PDA

View Full Version : OBX Cams??

lqdchkn
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
NE1 heard of this brand good or bad?* *They are releasing cams for the evo there Stage II specs are:

-Duration (Lift mm): IN. 272, 10.8; EX. 272, 10.8

-Aggressive lobe setting for racing applications

-Larger lift produces maximum horsepower at all rpm ranges

-Precision machined from forged billet 4130 chrome moly steel rod

-Lightweight hollow design for optimum torque

-Computer balanced for smooth idling

-Compatible with naturally aspirated engines, turbo or supercharged engines

-Lifetime warranty against all manufacturer defects

Price is good at $350 a set but I'm not familiar with the brand and don't want to get shafted. hehe

ZK
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
OBX has been well known to make cheap generic accessories. Stuff like shift knobs, aluminum bolt-on pedals, strut bars, weld on mufflers etc.

Lately they have been moving into more performance-oriented products. Making stuff from Helical-LSDs to turbo kits to cams... As for the quality of these new products I have no idea. I certainly do hope it is better than their previous products!

Evo8andahalf
06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
my friend picked up some obx headers for his mini, the quality of it looks good but like what zk said about their previous products i dont know if i would trust them yet

lqdchkn
06-19-2006, 10:25 PM
OBX has been well known to make cheap generic accessories. Stuff like shift knobs, aluminum bolt-on pedals, strut bars, weld on mufflers etc.

Lately they have been moving into more performance-oriented products. Making stuff from Helical-LSDs to turbo kits to cams... As for the quality of these new products I have no idea. I certainly do hope it is better than their previous products!

my friend picked up some obx headers for his mini, the quality of it looks good but like what zk said about their previous products i dont know if i would trust them yet

Thanks for the info. This is kinda the same opinion I was getting from them. Using the "Type R" symbol in their logo and the non-op website doesn't exactly scream "Quality".

PANGES
06-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I would highly advise against their products. My friend bought a adjustable fuel pressure regulator from them and it failed on him. I would try to trust a company that has been tried and true. However, if you want to be the test subject, I'd be interested to see how these cams do.

Dr. Evo
06-20-2006, 07:26 AM
I bet the same people make their cams that make HKS, Buddy Club, etc. They are probably all made in some factory in India :)

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I know their cams have worked well in Honda's. Search on honda-tech.com to find out some user experiences with them since they've been around for hondas for a while now.

EFIxMR
06-20-2006, 03:11 PM
dont put that in your car you will regret it. people have run their cams in hondas a screwed up the rocker arms putting major damage to their valvetrain. at my old work people would bring their obx lsd trannys in for repair, one guy has his axle permenently stuck into the lsd because it didnt have the proper chamfer on the grooves which locked the c clip of the axle in.

dohcvtec
06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
dont put that in your car you will regret it. people have run their cams in hondas a screwed up the rocker arms putting major damage to their valvetrain. at my old work people would bring their obx lsd trannys in for repair, one guy has his axle permenently stuck into the lsd because it didnt have the proper chamfer on the grooves which locked the c clip of the axle in.

Ah, thanks for clearning that up Andy.

EFIxMR
06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
problem with obx cams are the are billet cromoly, on hondas this caused the rocker arm pads to wear because the cams where incompatible with this material.

the oem honda, skunk2, blox, ect the cams that work basically are chilled cast cores.

incidentally on our evos, hks, gsc, blox, ect are also chilled cast cores. obx in my opinion sells nothing but junk.

lqdchkn
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah they were really cheap like $350 for the set on ebay. I went with my original choice the Comp Camps 272+ part # 119-200. I wanted something a little different that the standard HKS etc.etc. We'll see how they perform, I'm not sure if ne1 else here is running them.