PDA

View Full Version : JDM MR headlight foglight patch cable

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Anyone made their own patch cable for the JDM MR headlights?

does the current USDM headlight harness have a female H11 plug?

and therefore would have to go to a femal 9006 plug for the JDM MR?

in my old car, I made a patch cable like this before, I'd rather do this than splice into the wiring.

Macky
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Anyone made their own patch cable for the JDM MR headlights?

does the current USDM headlight harness have a female H11 plug?

and therefore would have to go to a femal 9006 plug for the JDM MR?

in my old car, I made a patch cable like this before, I'd rather do this than splice into the wiring.

1. yes. ultraflip (in socalevo) did a fine custom wiring for my JDM MR headlights
2. I believe the socket on USDM cars is female, and the bulb base is male.
3. yes you will need a female 9006 plug to get a 9006 bulb to work.

What ultraflip did was create a custom male/female conversion. If I ever decide to return my stock headlights and H11 fogs, all I do is unplug the 9006 female connector, plug in the H11 female connector, and install back the OEM headlight.

The custom patch he did was basically splicing the existing H11 wiring. But instead of splicing and taping stuff up, he bought a male/female splicing kit so I can easily interchange the 9006/H11 female plugs at any time. So instead of only one male female plug (between the male and female H11 or 9006 bulbs) there is a second pair of male/female connectors for the stock wiring.

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
thats just as ghetto.

i'd ratherj ust buy an H11 bulb, bust the bulb part off of it, attach wires to the lead. then get a 9006 socket, and attach the 2 together.

Macky
06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
thats just as ghetto.

i'd ratherj ust buy an H11 bulb, bust the bulb part off of it, attach wires to the lead. then get a 9006 socket, and attach the 2 together.

whats ghetto about it? it was a clean install and gives me the ability to put everything back to stock if i needed to. your idea sounds like a fire hazard.

GokuSSJ4
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
thats just as ghetto.

whats ghetto about it? it was a clean install and gives me the ability to put everything back to stock if i needed to. your idea sounds like a fire hazard.
LOL

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
did you cut a stock wire? ya...
thats ghetto.

L84AD8
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Hmm... I haven't heard of anyone with JDM MR heads that didn't splice any wiring. :?

ultraflip
06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
thats just as ghetto.

IBCarGoesBoom

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
for my grandprix, I just bought the socket that i needed and took a bulb and busted off the actual bulb part so there were just 2 leads.

take 2 spade connectors with wires on the end, attach them to the leads that normally would go into the bulb part and connect their wires to the socket. just plug the new type of bulb in the female socket and the now castrated male bulb into the stock headlight wiring and everything is done.

however, you should be able to buy both the male and female ends of a socket type. so what I'll just buy is a male end of an H11 and a female 9006. run wires between them and its done.

www.suvlights.com is where I got the stuff before, but their site seems to be down. who knows they could be out of business considering I did this like 3 years ago.

ultraflip
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
really though... would you rather hack out n bust the bulb part off of a 700 headlight housing... or would you take the time to properly attach a $3 connector plug to stock wiring?? to each his own i guess..

i'm from long beach and i still think bustin a 700 headlight housing is wayyyy more "ghetto"

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
ya, so obvs you don't understand what i'm talking about.

i'm not breaking the HID bulb
i'm breaking an off the shelf H11 bulb.

so anyways.

anyone ever built a patch between the stock H11 female and the new 9006 male socket (of the bulb in the housing) instead of splicing a butt connector into the stock wiring harness?

ZK
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
If you have the whole OEM HID assembly with the ballasts, all you need is the "9006 plug and play connectors" from HID expert, you don't need to splice anything on your car. and just splice the plug and play harness into the two wires going into the HID ballast and plug the end into the 9006 plug on your car.

http://www.hidexpert.com/producthtml/all_products.html#

If you don't have the OEM ballasts then that's another thing.. the 9006 harness might still be useful to you though.

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
exactly. so you take those, and put a busted H11 on the other end. so it plugs right into the hole it'd normall go into.

i was not aware that the h11 plugs into the ballast. usually foglights and highbeams are just another lead off the wiring harness. I only expected the low beams to plug into the ballast.

ZK
06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
exactly. so you take those, and put a busted H11 on the other end. so it plugs right into the hole it'd normall go into.

i was not aware that the h11 plugs into the ballast. usually foglights and highbeams are just another lead off the wiring harness. I only expected the low beams to plug into the ballast.

This is to wire in the low beams... So all you'd need to do is stick in the high beams. The fog lights you'd have to wire seperately.

Like they do in this thread:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161984&page=1

Is that what you're looking to do?

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
wait wait wait.....

the USDM and JDM use the same headlight bulbs as far as I understand, I am talking about the foglights.

here is the quote from Z1 performance....
"yes the fog lights are different for US vs JDM cars. The JDM cars use a 9006, the US uses an H11"

I am talking about converting the foglights from the USDM h11 bulb type to the JDM 9006 type.

I am NOT talking about the headlights which should stay the same for both.

ZK
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
wait wait wait.....

the USDM and JDM use the same headlight bulbs as far as I understand, I am talking about the foglights.

here is the quote from Z1 performance....
"yes the fog lights are different for US vs JDM cars. The JDM cars use a 9006, the US uses an H11"

I am talking about converting the foglights from the USDM h11 bulb type to the JDM 9006 type.

I am NOT talking about the headlights which should stay the same for both.

Ok... that would not be the info you need then.

b0yw0nder
06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
so anyways guys, I found a better solution than the ghettoness you are currently doing.

suvlights.com has h11 male connectors and 9006 female connectors
for 25bucks each, they will make a custom harness to bridge those 2 things together

or you can just buy the parts for like 5dollars/8dollars each (without wire/with wire lead)
and make them yourself with a butt connector and some solder.

they are currently out of h11's so I'm just gonna wait to get that.

mattssilverevo
06-20-2006, 08:49 PM
here:

http://www.intakeone.com/Light_bulbs/NokyaCombo.html

b0yw0nder
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
hey guys, can anyone confirm this for me?

based on these photos of the h11 (http://www.eatools.com/~luke/gpthunder7500k/gpthunder7500k-bulb-h11.jpg) and the 9006 (http://www.globalpremier.com/gpthunder8500k/9006.jpg)

It looks as though I would need a patch cable with H11 female to integrate with the exisiting wiring to 9006 male that can integrate with the new bulb. can you please confirm this?

b0yw0nder
01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
no one knows?

UCB
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
If the JDM lights have 9006s as the fogs then yes, you need a 9006 (male) to H11(female) patch harness so you can mate with the H11 harness on your US car

AreSTG
01-25-2007, 12:22 AM
i'm not trying to be rude at all when i ask this.

Why all the trouble for diferent headlights? what's so good about them?

evo637
01-25-2007, 12:32 AM
i'm not trying to be rude at all when i ask this.

Why all the trouble for diferent headlights? what's so good about them?

Nothing they just look great..

b0yw0nder
08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
after searching high and low, I finally found the solution...now there is no reason to splice into your stock harness with the 9006 female connector that usually comes with MR headlights nor is it necessary to do any kind of "creative" wiring to avoid splicing into your stock harness.....

it comes from xenondepot.com > products > xenon/HID components > OEM HID Components > Headlight Wiring Harness Fitments: H1 H3 H4 H7 H11 9004 9005 9006 9007 (http://xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=50)

http://xenondepot.com/images/product/WIREHAR_lrg.gif

For 40 dollars + shipping, choose the H11 option and you will get a wiring harness that connects your H11 stock harness (H11 female) to your new MR 9006 foglights (9006 male).

I found this solution by chance from a similar type of situation that someone was trying to remedy on an Acura MDX forum.

The reason this works is because the HID kits that xenondepot sells has a 9006 connector on their ballast. So if you buy their HID kit as like I did, you simply connect to the HID ballast and from the ballast to the 9006 HID bulb you get with their kit and you have double the HID! If you don't have the extra HID, its a simple plug and play operation to bridge your stock harness to the 9006s once you've connected the power and ground.

If you don't want the added protection of a fuse + relay and you don't want to deal with the power and ground, you can just use the H11 male connector and 9006 female connector to make your own custom headlight harness by cutting them out and soldering their wires together (make sure to have the correct polarity, but i'm not sure it matters).....

Now, you're thinking to yourself, why go through all that trouble of making a custom harness from one that you already bought? Can't I just buy the parts to make my own? WELL...apparently the H11 male connector does not exist in north america (Except in this harness from xenondepot..and no they don't sell the connectors on their own because they buy the harnesses already built)

Suvlights.com (where I got components to build my last harness) only has the H11 female and says they have never and will never be able to get the H11 male (which simulates the bulb end connector). Same goes for sasquehenna motorsports (rally lighting site). I actually bought another headlight harness that was cheaper than the xenondepot (like 16.99) from yada international because they said they had an h11 male connector but it came to my door with 2 spades that you push into the stock harness and cover it with electrical tape...sure it could work, but dangerous as hell when you think about water and crap getting in there. Got screwed on that one...

The xenondepot harness isn't perfect as you will see in my "instructions" below, but as long as you pinch the pins together a bit so they fit good into the slots of the stock harness connector, you will get a good connection when you push them together and can secure the connection with a zip tie. The key is to make sure you don't have any of the orange seal showing and that will mean you have a good connection. This is the only connection that I had trouble with when installing my MR headlights + HIDs but would have been very easy to narrow down if I had a multimeter...stupid me.

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10804/MR9006-STOCKH11.JPG

esco
08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Hmm... I haven't heard of anyone with JDM MR heads that didn't splice any wiring. :?

me. cause I didnt hookup my fog lights yet.