PDA

View Full Version : Walbro 255 pump install **pics**

BaseModelEvo
06-20-2006, 03:06 PM
I think I promised MATZ this post a while ago, I know he was having trouble. Here's a quick write up for the Evolution fuel pump (All CT9A chassis, I believe). You'll need a set of pliers, an 8mm 1/4" drive socket, 1/4" drive ratchet, and a flat and phillips head screw driver

Enjoy, PM or Post for questions, comments!

Pull the rear foam seat pad out. A clip on either side in the center of the seat. Pull the tap and pull up on the seat. Remove it completely and set it somewhere safe.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1170896/FuelPump010.jpg

Remove the black cover on the driver's side. The passenger side cover house the secondary pump. Since the fuel tank is split by the driveline, the passenger side pump simply feeds the primary pump. Now you'll be looking at this.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1170896/FuelPump002.jpg

Remove all lines from the fuel pump. The connector, feed and return lines, and secondary feed line. Then remove the pump retainer nuts holding the pump in place via the black retainer ring. These are 8mm 6 points nuts. Lift the entire assembly to clear the sqaure hole, once it's lifted you can remove the retainer ring, then CAREFULLY rotate the pump until it clears the float and comes out. This is the most difficult part of the entire installation. Here is the unit.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1170896/FuelPump008.jpg

Remove the pump retainer clip on the bottom of the assembly. A rubber spacer is sitting in the bottom below the pump, be careful not to lose it. As the pump wiggles free, don't lose the upper rubber spacer, or the plastic spacer below or the new pump wont seat correctly and it will drop away from the assembly and your car will barely idle. Disconnect the plug. Here is the pump removed. You'll need to use a flat head screw driver to remove the stock pump's screen. Don't lose this little clip, flatten the fingers and reuse it. Replace it if you want to turn this into a 2-day job, lol. Install it onto the new pump.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1170896/FuelPump003.jpg

With the strainer/filter on the new pump, install the spacers as they came out (rubber on top, plastic below it). Plug it in FIRST, then insert the assembly into the housing and re-install the lower retained and lower rubber spacer. A small tab will drop through the bottom to let you know the spacer is centered. You're done swapping. CAREFULLY install the entire assembly back into the car. Be sure the rubber seal on the pump assembly has kept itself attached or the lid wont seal. Twist and turn slow until it's back in. Install the retainer ring. Tighten the nuts just past hand tight with the ratchet. Reinstall all lines and fuel pump clip. Before reinstalling the final cover start the car (drive it, preferably) to assure installation and function. This pump will be noticeably louder and whine more (especially during low fuel conditions!) than the stock pump. It's completely normal.

Here is a shot of the upper rubber seal/spacer. Make sure it stays put. The platic spacer goes below this on the fuel pump outlet neck.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1170896/FuelPump006.jpg

Hopefully this was helpfull. Not as complex as it seems, but definitely a tedious little job. Enjoy and good luck if you're doing this on your own!

Matz
06-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for posting! I really needed step 2.75, which was getting the FP assembly out of the tank... the how-to on evo moto was a little more detailed, but I certainly appreciate your posting this.

Mr Evo
06-21-2006, 09:17 AM
yea woody thanks for doing my fuel pump

BaseModelEvo
06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Word. Enjoying the ride?

Mr Evo
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
ha hell yea its awsome

byt
08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
woohoo mine went in today! these tips were very helpful! :D

Positron
08-18-2006, 06:45 PM
U feel any power difference Bore?

byt
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
yeah, it's slower. don't be a dik!

krispytapa
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
just installed my walbro but it seems a bit shorter than stock. w/ the walbro in and seated on the lower rubber spacer, the upper plastic spacer is free floating on the feed hose. if i push the pump up so that the plastic spacer isn't moving, the pump isn't seated on the lower rubber spacer. i tested w/ the stock and it seats just fine. ??? i double checked that the filter screen was on snug and correct on both test fits. anyone have any insight?

XVeloX
01-09-2007, 02:20 AM
just installed my walbro but it seems a bit shorter than stock. w/ the walbro in and seated on the lower rubber spacer, the upper plastic spacer is free floating on the feed hose. if i push the pump up so that the plastic spacer isn't moving, the pump isn't seated on the lower rubber spacer. i tested w/ the stock and it seats just fine. ??? i double checked that the filter screen was on snug and correct on both test fits. anyone have any insight?

we talked on the phone earlier, but...have you put them side by side? did you buy brand new? sounds like maybe the wrong fp to me, i've installed 2 and they are identical to stock size wise...