PDA

View Full Version : weird noises?

gaughtboost
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I have been having trouble with my evo for a while now. I was racing a 350z, and I redlined it in 4th gear, wasn't really a bad redline but when it hit the car made a popping noise. lumpy idle, white smoke, etc. had four lifters replaced, seemed to correct the idle car was now drivable. the other day I was driving and it just started to randomly misfire, so I pulled over and pulled out plug #4 and saw that the gap had been closed, looked like something was hitting the plug. I tried fishing around with a magnet but I couldn't find anything. tehn I heard a loud clanking up top around cylinder 3 or 4 but it was intermittent. so I added more oil. re gapped the pulg and drove off, after about 15 minutes of driving i floored the throttle and no boost, but there is a weird ass noise i'm getting. it doesnt sound like a boost leak, more almost like a supercharger whine but more high pitched. any help would be appreciated.

mtsevovii
06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
PWNED :?

gaughtboost
06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
PWNED :?

wtf?

BaseModelEvo
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
the 06 Evo 9 head has a FAR more shallow plug than the 05 and below Evos. The MIVEC head has been redsigned and new plugs are much shorter (dont ask how I know). Make sure the proper year plugs have been installed. It's quite possible when they fixed the problem they stuck the wrong plugs in there.

earlyapex
06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Redlining the car shouldn't break anything. I do it daily for the last 30,000 miles. The rev limiter is there for a reason.

You sure you didn't mis-shift and mechanically over-rev the motor?

The spark plug hitting the piston should have been sign #1 to stop driving the car and figure out what was going on.

EvoRicer
06-09-2006, 04:53 PM
the 06 Evo 9 head has a FAR more shallow plug than the 05 and below Evos. The MIVEC head has been redsigned and new plugs are much shorter (dont ask how I know). Make sure the proper year plugs have been installed. It's quite possible when they fixed the problem they stuck the wrong plugs in there.

I thought the IX's have longer Spark plugs...that's what I read on EvoM...I haven't pulled my plugs yet though...

BaseModelEvo
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I thought the IX's have longer Spark plugs...that's what I read on EvoM...I haven't pulled my plugs yet though...

No you're right. I wrote it backwards. Thanks. I meant if he didn't have a 9, and bought 9 plugs, they would be too long.

MitsuMan
06-09-2006, 06:47 PM
I'd have to see this one to diagnose it. pretty wierd. theroetically every time you over rev or high rev(redline) you wear out the top crank bearings and the rod bearings. when you lug the engine (accelerate in real low rpm) you prematurely wear the opposite bearings. but you would have some decent noise if your engine had a bad bottom end. a whining noise can be something rotational like belt related it can also be a bad BOV or some other air leak. no boost well that is something you can only really check on the car it could be a number of things

good luck with your demons

gaughtboost
06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, Ididnt shift into fourth, i was already in fourth, redlined it it only baounced back once before making some loud ass pop. but after all that I had my car worked on. and it seemed fine besides some valve noise. but the other day i was driving under little load, then when i decided to get on it I heard this loud ass noise. It sounds like when someone gets really excited and yells WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOO! as the load increases the sound gets louder.

gaughtboost
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Eclipse
06-11-2006, 04:28 PM
So is it a whine or a loud air noise? Wwhhoooo! sounds like a boost leak to me. Have you checked all your hose connections?

gaughtboost
06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
WEll I think im gonna try one of those old dsm boost leak detectors tricks. I'll see if that gets me anywhere. Thanks!

gaughtboost
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
any advice from anyone? still havent figured out the problem.

KareBearPowa
07-05-2006, 12:08 PM
any advice from anyone? still havent figured out the problem.

Since it's a loud whistle under load its probably a boost leak.

Check the pipe coming off the turbo comrpressor housing. Those are known to whistle loud when the gasket/seal is blown out. Also check everything coming off of and into the BOV.

gaughtboost
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I'll try! hopefully that's what it is.

gaughtboost
07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
would it still boost though?

gaughtboost
07-05-2006, 05:08 PM
anyone?

gaughtboost
07-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I need help! does anyone have a solution?

KareBearPowa
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
would it still boost though?

Yes it would still boost. The turbo would have to just work harder to make the same amount of boost

airforce1
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
why dont you take it in service and find the real culprit instead of asking everyone? Noises are so vague to diagnose.

peter
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
check it under warranty

gaughtboost
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
no warranty left! too many mods!

MitsuMan
07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I think you have a leaking BOV. I'd buy a JDM mr one just because and maybe that's the fix. or swap with somebody just to see if that the prob. when mine was leaking it sounded simular to what your descibing. good luck chuck

gaughtboost
07-09-2006, 12:11 PM
i think my bearings on my turbo went out! if that was the case what would the turbo sound like? it's not the blow off valve, and it's not any hoses or piping. but the noise is coming from the turbo or right under it.