PDA

View Full Version : Got another hatch

MarkSAE
07-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Okay, I've turned into a hatch fanatic!* *:lol:

Now that the weather's gotten hot in the south bay, I've been having to commute w/ my EVO cuz my EG doesn't have AC.* While not such a bad thing, my EVO only averages 22 mpg and I drive about 100 miles/day.

HAP wants $500 for all the parts needed to install AC in my EG, so I've been holding off trying to find the parts a lot cheaper from a private party.* After about 3 months of passive searching, I still haven't been able to track down what I needed.* So I just started looking at getting a whole 'nother car, or buying a car to swap the parts over, and then reselling it.* But then I came across this hatch that was too good a deal to pass up, so I went and bought it.* :D

Anyone who has tried finding a hatch knows how hard it is to find a clean title, adult owned, stock one that's not rediculously overpriced.* This is a 99 DX w/ 123k miles on it.* The car was sold to me by the original owners that gave me all the service records since the car was new.

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10294/normal_IMG_1203.jpg

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10294/normal_IMG_1204b.JPG

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10294/normal_IMG_1206b.JPG

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10294/normal_IMG_1209.jpg

http://norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10294/normal_IMG_1210.jpg

MAB1025
07-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Damn... How much did you buy it for? I've been trying to locate a clean EK hatch for the longest time.

MarkSAE
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I got it for $4250. The exhaust manifold is cracked and the AC needs to be recharged. Those are simple fixes though.

SouthernCrane
07-02-2006, 10:26 AM
:cool:

So are you going to turn the EG into another track machine and leave the EK stock for commuting since it has AC?

My EG is pretty much how I want it for part time track use now Mark. It still has daily driver duties though so I kept the AC, power steering, and cruise control. I think I am going to get rid of solid engine mounts, so if i do, i'll sell them to you if you end up with a B-Series in there.........they are the HASport ones.

ace33joe
07-02-2006, 11:36 AM
That is a clean car! Congratulations!

ZK
07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Damn!!! 99-00 Hatches are the most rare of the EKs. They didn't sell well and it was the last of the EK models. The updated front, rear and the double din radio are good updates. Awesome find! Cracked exhaust manifold = header time! :)

All you need is an Si lip on that and it'll look real nice. ;)

KareBearPowa
07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
mmm 106hp ftw. :lol:

What are you going to do with your other hatch Mark? ;)

MarkSAE
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I think I got pretty lucky w/ this hatch. Most of the 99-00s I see go for $5-6k easily. I've seen some go for as high as $8k. That's pretty rediculous as these cars only costed like $13-14k new.

It's actually nice having power steering for parking. But the manual rack rules w/ responsiveness in corners. The steetring w/ this car is very vague in corners.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do w/ my EG now. There's already a line of people who've told me they'd want to buy it.. hahah.. I dunno if I'd be willing to give up a car that gets 40+ mpg that I can use like 75% of the year.

MarkSAE
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM

So are you going to turn the EG into another track machine and leave the EK stock for commuting since it has AC?

My EG is pretty much how I want it for part time track use now Mark. It still has daily driver duties though so I kept the AC, power steering, and cruise control. I think I am going to get rid of solid engine mounts, so if i do, i'll sell them to you if you end up with a B-Series in there.........they are the HASport ones.

The temptation is there to turn the EG into a track machine.. I'm still deciding. I'll just sit w/ 3 cars for a while.. hahah.. I'd sell the evo if I decided to turn the EG into a track car tho.. I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

ek9_evo9
07-03-2006, 12:04 PM

The temptation is there to turn the EG into a track machine.. I'm still deciding. I'll just sit w/ 3 cars for a while.. hahah.. I'd sell the evo if I decided to turn the EG into a track car tho.. I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

beautiful.....99-00 ek hatch FTW, i got milano red. thats one of the cleanest non modded used hatchie ive seen. good job locating that sumumma bish

LEVIII
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Thats a way good deal. they could have gotten alot more for it.

We just sold our 93 Si hatch, all stock with no AC for 3800 and it had 175k on it.

I was also peicing together AC for it so if you want to pick up some AC parts for your eg I have some, Im not sure how much their worth though. lemme know if your interested.

MarkSAE
07-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Now I know why the previous owners sold me the car for so cheap.* After I fixed the exhaust leak, I can hear some bad bearing noises coming from the tranny.* The engine bay goes completely silent when I step on the clutch while idling in neutral.* No biggie.* I just picked up another tranny for $160 off craigslist.* I love how cheap parts are for this car!

KareBearPowa
07-04-2006, 12:49 PM
The engine bay goes completely silent when I step on the clutch while idling in neutral.

Hahha, sounds like my EVO. ;)

I don't think I have ever heard a car with over 120k miles not have that noise.

dohcvtec
07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Wish I knew you were looking for A/C for your EG, I just tore out/threw away my entire A/C system out of the del sol.* :?

btw, nice hatch. :)

MarkSAE
07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't think I have ever heard a car with over 120k miles not have that noise.

well, my EG has 165k and it doesn't make any of those noises. Hopefully this other tranny that I bought will work once I install it.

Wish I knew you were looking for A/C for your EG, I just tore out/threw away my entire A/C system out of the del sol. :?

btw, nice hatch. :)

Doh! Man.. perhaps I should have been more proactive in trying to find an entire AC system for my EG.. oh well.. I'm pretty happy to be driving an EK now anyway. :)

SpeedElement
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
you might just have a bad throwout bearing. nice find!

MarkSAE
07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
you might just have a bad throwout bearing. nice find!

That thought did cross my mind. But the tranny makes a lot of other noise when the car is in gear too. I guess I'll find out what the source of the problem is this weekend when I have it apart.

SpeedElement
07-05-2006, 12:41 AM
next suspect would be the main shaft bearing that sits in the bellhousing. had that happen to my friends single cam 96' ex.

MarkSAE
07-05-2006, 08:07 AM
next suspect would be the main shaft bearing that sits in the bellhousing. had that happen to my friends single cam 96' ex.

That's what it sounds like to me. I had the intermediate shaft bearing go out on me on my GSX tranny and this tranny is exhibiting a similar "death whine".