PDA

View Full Version : MBC needed on a IX with ecuflash?

stingerbtry
07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I've searched and can't find anything definitive here or on evom and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not you need a boost controller on a IX if you get a reflash. Since I've had the car I've been told yes and no. Pretty much everywhere I read (at least for the 03-05 models) I see that you need a mbc regardless but I've also been told that the reflash will take care of holding the boost where it's supposed to be. On my stock boost guage it looks like I'm hitting around +/-1.3 bars but it bleeds back off really fast after i gets there it seems and I'd like to stabilize it. Any help would be appreciated.

lqdchkn
07-03-2006, 02:27 PM
No it's not necessary unless you want to controll boost other than what the ECU is programmed to.

stingerbtry
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
No it's not necessary unless you want to controll boost other than what the ECU is programmed to.

So the flash should hold the stock boost to what it's set to instead of letting it bleed off as fast like it does now?

lqdchkn
07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
The ECU is set to "bleed" boost like it's doing now.* Depending on the flash you get it may "bleed" differently ( less) or not at all. ;)

PANGES
07-03-2006, 03:41 PM
When I got my flash with Vishnu, he put some pill in my boost line that raised mine to 23psi. I believe works changes boost through the ecu that holds to redline. I would still recommend a MBC even though it's not SUPER necessary. It's useful if you want to change boost to what you want instead of relying on what the tuner sets it at. Also, my boost is set at 23 psi and tapers to like 16psi. With a good MBC, I'd probally only taper down to like 19psi maybe.

KareBearPowa
07-03-2006, 03:47 PM
You can control the boost and taper via EcuFlash. However for higher boost then stock and to make it a bit easier to control, you need to use a different pill in the vac line.

KitW
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
so, I just reflashed my IX with Ecuflash and I'm only seeing about 16psi in 3rd and 4th. that's with the factory boost target set to max through 6500 rpm.

I'm gonna slap in an MBC. I have one laying around.

KareBearPowa
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
please tell me you didn't put a dynoflash in there, I saw you on the E-flash thread.

EV0LL
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Y not, Al is the bestest! 8)

mtsevovii
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
oh god...flamer. :lol:

UCB
07-05-2006, 07:39 PM
lol..I wish someone would share with me the downfalls of dynoflash

On evoM they swing on the dynoflash nuts

stingerbtry
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM

Same here. I haven't really heard of any from searching.

evo_dadi
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM

well here's a quick overview of dynoflash:
-mail-in tunes are pretty decent considering there is still more to be had but it runs safe with some good power gain.
-custom tune/stree tune has been more crappy than the mail-in tunes and likes to run like shit.
-al has a really bad habit at blowing at some customers and known to be very rude and careless of the owner's evo.

Matz
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM

High octane map == low octane map FTL

EV0LL
07-07-2006, 05:23 AM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/everyone_loves_al/

All you need to know ;)

KitW
07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I've been told that his maps are reasonable for a mail in tune. I'll see. I have tuned cars before, but I wanted to see his maps. I paid for it. $50. I'll certainly be able to let y'all know if it's a piece of crap or not. I'd hoped it'd be a better starting point than me running through the gears, staring at my wideband. :)

I might regret it. hehe, we'll see.

stingerbtry
07-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I've been told that his maps are reasonable for a mail in tune. I'll see. I have tuned cars before, but I wanted to see his maps. I paid for it. $50. I'll certainly be able to let y'all know if it's a piece of crap or not. I'd hoped it'd be a better starting point than me running through the gears, staring at my wideband. :)

I might regret it. hehe, we'll see.

Any update on this? I'm curious to hear what you think. I finally got my eflash and through each pull I was getting knock sum numbers anywhere from 2-8 in the 3k-6k'ish rpm range. I posted on the dynoflash forum about it asking questions while I was waiting for Al to get back to me and when he did finally get back to me he told me that he wouldn't help me unless I removed all of my posts where I was asking questions about having knock after a reflash. I played along at first and removed the post on his thread but then he replied again and told me basically that I had to remove any post where I was asking for help and not post anymore or he wouldn't do a thing. I told him essentially to f*&k off so now I'm back to square one with a $50 flash that took over a week to get that I only ran for about 30 minutes tops. Piss poor if you ask me. I went back after going back to the stock map and did some more logging and over the course of about an hour or so I only got a 1 and a 2 knock sum and this was at ~85 degrees outside whereas the eflash numbers were from cool early morning runs. I guess everything I've read and heard about dynoflash is unfortunately true and I'll need to go get an actual custom tune somewhere local now:( I wonder how so many people have been so happy with his mail-ins and eflashes? Maybe he just can't tune the IX??

KareBearPowa
07-16-2006, 12:29 AM
I posted on the dynoflash forum about it asking questions while I was waiting for Al to get back to me and when he did finally get back to me he told me that he wouldn't help me unless I removed all of my posts where I was asking questions about having knock after a reflash. I played along at first and removed the post on his thread but then he replied again and told me basically that I had to remove any post where I was asking for help and not post anymore or he wouldn't do a thing.

AHHAHAA, good ol Al. And people wonder why I give certain vendors hard times.

chuckdashi
07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
honestly over at socal we dont recommend the flash from al.... safc tune or a custom ecu tune would be better.... since every car is different.... with the mbc its not recommended but if you would like to eliminate the taper... an mbc would be recommended....

Matz
07-16-2006, 01:00 AM
I posted on the dynoflash forum about it asking questions while I was waiting for Al to get back to me and when he did finally get back to me he told me that he wouldn't help me unless I removed all of my posts where I was asking questions about having knock after a reflash. I played along at first and removed the post on his thread but then he replied again and told me basically that I had to remove any post where I was asking for help and not post anymore or he wouldn't do a thing.

AHHAHAA, good ol Al. And people wonder why I give certain vendors hard times.

I need to find that ass-crack picture of Al. Maybe I'll change my avatar to that on evom.

KareBearPowa
07-16-2006, 01:07 AM
More DynoFlash lovely tuning:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=211815

ooh look at all those 7/8's at torque peak, oooh look at all that knock.

Matz
07-16-2006, 07:46 AM
More DynoFlash lovely tuning:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=211815

ooh look at all those 7/8's at torque peak, oooh look at all that knock.

What's ideal for timing around peak torque? Mine is the same around 3500RPM. I know I have to get the fuel map optimized before I even start thinking about timing, but was just curious. I will check out your ECU+ logs I guess.

EDIT -- ah, so you're saying that Al runs too much timing.

KareBearPowa
07-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Yea but you are running alot less boost right now.

KitW
07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I never got my tune. Maybe it's better that way.

What's the best way to monitor knock in an IX? I am looking at voltage, but that's not specifically what the ECU cares about, so I want to figure out a better way. Sorry for the noob question. Will a standard obd-II monitor pick it up or do I need to spend more money?

KareBearPowa
07-21-2006, 09:09 AM
EvoScan logs knock counts.

Jamie@WORKS
07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
I've searched and can't find anything definitive here or on evom and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not you need a boost controller on a IX if you get a reflash. Since I've had the car I've been told yes and no. Pretty much everywhere I read (at least for the 03-05 models) I see that you need a mbc regardless but I've also been told that the reflash will take care of holding the boost where it's supposed to be. On my stock boost guage it looks like I'm hitting around +/-1.3 bars but it bleeds back off really fast after i gets there it seems and I'd like to stabilize it. Any help would be appreciated.

If you don't want the boost to taper, you'll need to replace the boost hose assembly. With the WORKS Brain Flash P2, we use own lines that were developed years ago and look identical to the stock ones that allow us the control needed to maintain boost all the way to the rev-limiter.