PDA

View Full Version : my computer

superstevieb0y
04-26-2004, 09:24 PM
my computers been actin up real badly and i have had FOUR reformatts for it in less than 14 days!!!!........ i cant figure out how to fix the darn thing. what happens is that i turn the computer on and it goes fine for 1 min or so and then it would say a file is missing or corrupt. thats the first 2 times it got busted. The other 2 gets stuck when windows is loading up and would go to this page saying that something is wrong and you can go in on safe mode or just go in as you usually do. I tried safe mode and just going in normally but the darn thing still got stuck and i cant get in! its so frustrating when that happens.... :x

Black_EVO
04-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Sledge hammer works good. :twisted: I had one that did that too. :blam:

ytsejam
04-26-2004, 09:47 PM
did it throw any kind of "RPC Unavailable" message and then rebooted itself?

what kind of OS are you running?

have you tried the same thing with diff. hard drive? or even diff memory? if you have 2 sticks of diff brand, try running of 1 stick and swap if it's still occuring.

anyways sounds like it's an OS corrupt file in installation, but couldn't tell for sure.

good luck

vtluu
04-26-2004, 10:39 PM
There's a fairly common virus with that symptom (name escapes me at the moment); have you tried running a virus scanner?

superstevieb0y
04-26-2004, 10:53 PM
yeea i thought it was a virus but everytime i run the antivirus scanner it says that there arent any viruses.... man this really sucks

ez76
04-26-2004, 11:07 PM
if you have reformatted and the problem persists you may be looking at a hardware problem somewhere between the motherboard and the hard drive.

it could be something like a loose or bad hard drive data or power cable - is that possible?

JanSolo
04-26-2004, 11:28 PM
That or your installation media has issues.

SilverBullet
04-27-2004, 12:18 AM
virus ! some virus are hidden to many antivirus progs out there...try using different antivirus progs to see if one finds something that the other may not. GOOD LUCK

Black_EVO
04-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Symantic Anti Virus is a good program. That is what we use in my company. They are very good about updating thier data base. It updates automaticly when you are on-line. :thumbsup:

crapsstickman
04-27-2004, 08:25 AM
I would think Virus unless it starts right away after reinstall. What OS are you running? If it happens on a fresh install it may be hardware. Next time, if you need to format, try "fdisk". This is like an super format. that will ensure that absolutly nothing is left on your drive.

Then again you can just use a BIG magnet. :blam:

halz
04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Yep.. if it is not a virus, it should be a hardware problem..

You can check at least the RAM with this free, very easy to use memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/
If this program doesn't throw any errors while it runs, the memory is OK.

Another thing it could be is a bad power supply which is causing the hardware in the machine to flip out.. the hard drives, in particular.

A pretty decent full-system hardware test is to install some flavor of Linux.. The install wizards are very good about scoping out every aspect of the system, as a number of scripts and programs try to determin what hardware can be automatically configured. Historically, this sort of 'test' actually got Intel to recall its 1.13GHz PIII CPUs.. the CPU passed all sorts of benchmarks run under Windows and appeared to be the fastest CPU on the market.. until someone decided to test linux kernel compile times.

ytsejam
04-27-2004, 09:06 PM
try "stinger" too

superstevieb0y
04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
hmmm thanks guys for tryin to help me things are goin well with my computer so far. hopefully i wont run into the same problems again!!!! if i do i think im just goin to set the lil sucker on fire and watch it burn down :twisted: