PDA

View Full Version : Solid lifters

Navid@xperformance
06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Has anybody tried solid lifters on 4G63 engines? If so, what kind of results did you have? What cams? How high could you rev the engine? Thanks!

--Navid

lqdchkn
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Haven't tried them but you'll be adjusting you valvetrain all the time like on those old VW's if you do it. Since you track I'm not sure if that matters to you though.

Navid@xperformance
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Haven't tried them but you'll be adjusting you valvetrain all the time like on those old VW's if you do it. Since you track I'm not sure if that matters to you though.
That's not a concern if they help me get 500 more revs out of the engine. BLE offers a set. I can't believe nobody on this list has tried them.

--Navid

crctslt
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
There was a fair amount of discussion on this on the NABR forums awhile back. www.teamnabr.com . Wasn't found to be all that helpful if I recall the scuttlebutt correctly. Never looked into it myself. If you do search around on the DSM boards look in the time range from '99-'02. The DSM HLA's are good to around 11,000 rpm (I believe the Evo ones are the same). You looking to go past that? :shock:

Navid@xperformance
06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Hell no, 9K is good enough for me.

MarkSAE
06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I think you should try asking John Sheperd about them. I think I read a thread where someone mentioned he tried them before.

Navid@xperformance
06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm not looking to fix a problem that does not exist. If the stock HLA's are good enough to rev to 11,000, I don't need to change them.

--Navid

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 10:18 PM

:shock: And you think you have oiling problems now...

crctslt
06-19-2006, 11:16 PM

Do tell about the oiling problems. Just curious

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Do tell about the oiling problems. Just curious

He killed his rod bearing months back at thunderhill and is now using an accusump.

I would be really weary of the oil pump keeping up with 9,000 rpm on the track but that's just me.

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda's do it no problem. :)

Navid@xperformance
06-20-2006, 11:39 AM

That was my concern too. *That's why I was looking into solid lifters. *But if people have run these engines with hydrolic lifters at 11,000 rpm, does that not prove that the oil pump can handle that many revs? *

KareBearPowa
06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
That was my concern too. *That's why I was looking into solid lifters. *But if people have run these engines with hydrolic lifters at 11,000 rpm, does that not prove that the oil pump can handle that many revs? *

Yea, in a straight line, not all leaned over at the track pulling crazy G's.

Navid@xperformance
06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
That was my concern too. That's why I was looking into solid lifters. But if people have run these engines with hydrolic lifters at 11,000 rpm, does that not prove that the oil pump can handle that many revs?

Yea, in a straight line, not all leaned over at the track pulling crazy G's.
Good point! This is no different than the rod bearing problem.

Jim Kidd
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Yo Navid,

Forget the lifters and get the Cosworth cylinder head, that is if the stock lifters can give more revs

Jim

Navid@xperformance
06-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Yo Navid,

Forget the lifters and get the Cosworth cylinder head, that is if the stock lifters can give more revs

Jim
Jimbo my good buddy, are you buying me one? :)

Jim Kidd
06-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Yo Navid,

Jim
Jimbo my good buddy, are you buying me one? :)

LOL, anything for you buddy old pal.* Let's see the check's in the mail, you'll get it tomorrow, just waitin' on the wire transfer, AAHHH Nope no way good luck.* First I'd have to get mine.* By the way what do you think of the B&B exhaust.* Not all of us can do a full wrap on out car and put 385's on the street and still have a job. :-)

Navid@xperformance
06-21-2006, 12:55 PM
LOL, anything for you buddy old pal. Let's see the check's in the mail, you'll get it tomorrow, just waitin' on the wire transfer, AAHHH Nope no way good luck. First I'd have to get mine. By the way what do you think of the B&B exhaust. Not all of us can do a full wrap on out car and put 385's on the street and still have a job. :-)
That IS my job dude! :)

B&B as in Billy Boat? I haven't heard anything about their Evo exhaust but in general, I think 3" piping is a bit much. Unless of course you are giving up road racing and getting into drag racing. :)

--Navid

Jim Kidd
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
That IS my job dude! :)

B&B as in Billy Boat? I haven't heard anything about their Evo exhaust but in general, I think 3" piping is a bit much. Unless of course you are giving up road racing and getting into drag racing. :)

--Navid

Drag racing never! I like my tranny intact.

crctslt
06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Why do you think 3" is a bit much? Is this from the point of the power level you want/need/have is served well by a smaller exhaust?

Navid@xperformance
06-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Why do you think 3" is a bit much? Is this from the point of the power level you want/need/have is served well by a smaller exhaust?
It's not a problem if you are going after peak power numbers, but you need some back pressure to not loose your low-end power. Having low-end grunt serves me a lot more than having a couple of more horses at the top-end.

KareBearPowa
06-26-2006, 12:33 PM
It's not a problem if you are going after peak power numbers, but you need some back pressure to not loose your low-end power.* Having low-end grunt serves me a lot more than having a couple of more horses at the top-end.

Best of both worlds, 2.75" DP to 3" catback. ;) I'm no engineer but I heard that farther downstream is when you want the larger tubing anyway since the exhaust air cools off more by then and becomes more dense.

Navid@xperformance
06-26-2006, 05:07 PM
It's not a problem if you are going after peak power numbers, but you need some back pressure to not loose your low-end power. Having low-end grunt serves me a lot more than having a couple of more horses at the top-end.

Best of both worlds, 2.75" DP to 3" catback. ;) I'm no engineer but I heard that farther downstream is when you want the larger tubing anyway since the exhaust air cools off more by then and becomes more dense.
Wouldn't the opposite be true since denser air requires less room? I'm looking at my Hayward and Scott turboback and it seems like it's wider on the downpipe (2.9") than downstream (2.6" around the test pipe.)

--Navid

KareBearPowa
06-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Wouldn't the opposite be true since denser air requires less room?* I'm looking at my Hayward and Scott turboback and it seems like it's wider on the downpipe (2.9") than downstream (2.6" around the test pipe.)

But slower air right? Like I said, I am no engineer so I could be wrong. ;)

Navid@xperformance
06-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't the opposite be true since denser air requires less room? I'm looking at my Hayward and Scott turboback and it seems like it's wider on the downpipe (2.9") than downstream (2.6" around the test pipe.)

But slower air right? Like I said, I am no engineer so I could be wrong. ;)
That may be true. I just don't have enough data to verify or reject this theory.

crctslt
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Doesn't a hotter gas flow better than a cooler one though?

StockEVO
06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Phuck those douchbags Alabama hicks! NABR can eat me with soy sauce! Sorry rant off...

Anyways...solid lifters huh? How often do you like to pop the valve cover off to adjust the lash on them? Every oil change? Say every 3k miles? No one really messed with them because I have yet to find one competent individual who can adjust the lash correctly without making all this ratchety clack sound under the valve cover.

I'll go back to my hole now.

There was a fair amount of discussion on this on the NABR forums awhile back. www.teamnabr.com . Wasn't found to be all that helpful if I recall the scuttlebutt correctly. Never looked into it myself. If you do search around on the DSM boards look in the time range from '99-'02. The DSM HLA's are good to around 11,000 rpm (I believe the Evo ones are the same). You looking to go past that? :shock:

crctslt
06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I used to adjust them on my '59 bug does that count? :P

StockEVO
06-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I didn't know 59' bug had a forum to gripe when something went wrong, maybe I should dig alittle more.

"Hello everyone, I recently did a valve adjustment on my 59' bug and now it's throwing a P0300 code. Can anyone here help me? TIA."

dohcvtec
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
haha, honda vtec heads have to have the lifters adjusted. I do it maybe once a year if that. The noise isn't too annoying. :P

Navid@xperformance
09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread to share some first hand information that maybe usefull to the rest of you.* When I started this thread I was looking for this kind of info.

Solid lifters do not work for this engine unless you are running a stand-alone engine management.* The noise caused by the solid lifters is picked up by the knock sensor and diagnosed as ignition knock.* The stock ECU then retards timing severly causing a great deal of power loss (~100HP).

--Navid