PDA

View Full Version : Track Car Suggestions

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey Guys,

In an attempt to keep my evo somewhat stock (plan on tbe & flash), I'm looking into buying a cheap < 7k car which would only by used for track. I have been looking at different kinds of cars (Miatas, civic, 240, e30 bimmer, etc). This would be mainly used for HPDE and possibly autocross. I a newbie when it comes to this stuff and would like some advice from experienced track guys.

Does a car usually have to be registered and smog to be a track car? What are your suggestions on the car I buy, I would prefer a rear wheel drive car but FF would be considered. I would like to buy in stock form and do most of the mods and weight reduction myself.

thanks!

ed

dohcvtec
06-19-2006, 10:07 AM
You know my vote, Honda civic. Parts are a dime a dozen and CHEAP! 99% of the parts can be swaped from 92-00 civics, and 94-01 integras. Sure its FF and people think its a disadvantage, but the cost savings is huge. If you want to go slow but still have fun, get a miata, they're probably a little cheaper than a Honda to run. And no, your car does not need to be street legal nor registered, if you're towing it in. It does need to pass a basic safety technical inspection though. I've done just over 5 years of HPDE in 2 different Hondas. These are great cars to learn on as I reiterate, CHEAP!!! :) If you have any Honda specific questions, feel free to ask.

MarkSAE
06-19-2006, 10:11 AM
If you want to be able to drive to/from the track, your car would need to be able to pass smog like any normal car.

Since I'm somwhat of a power junkie, I'd want a car that is at least somewhat fun on the straights. *So my plan is to swap a B18C in my EG one day. *A civic hatch w/ a swap seems to give a lot better hp/weight ratio compared to miatas and can still pass smog.

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 10:22 AM
You know my vote, Honda civic. Parts are a dime a dozen and CHEAP! 99% of the parts can be swaped from 92-00 civics, and 94-01 integras. Sure its FF and people think its a disadvantage, but the cost savings is huge. If you want to go slow but still have fun, get a miata, they're probably a little cheaper than a Honda to run. And no, your car does not need to be street legal nor registered, if you're towing it in. It does need to pass a basic safety technical inspection though. I've done just over 5 years of HPDE in 2 different Hondas. These are great cars to learn on as I reiterate, CHEAP!!! :) If you have any Honda specific questions, feel free to ask.

Hondas are a front runner in my choice for the reasons you listed: easy to learn on, and cheap. The car would probably be towed to the track, just because I dont want to deal with the "pop your hood" stuff. thanks for your advice.

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
If you want to be able to drive to/from the track, your car would need to be able to pass smog like any normal car.

Since I'm somwhat of a power junkie, I'd want a car that is at least somewhat fun on the straights. So my plan is to swap a B18C in my EG one day. A civic hatch w/ a swap seems to give a lot better hp/weight ratio compared to miatas and can still pass smog.

a civic hatch with a swap would be awesome, but for starters I would like to just do some bolts on, suspension, weight reduction and then be out on the track. The civics that are already swapped out look to be abused.

ZK
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
My friend was building a "budget" 89 240SX track car but right now it is turning into a $30K+ monster and a work in progress for the past 3 years... It should hit the road sometime this year. It really makes Evos look like they're not moving when it accelerates. :lol:

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 10:29 AM
ouch 30K! Im lookin to spend 5-7k on the car and just make it fun to drive, not a power beast. But im sure having a 240 that can make evos seem slow would be a lot of fun. hehe

dohcvtec
06-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Since I'm somwhat of a power junkie, I'd want a car that is at least somewhat fun on the straights. So my plan is to swap a B18C in my EG one day. A civic hatch w/ a swap seems to give a lot better hp/weight ratio compared to miatas and can still pass smog.

a civic hatch with a swap would be awesome, but for starters I would like to just do some bolts on, suspension, weight reduction and then be out on the track. The civics that are already swapped out look to be abused.

This is a good idea. Start with a nearly stock car to drive in. As you get faster, you'll figure out which pieces to replace for better performance. For starters all you need is good brake pads and good fluid. And no one will pop your hood at the track, its not a public road. :)

GokuSSJ4
06-19-2006, 01:53 PM
eg hatch with a K20 swap, nuff said LOL...

drunk monkey
06-19-2006, 02:48 PM
try to find a stock integra type r. at least you have the power and the suspension to last you for awhile.

Carlo

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Good choices, anyone have an experience with e30 bimmers, eg 325i or 318is??

silvery_eagle
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
wouldnt' want to touch beemers...
Miatas are the first on my list though... handles great :)

turbotiger
06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Spec Miata's and RX-7's are cheap to race in the spec competition series. Rules limits the amount of modification that can be done, which limits the $$$ you can throw into building the car.

MarkSAE
06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
^ don't forget Honda Challenge. The H4 cars are pretty limited in mods.

chrisw
06-19-2006, 10:03 PM
For under 6k you could easily build up a decent mustang or camaro.* You can find the car cheap enough, then go up to maier racing http://www.maierracing.com/index.html and this guy will hook you up....* He is also local to the bay area.

Keep in mind, old school american iron is fairly reliable, and the parts are dirt cheap compared to the evo.

Darwinator
06-19-2006, 10:08 PM
try to find a stock integra type r. at least you have the power and the suspension to last you for awhile.

Carlo

Only if you have a garage!

I vote for the Miata

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 10:55 PM
I used to think about getting a miata as a track car but I just don't think I could deal with no power. Lots of miatas at thunderhill today in various levels of mods, turbo, supercharged, NA, etc. I passed them all like they where parked ordering ice cream.

Hondas at least put up a fight.

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
^ hmmm well looks like honda is still on top of the list, with miata comming in next. Or I can just wait 4 more years till I pay off the evo and use it. hehe

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 11:02 PM
^ hmmm well looks like honda is still on top of the list, with miata comming in next. Or I can just wait 4 more years till I pay off the evo and use it. hehe

I think a civic or a integra would be a fun little track car. Like Mike said, cheap and lots of parts avail. I kinda have a sweet spot for FF hatches too.

My student today had a RSX-S and it was a fun little car. Some decent power when the vtec kicks in. The only thing I thought was a little weird, and this might just be RSX-S specific but when the vtec kicked in, it was an abrupt enough change that it could upset the chassis sometimes. I thought that was kinda weird.

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 11:02 PM
MR2 also interests me as well, but its hard to find them stock. Almost all the hondas and mr2 are RICED out on craigslist.

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 11:04 PM
MR2 would also be a major PITA to work on. Hope you have a strong back.

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 11:06 PM
See what i mean... on craigslist...* :lol:

http://a.im.craigslist.org/sD/di/IU1TG6nqXdxu6vPckawXo6YL4HeU.jpg

BigEd925
06-19-2006, 11:07 PM
MR2 would also be a major PITA to work on. Hope you have a strong back.

I figured that, well I guess its back to honda I go. I had a 4 door LS integra before the evo. (non-vtec)

KareBearPowa
06-19-2006, 11:10 PM
I figured that, well I guess its back to honda I go. I had a 4 door LS integra before the evo. (non-vtec)

Well talk to Mike (dohcvtec) about hondas, he is the guru when it comes to them and the track. He is quick in his Girly Mo'bile del sol. ;)

MarkSAE
06-20-2006, 07:54 AM
MR2 also interests me as well, but its hard to find them stock. Almost all the hondas and mr2 are RICED out on craigslist.

haha.. yep, you definitely need to look HARD and FIGHT to get a clean honda off CL.* Those listings seem to be pretty rare compared to most of the crap that's posted.* I would say there's about one good clean stock car posted for every 10-15 riced out or modded one.* It took me a month and half to find my bone stock EG VX hatch.* I asked my seller how many emails he got after he posted his ad up and he said like 20 within 2 hours.

Also, you need to have cash ready to buy on hand. Waiting overnight or over the weekend for a bank to open can cost you the car!

ek9_evo9
06-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Well talk to Mike (dohcvtec) about hondas, he is the guru when it comes to them and the track. He is quick in his Girly Mo'bile del sol. ;)

found a sleeper b16a1 delsol in modesto.....*drum roll* $3500, saw it in auto trader probably already sold for that price.

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 08:38 AM

found a sleeper b16a1 delsol in modesto.....*drum roll* $3500, saw it in auto trader probably already sold for that price.

Thats about what I paid for my B16 Del Sol, they are quite rare (if its a real del sol vtec, might have been a swap, since stock its a b16a3).

And Bryan, this girlie car might be passing you in turn 2 next time we're out.* ;)

ek9_evo9
06-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Thats about what I paid for my B16 Del Sol, they are quite rare (if its a real del sol vtec, might have been a swap, since stock its a b16a3).

And Bryan, this girlie car might be passing you in turn 2 next time we're out. ;)

thats what i meant i didnt get to read the description i thought it was a pretty cool deal.

MarkSAE
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Dang, $3500 for a B16A powered del sol is a steal. That car should be loads of fun at the track in stock form!

DB8GSR
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
but when the vtec kicked in, it was an abrupt enough change that it could upset the chassis sometimes. I thought that was kinda weird.

that's why you always want to stay on top of the VTEC crossover rev range when on the track. And we all know torque is what lacks in the H car.

H cars will make you work hard at the track due to constant shifting and rev matching. Definitely an A+ in my book when brushing those skillsets and it's a ton of fun when you get it right. First time I tracked the Evo, I was constantly shifting at the track since I'm used to doing it on my old GSR turbo. Boy, did the Evo made my life easier. LoL.

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 10:22 AM
but when the vtec kicked in, it was an abrupt enough change that it could upset the chassis sometimes. I thought that was kinda weird.

that's why you always want to stay on top of the VTEC crossover rev range when on the track. And we all know torque is what lacks in the H car.

Yes, I don't think I go below 6,000 rpm anywhere on the track in the Honda.

MarkSAE
06-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Can't you using a vtec controller to lower the changeover rpm?

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Can't you using a vtec controller to lower the changeover rpm?

That can cause more power loss.

What you want to do for tuning vtec, is this.

1st run, tune on just the low cam profile, like setting vtec xover at 7k rpm.
2nd run, tune on just the high cam profile, like setting vtec xover at 3k rpm.

compare the graphs, see where the torque curves cross, and that should be your vtec xover.

KareBearPowa
06-20-2006, 10:51 AM
And Bryan, this girlie car might be passing you in turn 2 next time we're out.* ;)

Bring it, I'll hang some flowers off my spoiler so you can chase them.

ZK
06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I had a lot of fun in my 00 Civic Si. The big thing that makes a big difference is the LSD which my car lacked. After I drove my friend's Integra with a Quaiffe installed I was sold.

I had fun chasing around a R32 Skyline GT-R at Thunderhill but that thing would pull bus lengths on me on the straights and he was carrying more speed in the corners while he was 4 wheel powersliding around turns. :lol:

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I had a lot of fun in my 00 Civic Si. The big thing that makes a big difference is the LSD which my car lacked. After I drove my friend's Integra with a Quaiffe installed I was sold.

Its even better with an ATS clutch type LSD, you can lift a wheel and still have traction. ;)

ZK
06-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Its even better with an ATS clutch type LSD, you can lift a wheel and still have traction. ;)

The 240SX my other friend is building has the 1.5 ATS Deftforce drift-spec locking LSD and that thing is crazy. It makes loud crunching and clunking sounds driving around town and locks both wheels without fail every time you hit the gas. Awesome fun!

norman
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
buy a used race car in your budget.