PDA

View Full Version : Road and Track article: Cayman S vs. Evo IX MR (VIDEO)

ZK
07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Did you guys see the new issue of Road and Track? It has the RS4 and C4S on the cover. In that issue, they compare the Porsche Cayman S and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR.

The performance numbers are very similar with the Cayman S coming out slightly ahead but on the track the Evo had faster lap times. They mention how it's a great deal that you can get that much performance for under 1/2 the price of the Porsche. :)

Eclipse
07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
It doesn't exactly cover any new ground but it was a fairly favorable comparision. R&T did name the Evolution one its 10 best performance cars of all time a year or two ago.

ZK
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
It doesn't exactly cover any new ground but it was a fairly favorable comparision. R&T did name the Evolution one its 10 best performance cars of all time a year or two ago.

I think that was the Evo 7 before the Evo 8 arrived in the US.

One of my favorite ones is the Evo 9 vs RS4 vs C4 in Evo magazine:

http://www.germancarzone.com/showthread.php?t=2699

Lurk
07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I can tell you first hand how the Cayman S stacks up against a stock EVO IX. Hands down, the EVO is better. How do I know? I test drove one last week at the dealership with a friend who was looking to buy one.

The Cayman S has good midrange punch but top end was definately not upto "Porsche Standards". Handling and suspension was really good, the suspension is nice and tight but not bouncy or jarring. But in the wet, the EVO definately has an advantage do to AWD. As for comfort and luxury, I feel the Cayman S is definately not a car I'd like to drive on a long trip (neither is the EVO) but my legs felt cramped in the Porsche. Alot more so than when I'm sitting in the EVO. The EVO is also alot quieter in the cabin, stock for stock. The Cayman has ALOT of engine noise and drone. For $70k+ OTD, there are much better choices out there than a Cayman S. I for one, would much rather get a used 996 TT if I wanted a Porsche.

ek9_evo9
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM

the dr is an ass

he's right about a lot of things but wquite simply R&T places 3 cars together and the evo came out on top. *a track car is a track car, stripped, luxury, bone stock its still a track car. *the dr irritated me, otherwise good find on the article. *enjoyed it

AWDrift
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM

the dr is an ass

he's right about a lot of things but wquite simply R&T places 3 cars together and the evo came out on top.* a track car is a track car, stripped, luxury, bone stock its still a track car.* the dr irritated me, otherwise good find on the article.* enjoyed it

+1 on the irritating dr.

ZK
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Now there's a video:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=3688

mtsevovii
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
nice vid, but too bad i cant download the vid

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-15-2006, 12:38 AM
"we're not saying that the Evo is a better car than the Porsche but it sure makes a good race of it"

what?? lol nice vid regardless. =P

Stormtrooper
07-18-2006, 12:47 AM
awesome vid! Thanks phil

DB8GSR
07-18-2006, 04:52 AM
"we're not saying that the Evo is a better car than the Porsche but it sure makes a good race of it"

what?? lol nice vid regardless. =P

layman's term translation - "whatever tickles your pickle" :lol: