PDA

View Full Version : WORKS High Performance High Flow Drop In Air Filter Review *whew*

SilverStreak
06-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Alrighty....placed the order back in April...it arrives in June. Now many of you might think this is a bad thing...considering I could go to Pep Boys and order myself a K&N. However, WORKS customer service is top notch, normally I'd be pissed out of mind and find another replacement-afterall it was just a filter. Yet, they stayed in communication with me the entire, and were VERY VERY pleasant. I have never had a better time just waiting for a package to be delivered.

Anyways-so the box arrives...well packaged, everything is in order. Open it up and there's the pretty blue panel wrapped tight in a plastic bag. The filter feels oily...but isn't over-oiled...not under oiled as well...just perfect.

Pop the clips off the airbox and drop it in...doesn't fit. Hmm...let's try this way...fits better...maybe it's upside down...hmm. So anyways...after a few more seconds of "automotive geometric tetris" I get it to fit snuggly. Pop the top back on and put the clips on. For the record...the one sitting closest to the piping and battery is an absolute
b!tch to get on.

WORKS says the filter is indeed just drop in and go. So I don't reset the ecu and give it a go. I let it warm up in the garage and right off...there is a big difference. The idle is smoother. Before, the sounds would echo off the garage walls and create a sort of droning noise. Not anymore...it's more...bearable I guess...so yah...in a word-it's smoother.

I back it up...and in reverse...the butt dyno registers some noticeable gain. More than any intake I ever bolted up to a 4cyl NA Honda/Acura...and that's in reverse. I smile knowing what's coming in the "real gears".

Hit first and go...now when I "pussy foot" the car in any gear...it sort of sputters until hits the sweeter spots on the powerband...not anymore. Everything is smooth as ice. Rev, shift, gas, and go...no hick ups...no lurches, nothing. The car is SO much more driveable.

Now it's hot out...probably a good 80+ degrees...though it feels like 120 after coming back from the coast. Now I heard from a review that if you let it out in first gear with NO gas...the car won't stall. I had to try this. I let the clutch out...the car dies. Now no sudden lurch and harshness. It just shuts down. Ok...no biggie. I start it up again, and this time let it out slowly. Car is still running. My g/f laughs and comments that if she drives like that...she could learn manual easily.

So anyways...time to test out the high end. I do a quick run up...spool the turbo and the car just pulls. At this point I'm used to the power...so I feel noticeable gain. But the car is LOUD. I hear the turbo spool and DV working with my windows rolled drown and the wind in my ears. My g/f says the same thing...which means its very noticeable to someone who didn't have an ear for it from the start. Nothing like a loud exhaust...but there is some audible differences.

Overall...great first/only mod until the warranty is up. Makes the car a lot more "streetable". I will post up later results with gas mileage improvements. I refilled after the install.

Much thanks to WORKS!

leif
06-17-2006, 02:55 PM
i would hope it does all that and more for 130 bux.

SilverStreak
06-17-2006, 03:16 PM
yah...I would hope so too for $130.00

But then again...I guess being a forum member has its benefits...considering I bought this thing for a whopping $99.00

BaseModelEvo
06-17-2006, 04:35 PM
yah...I would hope so too for $130.00

But then again...I guess being a forum member has its benefits...considering I bought this thing for a whopping $99.00

How clogged was your old filter? Paper filters are known to flow over 400hp on the Evolutions...

and wouldn't it be the Pecker Dyno in reverse...? hahahaha

SilverStreak
06-17-2006, 04:58 PM
paper filter wasn't that clogged up. some random bugs and what not. But the car is still relatively new.

The main thing being was this filter supposedly has more surface area compared to others.

In addition-since this car is going to stay relatively stock...to the point where even bolt-ons are not being considered...this really is the only mod I can do.

But there is a night and difference in terms overall driveability and smoothness in this hot weather and that was the big factor for me. The supposed hp gain is nice...but the fact that car drives so much smoother is a big one. Hopefully, gas mileage will improve also. But I haven't driven much with it yet.

BaseModelEvo
06-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Reflash...look stock, make an addtionial 70hp! Plus your fuel economy will get better. As far as drop in filters providing better economy it's an age old debate....

Realistically... more air = more fuel to match.

So you should get worse economy making more power. Especially on a MAF Sensor system. The only time I can see economy improving is on a speed density system. They are less accurate so the car could flow the air more smoothly and maybe improve economy?

KareBearPowa
06-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Pop the top back on and put the clips on. For the record...the one sitting closest to the piping and battery is an absolute b!tch to get on.

The secret to those metal airbox clips is to push them in the middle. They pop right on. ;)

BaseModelEvo
06-17-2006, 09:23 PM
The secret to those metal airbox clips is to push them in the middle. They pop right on. ;)

Lol... +1 Evasive little bastards.

Matz
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Man, I think I got mine for $65 when they first released them. Too bad Marshall has it now. :lol:

lqdchkn
06-17-2006, 10:57 PM
The dealer just had to replace my K&N for $85 including tax and there are better deals on the internet.

evo_dadi
06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
i just grabbed another new oem filter for $14.95 ;)

SilverStreak
06-17-2006, 11:53 PM
basemodelevo-
yah...i considered the flash. But at this point...it's too "invasive" for me. Since I may be doing mods in the future when the warranty/payments are coming to an end...I will save the flash for the end.

as far as the gas mileage-I said...hopefully some improvement. Other users have claimed a "small improvement"...so we will see how it turns out. It may turn out to be nothing.

earlyapex-
yah..i know about those clips...but i couldn't fit my hand on that last one...it just wouldn't go on. I ended up using some pliers to help get it back on.

re: oem/k&n-
Again...I needed something to satisfy that mod bug for the time being without getting too crazy. This did the trick. I'm sure otherwise the oem would work just fine.

During my wait...I did consider the K&N...but with the mixed reviews and issues concerning the MAF sensor, I held off.

2hot2handle
06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
the easiest way to put that clip back on (nearest TB side) is to take off the snorkel first, put the lid on.......now you have more room to push.....then put snorkel on last. Cake!

SilverStreak
06-18-2006, 01:22 AM
the easiest way to put that clip back on (nearest TB side) is to take off the snorkel first, put the lid on.......now you have more room to push.....then put snorkel on last. Cake!

I actually considered that. That would have been my next step. But first, I grabbed a set of pliers...pulled up the clip slightly and just popped it back on with my free hand. Even easier.

warpspeed
06-18-2006, 01:48 AM
paper filter wasn't that clogged up. some random bugs and what not. But the car is still relatively new.

Even though your car is fairly new, the air filter can sometimes be clogged up and since you changed the filter, the car runs better.* Also, I don't know if anyone notice about the Works Time Attack Car has an K&N Filter banner/filter on the car.* So what did they actually use on the car, K&N or their own Works filter? :?

byt
06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Also, I don't know if anyone notice about the Works Time Attack Car has an K&N Filter banner/filter on the car. So what did they actually use on the car, K&N or their own Works filter? :?

Maybe there were some incentives ($$$) associated with running the K&N? Just a guess..

RenoEvoIX
06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I just installed mine as well. I noticed very minimal improvements, $100 seems a little steep for what you get but no biggie.

Scythe
06-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Got mine yesterday along with a re-oiling kit. First time at works, got to meet with jamie and oliver, both of them really nice. After leaving Works i installed it right in the parking lot because i just couldnt wait to use it :p. Anyways, things i noticed: better idle, more responsive, louder turbo, less sputter in stop and go. Definately worth it in my opinion hoping i see a mpg difference since i seem to be stuck at 19 every tank ive used

KareBearPowa
06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Maybe there were some incentives ($$$) associated with running the K&N?* Just a guess..

Well they are featured in a K&N ad that is running in the magazines right now so... yea.