PDA

View Full Version : June Issue of SCC Mag "EVO Orgy"

Black_EVO
04-24-2004, 02:14 AM
I just recieved my monthly issue of Sport CompactCar today. The last couple of issues have really sucked but this one is worth picking up. The article is titled "EVO Orgy". Tittle is a little corny but it is a great article all about tuned EVO's.
:skid:
They tested 9 EVOs with 5 tests (dyno, braking, acceleration, lateral grip, lap times a Willow Springs raceway). The object of the article was not to determine a winner, but to show the strengths and weaknesses of each tuners strategy. The EVO's that attended were: Vishnu, WORKS, RB Motoring, RMR, Sparco/A'PEXi, XS engineering, TODA Racing and Road/Race Engineering. BR was invited but couldn't make it because of a clutch problem.

The writer was a little harsh on Works but all in all it was a very informative article. There are dyno charts showing HP and T for all of the cars that were tested + a stock RS. My favorite was the SPARCO/A'PEXi car. It came in at 399hp@6800rpm and 344lb-ft@5800. The dyno chart was very impressive. If I had a flatbed scanner I would post the pics but my old scanner isn't compatable with my new Thinkpad.

The article is not posted on the web site yet but they will have a wall paper of all the EVOs as soon as it is. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com

brwnrice
04-24-2004, 06:05 AM
i think i'm going to buy this issue

Evo442
04-24-2004, 07:43 AM
I'll be buying the issue too. I've heard that Works did not fare well in the comparison. What was said?

JanSolo
04-24-2004, 10:51 AM
WORKS went into the competition with a car that had no 4th gear and a hand built prototype turbo that had spooling issues. Obviously, they've been replaced since then, otherwise the WORKS Evo would not be the monster it is today. A number of people here have driven in the car and can attest to it's power and neck snapping performance. Remember - this is just a snapshot of what a particular car is like at a given time.

jstockdale
04-24-2004, 06:38 PM
What Jan said.

-S ...

thomas
04-24-2004, 10:46 PM
WORKS went into the competition with a car that had no 4th gear and a hand built prototype turbo that had spooling issues. Obviously, they've been replaced since then, otherwise the WORKS Evo would not be the monster it is today. A number of people here have driven in the car and can attest to it's power and neck snapping performance. Remember - this is just a snapshot of what a particular car is like at a given time.

:werd:

ima pick up the issue tomorra...

Black_EVO
04-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I'll be buying the issue too. I've heard that Works did not fare well in the comparison. What was said?

There was a portion in the begining of the article that was not directly directed at WORKS or Vishnu but I think it might have been anyway.

"It's not obvious from the photos buth there are some affordable cars in this group. Cars with only a few thousand dollars in mods. Cars with stock turbos, stock brakes and stock tires. EVOs are so good, it seems many tuners leave well enough alone. Either that or they simply don't have their shit together. We found out which soon enough."

Vishnu had a problem with the lug nuts for thier Volk wheels. It seem their lugs were in different car 200 miles away. They had to use stock wheels.

WORKS had a turbo lag problem and transmission problems. Here is the quote: "But there are problems. Shifting trouble, thanks to a tired transmission, ultimately add several tenths to this car's quarter-mile time and boost response is off mark. The days of turbo lag are virtually gone and a mismatched turbo stands out in this group like the pope at Monster Jam."

Ouch :crazyeyes: :bandhead:
I'm sure thes issues have been fixed with the WORKS car. I'm looking forward to getting a ride to check it out. :thumbsup: :wink:

Evo442
04-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Too bad the Works car was not ready to go at the time of the "orgy". I'd be very interested to see some dyno sheets on the Works shop car now that the above issues are fixed. Tyler? Pete?

JanSolo
04-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Too bad the Works car was not ready to go at the time of the "orgy". I'd be very interested to see some dyno sheets on the Works shop car now that the above issues are fixed. Tyler? Pete?

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/monstermate/images/mitsuevo8/basestvsstock_large.jpg

ez76
04-25-2004, 10:53 AM

I am also interested to see how Vishnu's real shop car performs on the same dyno :D

Evo442
04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Wow - looks great - thanks Jan!

Evo442
04-25-2004, 01:15 PM

I am also interested to see how Vishnu's real shop car performs on the same dyno :D

I too would love to see a side by side comparison with Works, vishnu etc on the same dyno on the same day.

nebolic
04-25-2004, 04:35 PM
i think that most people get hung up on the issue of Peak HP numbers and Peak Torque numbers. Let's not forget that you can make any car as powerful as you want, but the motor won't last very long, I think the main concern is the reliability factor and I guess only time will tell...

Also Peak Numbers are just what they are... for bragging rights... I think the usable power band (the areas under the curve) is more important the the "peak". In any case, theres always more to a product and a company than just advertisements... "Customer Service and Support" is a big must.... given a lot of us "customers" are pretty anal about things, especially me :)

ez76
04-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Nebolic you make a good point, and in conjunction with dyno graphs (showing the area under the curve), to me it's as important to take a look at air:fuel ratios, boost levels, and ignition timing (if you can log it or have access to view the maps).

It's more important to me to see how a tuner is making power, because that tells me how well it's tuned.

On a side note, if you're like nebolic and me and like to make sure things are running well, or if you're going to be tuning your car yourself, I highly recommend getting your hands on an EGT gauge with peak hold (like the Defi Link gauges) if not a wideband A/F meter.

Find a long stretch of road and do a couple long pulls in 4th and 5th gear and make sure those EGT's are comfortably under 1600F the whole time, a little higher if you're on race gas.

Black_EVO
04-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Very true.. about the peak HP numbers. I liked the Sparco car because of the area under the curves. It has a very impressive torque curve and decent HP curve. Many of the cars in the article did have high peak numbers but dropped off quickly after peak. WORKS and Vishnu were definately not sub standard by any means. I'm sure the every day drivability and longevity of the engine are preserved by not making huge peak numbers. Still a very informative article to read to see what other tuners are doing. :thumbsup:

EvoVIII
04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Find a long stretch of road and do a couple long pulls in 4th and 5th gear and make sure those EGT's are comfortably under 1600F the whole time, a little higher if you're on race gas.

well my EGT show me that my Highest is at 750C ...... does that sounds about right?

ez76
04-26-2004, 10:48 AM
well my EGT show me that my Highest is at 750C ...... does that sounds about right?

is your EGT probe in an exhaust manifold runner? if so, that's plenty rich.

EvolvedDSM
04-26-2004, 05:23 PM
1600*F roughly equals 900*C. Ideally, you should be placing the probe atop runner number 1 (closest to the cam gears) a couple of inches from the head. The heat shield bolt makes an ideal spot providing your probe is long enough.