PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Tranny Mounts

monchan8
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Hello,

Has anyone had their engine mounts upgraded?

What was the cost for install and was it worth the
performance increase, given the availablilty of other
performance parts/installs?

wzcx
06-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I haven't gotten any, yet- but one of the first things I felt drving the Evo was the shifter movement when transitioning from acceleration to braking. There's much more movement than in my bmw. I have also heard quite a few reports of folks having improved shifting feel, particularly at high rpm, with upgraded mounts. But as for "performance": they won't make your car faster.
What's your goal?
Also keep in mind that you'll get increased in-cabin vibration and steering wheel vibration with stiffer mounts: they absorb less energy, and thus more is transmitted to you and to the frame of the car. Is this what you want? Maybe so, it'll make the car feel more like a race car when it's a little rougher, but I'd only do it if I were having shifting problems or using the car 50% or more at the track.

monchan8
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I was thinking that I would be able to acheive
quicker acceleration. In certain situations, when
shifting hard from say first to second, I would think
that I would be able to get that built up clutch/flywheel
enertia to transmit more directly to the wheels
instead of towards shifting the engine around underneath
the hood.

Even when simply hitting the acceleration
hard when locked in a gear, wouldn't more
power be transmitted faster to the wheels?
If every time I accelerate hard, and the engine
has to do its inital pop up bullshit first, I am
imagining that I am loosing out on some
power for this brief 1/4 to 1/2 second period.
On white knuckle runs through Calaveras, or
Mt. Hamilton, I would say that I do 200+ hard
upshifts. Whatever the figure, I would say that
eliminating this would result in a significant
time savings. -I am afraid of getting caught by an
STI on one of these runs-

...Given that this upgrade is relatively cheap and
reportedly promotes the efficency of the car, as opposted
to a mod that makes more heat/uses more gas, I am very
interested in getting it.

Of course, this is all based on my understanding of
what they do. I have yet to come accross any evo
owners who have anything to say about them.

wzcx
06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
I think that there's a limit to the gains you'll get- but motor mounts sound like they might be worthwhile because if you miss 1 shift out of 100 (hopefully you won't!) that's 2 per drive, and you'll be quicker in the long run without f'ing up your gearbox. I didn't intend to sound negative in my first post- but I don't think you'll see any power gains.

SpinOne05
06-20-2006, 10:06 PM
I got the AMS front motor mount. I am happy with it, even though there is quite a bit more vibration. I didn't buy it for performance increase and there is none.

Matz
06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
I have the PowerFlex mount (actually Tam still has it), but I can't use it because the metal sleeve it comes with was the wrong size. I didn't get a reply from Forge or PowerFlex regarding this problem. So pretty crappy customer service IMO. Maybe I'll try the AMS or Ralliart ones... but I could also machine a new sleeve, which I've been holding off on doing. Anyone here think that a machined sleeve from stainless round stock would wear any worse than whatever sleeve comes with the motor mount?

SpinOne05
06-21-2006, 07:23 AM
The sleeve is mainly just to provide support for the bolt and to make contact between bolt and mount. If u make a sleeve that proprly fits the bolt and mount, when tightened, the bolt should squeeze the sleeve and bracket together and there shouldn't be any movement/wear. IMO.

Matz
06-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I kind of figured as much, but since I really have no experience with understanding the way the mounts are loaded, I couldn't say for sure. I guess I may as well just try and see what happens...

MarkSAE
06-21-2006, 10:07 AM
How much was that sleeve oversized? From all the polyurethane bushings I've installed, the sleeves are usually slightly oversized by design. So when pressed into the bushing center, the sleeve compresses the bushing material a bit, which should increase its' stiffness.

ZK
06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
The Evo has the worst shifter feel than the Nissan and Honda I've owned before. It feels very vague when shifting at high rpm. It is notchy and rough at any speed. On the other hand, the 6 speed MR shifter is very smooth.

Matz
06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
How much was that sleeve oversized? From all the polyurethane bushings I've installed, the sleeves are usually slightly oversized by design. So when pressed into the bushing center, the sleeve compresses the bushing material a bit, which should increase its' stiffness.

It was undersized, unfortunately.

KareBearPowa
06-21-2006, 01:15 PM
F forge. I gave my Forge mount to Tam because he didn't get his in time and he needed it more then me.

They are still on backorder 4 months later

I'm just going to buy one from some other vendor.

MarkSAE
06-21-2006, 01:31 PM
That sucks that the sleeve was undersized. I may go for the ralliart mounts if I ever decide to change mine.

I think Forge forgot about the order I placed for that mount back in November. I should probably call to cancel it.

KareBearPowa
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I think Forge forgot about the order I placed for that mount back in November.* I should probably call to cancel it.

Their USA office blows. Remember I had to remind them about 3x that I ordered mine until I finally got it sent out way back when.

EvoRicer
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I have the Agency Power Front mount. Works like the Forge but no press needed. Just swap mounts.

KevOVIII
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
The front mount was worth swapping. Didn't notice much of a difference with cam side on.

Swapped out the tranny side yesterday since I had the car apart anyway, so I can't comment on that one yet.

Not going to do the rear mount until it's time to change the clutch.

Since I swapped the mounts myself, installation cost is 0. :D

superman37r1
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I just received my Power flex front and side mounts...Lancershop says they are backordered on their website but they are in stock and just have not updated their website...I ordered monday and got it yesterday...I am going to put them in tonight but the wife wants me to go shopping :( Bed bath and beyond who knows lol...