PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical VS Electric boost gauge

mygsx
07-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Currently have the autometer mechical boost gauge. Anyone have any experience using the electric boost gauges Specifically the Defi Electric PSi Boost gauges? After getting my car retuned for the larger injectors seems my auto meter boost gauge reads differently(anywhere from 2-3 psi) from the 2 past dyno tuning sessions from the operators Dyno Boost gauges. :x

mygsx
07-07-2006, 01:08 PM
32 views and not one reply?odd....

Matz
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
32 views and not one reply?odd....

You got 32 views from people who may not have either boost gauge. :wink:

Where did you tap your boost hose line? I have a GReddy warning boost gauge (electronic with peak reading) tapped into my intake manifold.

zyounker
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Probably changed because you are tapped at the FPR and something changed there. (this is usually on the rail)

This also changes with temperature and elevation. mechanical Boost guages are known to be very inacurrate. But i am not sure if electronic ones are all that better(never tested one)

I currently am using the apexi electronic guage and it seems to read the same always and seems accurate.

PANGES
07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I have an Apexi EL mechanical gauge... have been using it for a couple years... on my Evo and my last car and it's worked great. Always reads the same and seems really accurate...

mygsx
07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm currently tapped at the FPR line. Maybe I should tap into the same line as the BOV line( at the manifold) huh and see what happen.
Perhaps eletic is the way to go from various forum threads i've read.

evo_dadi
07-09-2006, 07:51 AM
tapped at the fpr line* :shock: definitely move it to the bov line.the fpr line* should be the last place to tap on or even not.the fpr is now compensating for larger injectors and with the boost gauge tapped on youre are gonna see an inaccurate boost reading.i have the mechanical defi D series and mine is almost dead on with the dyno.

EvoRicer
07-09-2006, 08:05 AM
^^ Damn I should move mine too...but i'm too lazy...

mygsx
07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
^^^

^^ Damn I should move mine too...but i'm too lazy...

Lol I moved mines over off to the bov line.
How much do the mechanical Defi D boosts g's go for?

mygsx
07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
evodadi is this your gauge difference between the eip dyno,or whose dyno.BTW how much difference between yours and whoevers dyno?

ZK
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
The cool thing with the electrical gauge is you mount the sensor inside the engine bay and just run wires into your cabin. With the mechanical, you run the hose right to the gauge itself which can be a pain in tight spots.

ApexVIII
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
what is the diffrence where it is tapped? the owner befor me put the T over bu the intake manifold. not the BOV should i move it?

zyounker
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
The strength of the signal is the difference.. I use to put everything to an accumulator on my RX7 and get all my readings for all equipment from that. I think off the turbo (or BOV line) would give the strongest most accurate single..

-Zach

EvoRicer
07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
what is the diffrence where it is tapped? the owner befor me put the T over bu the intake manifold. not the BOV should i move it?

The Intake mani line is basically the BOV line so there is no point is moving yours. If you follow the Intake Mani line, it leads to your BOV anyway.

KareBearPowa
07-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I've always tapped the FPR line to the intake manifold for my boost gauge the last 7 years plus.

No reason it should ever blow off if you secure everything like you should.

mygsx
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Bryan are you using the electric boost gauge or manual?

MarkSAE
07-10-2006, 09:36 PM
You can tap your boost gauge anywhere that goes straight to the intake manifold.* *I have mine tapped between the FPR and the IM.

I like electrical because my sensor is really close to the intake. So the response, in theory, should be faster. Whereas w/ a mechanical gauge, the boost needs to travel from the engine bay all the way to the gauge. Plus if your boost hose has a sharp bend somewhere along the way, it could throw off readings and reduce response time.

KareBearPowa
07-10-2006, 11:04 PM

electric greddy 60mm peak hold.

mygsx
07-11-2006, 10:07 PM

electric greddy 60mm peak hold.

Just ordered a 60mm also 8)
Hey Bryan what should the target maximum and safe egt's be ranging at/too?

KareBearPowa
07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey Bryan what should the target maximum and safe egt's be ranging at/too?

For living a 1/4 mile at a time, the sweet spot is usually hitting just 900c when you cross the line.

Street blasts, about 820-850c I feel comfortable with.

Open track I usually see 880c at the end of the long straights.

Cruising on the hwy its usually 760-780c

This is with the EGT probe in the 1st or 2nd runner.

mygsx
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
For living a 1/4 mile at a time, the sweet spot is usually hitting just 900c when you cross the line.

Street blasts, about 820-850c I feel comfortable with.

Open track I usually see 880c at the end of the long straights.

Cruising on the hwy its usually 760-780c

This is with the EGT probe in the 1st or 2nd runner.

Very important Info For the Masses!

mygsx
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Has anyone ever tried using the autometer C2 electric gauges? OR are all the electric boost gauges in general good to use/rely on?