PDA

View Full Version : CHP cracking down on speeders

warpspeed
04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I just heard this morning that the CHP are cracking down on speeders from I-80 all the way to the Reno border. :( They said that they will even get you if you are 5 miles over the limit. And get this, they have a new radar gun that will be hard to contest in court. The report also said that if you do get a ticket, the cost will be from $200-$350 :shock: plus how many miles over the limit you did. So watch out guys.

SouthernCrane
04-28-2004, 01:10 PM
$200+, ouch, another reason not to speed.

warpspeed
04-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/3247164/detail.html

SilverBullet
04-28-2004, 02:13 PM
damn !

Black_EVO
04-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I can't wit to see a mass pull over that jacks up trafic for hours. I think 90% of cars on I-80 including myself drive 75mph which is +10. This should be very interesting. :cop:

halz
04-29-2004, 04:26 PM
So this would explain why I've seen CHP on the side of HWY 85 the past two days in a row now, commuting back and forth from work.. And the most recent time, I thought in my head *damn.. this car in front of me is spacing out traffic a wee too much.. I think i'll pass it via the commuter lane* Just as a finished my thought, I caught a glance of a cruiser waiting on the side of the road.

vtluu
04-29-2004, 04:37 PM
:pissed: They got me last night. I'd barely rolled 150 yards out of the NVIDIA parking lot when I spotted two motorcycle cops hiding under the Central Expwy overpass but by that time it was already too late, they'd radared me. They said I was going 62. 150 yards out of the parking lot, keeping my revs below 4krpm? Bulls***! I'm fighting this one all the way. Aaargh! :ahnold:

AlwayzEVOlving
04-29-2004, 08:41 PM
:pissed: They got me last night. I'd barely rolled 150 yards out of the NVIDIA parking lot when I spotted two motorcycle cops hiding under the Central Expwy overpass but by that time it was already too late, they'd radared me. They said I was going 62. 150 yards out of the parking lot, keeping my revs below 4krpm? Bulls***! I'm fighting this one all the way. Aaargh! :ahnold:

:bs: That sucks....how fast were you going? I am sorry but I HATE COPS. They see an EVO and they automatically assume you are breaking the law. I hope you beat that ticket in court!

:ahnold: TICKETS

AlwayzEVOlving
04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
I can't wit to see a mass pull over that jacks up trafic for hours. I think 90% of cars on I-80 including myself drive 75mph which is +10. This should be very interesting. :cop:

:werd:

:ahnold: :cop:

vtluu
04-29-2004, 10:04 PM
That sucks....how fast were you going? I am sorry but I HATE COPS. They see an EVO and they automatically assume you are breaking the law. I hope you beat that ticket in court!
Thanks. I figure I couldn't have been over 50. If they would've caught me really speeding, fine, fair is fair, but what bugs me is I wasn't even speeding!

And when they stopped me, they said, "If you weren't speeding why is it your nose dipped when you put on the brakes when you passed us?" I told them, "Because the light ahead was red and I had to come to a stop." And they said, "The light wasn't red." But now that I think about it, that's BS as well because I remember sitting at the light and watching nervously as the motorcycle cop pulled up behind me. It wasn't until after I left the light that he put the flashers on and pulled me over (just before the on-ramp to 101S).

As I was pulling over all I could think was, "He must think I have an aftermarket/illegal exhaust or something." I was totally flabbergasted when he said I was speeding. It wasn't even on my mind as a possibility. :roll:

CollinsT
04-30-2004, 09:08 AM
I heard about this and I went the same speed everyone else was going about 70

warpspeed
04-30-2004, 10:11 AM
:( Sorry to hear that Tam. But if they caught you with the new Lidar (pronouce Lie-dar) gun, they are not suppose to ticket you since it is a new gadget. They are suppose to give you a warning if you are caught with the Lidar until May 7 or something. Now if it was the old radar gun then you have a good chance of winning. :)
Good luck.

s13chica
04-30-2004, 10:19 AM
I jsut got a ticket last week as well...doing 41 in a 25 zone...the worst thing about it is that I really thought it was a 35! Bleh...I've done 130 on the freeway out of choice, and I knew the speed limit, so I would have accepted the ticket, but this just sucks since I really didn't think I was doing anything wrong!

nebolic
04-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Vtluu

Just bust out some math calculatins for those mofo.

1mile = 1760 yards
for every 1 yard it is roughly 0.0005681818
so in that 150 yards that you traveled (guesstimate)
you went about 0.0852272715 miles of road

if you know how to drive the Evo you 1/8th mile speed is roughly 72mph depending on how you launch etc...

1/8th mile = ~0.125 miles

you only traveled 0.085 miles so you are way less than the 1/8th mile mark

Assuming constant acceleration with a quick quesstimate again you were going about 66% of the 1/8th mile so we can take 72mph x 0.66 = ~ 47.52mph (thats my calculation on how fast u were going which is pretty close to what you think you were going) (again this is very rough estimate) I don't feel like taking the time out right now to the full calculations to get a better idea of how fast you are going, but you get my point.

If you were clocked "supposedly" at 62mph at around 150yards, then either you are the best drag racer in the United States and in your Evo you would've hit 90mph+ on your 1/8th mile which would also put you in the low 12 secs to high 11 sec territory in the quartermile which will also make your Evo one of the fastest stock Evos in the world.

Anyhow thats my take on it.

Hope it helps.

Nebo

P.S. The incentive to stay in school :)

SouthernCrane
04-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Vtluu

1mile = 1760 yards

if you know how to drive the Evo you 1/8th mile speed is roughly 72mph depending on how you launch etc...

Assuming constant acceleration with a quick quesstimate again you were going about 66% of the 1/8th mile so we can take 72mph x 0.66 = ~ 47.52mph (thats my calculation on how fast u were going which is pretty close to what you think you were going) (again this is very rough estimate) I don't feel like taking the time out right now to the full calculations to get a better idea of how fast you are going, but you get my point.

If you were clocked "supposedly" at 62mph at around 150yards, then either you are the best drag racer in the United States and in your Evo you would've hit 90mph+ on your 1/8th mile which would also put you in the low 12 secs to high 11 sec territory in the quartermile which will also make your Evo one of the fastest stock Evos in the world.

Hope it helps.

Nebo

P.S. The incentive to stay in school :)

:werd:

DR_EVIL
04-30-2004, 04:08 PM
sorry to hear vtluu. now i know why i take the back roads home. everyone be careful please.

coolguy949
04-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Who do we thank for all this police activity lately? Arnold?

AlwayzEVOlving
04-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Vtluu

1mile = 1760 yards

Hope it helps.

Nebo

P.S. The incentive to stay in school :) :jawdrop:

vtluu
05-02-2004, 10:27 PM
... And I "supposedly" got to 62 mph from a stop and while making a 60-degree right turn too. Which could make me the best autocrosser in the United States as well--which this weekend's SCCA National Tour results soundly disprove. :lol:

Thanks Eddy! :worthy: This further convinces me their so-called "radar" reading was a load of crap, and that I should fight this ticket all the way. :ahnold:

JanSolo
05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Who do we thank for all this police activity lately? Arnold?

Bring him back to SoCal. This guy is ruining the rest of the state.

vtluu
05-02-2004, 10:54 PM
It's clear to me that zealously enforcing speed limits in no way improves public safety out on the streets and highways. In fact I can come up with several plausible arguments as to how it can decrease safety (people scanning their rearview mirrors excessively, presence of police vehicles causing sudden changes in traffic flow, etc.).

Furthermore it takes away police resources from things like solving, stopping and preventing crime. In that latter respect I have a lot of appreciation and respect for the police; I sometimes wonder how they feel about being assigned a menial, pointless task like speed limit enforcement.