PDA

View Full Version : My car made a complete electrical circuit

DJMic0
06-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Yesterday i remeoved my subwoofer from my car. I was in a rush to leave town and didn't bother to put any electrical tape on the speaker wire. When I finish doing what I had to do, I opened my trunk and my car speakers started to sound like there was static, when I closed the trunk the sound was gone. So I though "ok that was weird" and I open my trunk again and there it was again, so I looked into my trunk and found out that my speaker wire both positive and negative were touching the metal of my car. I guess my car made a complete electrical circuit. I went to turn off the car and then I removed the speaker wires immediatly and then I went back to turn on my car again. I turned on my deck and all I hear is snap and crackles. To me it sound like my speakers are gone? Is this true? I checked all fuses and they were fine. I couldn't find my radio fuse though, it wasn't event plugged in my fuse box since i had my car. Well the main story is, is my speakers broken or something else? As far as I know, the sound system is gone, what other things should i check? I check all the fuses in my car and lighting (turn signal, headlight, break light, emergency light ect.)? I'm really worried about the condition of my car so any help or advice will be truely be appreciated.

Mike

EVO GRIM
06-09-2006, 07:43 AM
So the wires were coming from the head unit or amplifier? Something is blown. check for internal fuses.

DJMic0
06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
the wires were from the amplifier which were connect to other speakers, head unit and the battery. I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and also the fuse box on the passenger side.

Thanks for replying fast.

Mike

nebolic
06-09-2006, 02:22 PM
maybe you fried your head unit?

nebo

EVO GRIM
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
If it wont work anymore you fried the amp. Maybe an internal fuse?

BaseModelEvo
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
AMP is toast, deck could be toast, anything else on the circuit could be cooked.

EvoRicer
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Fuse Box on passenger side?* We have one?* There is also a fuse box on the driver's side.* If you want to check if your head unit or speakers are blown...maybe try hooking it up to another car?* If you want I can meet up and swap it to my ride to check if it works...hit me up with a pm...ill be available Tomorrow around 2pm or so and anytime on Sunday...or if you want to swing by my work place in Downtown later...

vtluu
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
There are two fuse/relay boxes, one in the engine compartment, one on the driver's side (under the dash left of the steering column/etc.).

According to the circuit diagrams, the two fuses in the circuit to the factory head unit (and any head unit adapted to the stock factory harness) are 10A fuses #22 and #23 in the underdash fuse box. #23 is on the far left side of the box; I couldn't figure out from the service manual where #22 is, it's on the circuit that goes direct from the battery to the head unit, bypassing the ignition switch; that circuit should be used by the head unit only for powering memory for settings, radio stations, etc.

If you have an external amp it all depends how it's wired up, i.e. from where it draws its power. There should be a fuse (or more) between the amp and the battery (and there may be one internal to the amp). Check those.

DJMic0
06-10-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks for the advice tam. Evo ricer I'll Call you tomorrow. That is only if you still have the same number from the time i met you at the FIA meet. Oh the fuse box on the passenger side was a typo, i really meant driver side

Mike