. I saw the potentiometer-like device, and immediately had my guard up. It's such a flimsy piece of metal that it probably breaks / bends easily.

I've been gassing up a little whenever I need to, hoping that I'll have my tank right on empty for the weekend so I can try it again at home. :lol:

Matz
07-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Finally got the FP installed today. I got to the same point as the last time, where I couldn't get the float out of the opening. Well, I decided to just use a little more force, and finally got the assembly out. Everything after that was a piece of cake, though I should have ordered a new fuel filter (mine was looking kinda gross). The trickiest part of the entire installation IMO is getting the ring back in... taking it out was simple. I found that the easiest way to do it is to drop the assembly in, in the correct orientation, and then slide the retaining ring down by the return hose first. Then tilt the assembly up so you can get the ring around the suction hose fitting. The rest is easy... phew. Took it out to get some gas, and it ran fine. Next -- 720s!

Now I understand why the people call it the Whinebro... it's pretty loud.

KareBearPowa
07-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Congrats!

It's not so loud with the seat cushions in. With them out it's pretty bad.

Consider yourself lucky however, they where much louder on DSMs.

Matz
07-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Congrats!

It's not so loud with the seat cushions in. With them out it's pretty bad.

Consider yourself lucky however, they where much louder on DSMs.

Thanks... hope everything else this week starts going more smoothly. The injectors shouldn't be hard to install, and I have plenty of spare o-rings. :) Got the PLX finally reconnected to the ECU+ so tonight or tomorrow morning I'll do some pulls on the 85. I'll PM you when I have logs to show you!

XVeloX
07-05-2006, 01:03 AM

hah ya that was me. And if the lines dont click in the fuel will indeed spray EVERYWHERE...

glad you finally got it in there though, oh and the whine goes away or at least goes down after a while, but for the first few weeks i couldn't believe how loud it was either...

EVO GRIM
07-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Dave the injectors are a bitch too. Dont do them on your lunch break. Dedicate a few hours for your first time. I found that if you tighten the rail a little on each side and wiggle the injectors inbetween it makes it easier.

Matz
07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Dave the injectors are a bitch too. Dont do them on your lunch break. Dedicate a few hours for your first time. I found that if you tighten the rail a little on each side and wiggle the injectors inbetween it makes it easier.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I looked for instructions on evom and figured that it was a little tougher than I had first imagined. We'll see what happens. Did you drive it on the 720s before tuning, and without doing any injector scaling? I'm wondering how my car is gonna run if I don't "pre-tune" it for 720s.

KareBearPowa
07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
My record for fuel injector install start to finish is 42 minutes.

Be sure you have extra o-rings, each injector has 2 and also the larger black donut thing that goes into the intake manifold. Replace them all, espically the black larger ones as over time they get stiff from getting hot from being so close to the head. Tam found a big intake leak there yesterday because of that.

Lube the o-rings a little that go into the fuel rail! It sucks to tear one of those. You don't know its torn until you have everything back together, start the car and fuel goes everywhere.

When you are disconnecting the electrical connections to each injector, they are held on by litte metal U clips. Be VERY careful taking these off. They will FLY off, never be seen again if you don't have a hold on them. Also be very careful not to break the plastic part of the injector connector that they clip onto. I have found a jewelers flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers to be very effective for those.

Also make sure you have an extra o-ring for the fuel rail connector on the right side. Just to be safe, replace it, and again, lube the o-ring a tiny bit before putting it back on.

Overall it's a pretty easy job just in a semi-tight space. Taking off the STB I imagine would make it much easier but I never have.

ek9_evo9
07-05-2006, 09:39 AM

Ok, thanks for the tip. I looked for instructions on evom and figured that it was a little tougher than I had first imagined. We'll see what happens. Did you drive it on the 720s before tuning, and without doing any injector scaling? I'm wondering how my car is gonna run if I don't "pre-tune" it for 720s.

would like you to keep us updated on your tuning :)

Matz
07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the tips, Bryan! I won't be trying to beat your record anytime soon. :) I just want a leak-free installation. I bought spares for all of the injector-related o-rings on mitsubishiparts.net, so hopefully I have all of the bases covered. I will try to do the installation soon, though I'm not sure what I should do other than set the injector scaling w/ ECUflash to 90% of the flow rate. I'm not sure how to handle the injector battery compensation values yet. I'll probably just drive around and watch the knock output with the ECU+.

I'll keep everyone up-to-date in another thread. But I'm 99.9% sure that it'll be full of "WTF?" posts, rather than Bryan's informative posts. I will probably name it something like Engine Grenading 101. :lol: :shock:

EVO GRIM
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I have found a jewelers flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers to be very effective for those.

+1 I have some extra retainer clips if you loose one.

I'm using the 680's and the car drives fine off boost. Seams to idle better than the stockers. Cant explain that. To be tuned at FF tonight!

Matz
07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I have found a jewelers flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers to be very effective for those.

+1 I have some extra retainer clips if you loose one.

I'm using the 680's and the car drives fine off boost. Seams to idle better than the stockers. Cant explain that. To be tuned at FF tonight!

FF as in Full Function? Damn, of all the days for me to be on vacation... Would have loved to swing by.

AreSTG
07-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Finally got the FP installed today.
Now I understand why the people call it the Whinebro... it's pretty loud.

CONGRATZ!

on a side note, up in tahoe last week i ran my car lower on gas than i ever had b4(left one of the towns low on gas and there wasnt more gas for a longgggg time) But anyway, If u think that fp is loud on a normal day wait till its sucking air, OMG. hopefully i didnt hurt it much, its fine since i got gas.

Matz
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I have noticed that the stocker is more quiet when submerged in fuel, which makes sense. I have heard the whinebro on empty, and it sure is loud... but once I get my rear seats back in, I think it'll be a lot more tolerable.

AreSTG
07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I have noticed that the stocker is more quiet when submerged in fuel, which makes sense. I have heard the whinebro on empty, and it sure is loud... but once I get my rear seats back in, I think it'll be a lot more tolerable.

on empty, evyone wa slooking at me, i mean everyone it was loud outside more than inside