PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

ek9_evo9
07-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Been seriously thinking about getting a Bike.

New,Used whatever.

Problem is im a short guy 5'3 to be exact and weight only 145lbs.

I havent sat on a shorty bike but ive sat on my buddy's who is 5'6 and can barely tip-toe with one foot leaned over to the side a little. Probably only reason why i havent bought on yet.

i know you can lower the bike but im not sure how low and heard it was a bitch on the freeway or over small bumps because of the shock bounds are shortened.

Does any1 have any suggestions on bikes i should be looking at?

TIA

Liquid-R1
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
DON'T LOWER the bike... If you do, you'll hinder your ground clearance. So, when you lean into a turn, you'll start to drag parts etc... You really don't want your pegs or other hard parts digging into the ground as you're leaned over... The only real thing you can do is shave the seat. That will help a little. Otherwise, you're gonna have to learn to lean it... As for bikes, what kind are you looking for? Sport, cruizer, touring? I'll assume sport. If it's your 1st bike, I always recommend going with a Ninja 250. Freeway legal, 6 speed, and tons of fun. You're learn the value of corner speed a lot quicker than a 600 or a 1000 where you have to worry about getting on it too soon/hard through a corner. Also, you can buy one used (I think it's the same damn bike since the early 90's) and pretty much sell it for the same price you bought it at. Then you can go on to buy the bike you really want. Also, 70+mpg is nice.

You might want to also consider the Ninja 500, Suzuki 650S, and maybe a old Honda 600 (F1-F4). I recommend the Ninja 500 or the 650S because there are less fairings. Those pieces of plastic add up in just one drop. Look at about $1500 in damage each time.

Check out www.bayarearidersforum.com It's pretty much bikes for all the Bay Area. Feel free to hit me up if you have anymore questions.

nebolic
07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
+1 on the not lowering part.

The other option is to change the seat, you may be able to squeeze an inch or two out if you do that.

I'd say go with the 250cc or 500cc first

nebo

ek9_evo9
07-11-2006, 03:07 PM

The other option is to change the seat, you may be able to squeeze an inch or two out if you do that.

nebo

yah im thinking of sport bikes nothing too fast just a nice one i can commute in.

peter
07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
cbr600, gsxr, or an r6 :D!

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 07:49 AM
cbr600, gsxr, or an r6 :D!

r6?? your nuts, an r6 should never be considered a starter bike :lol:

o well ill keep checking craigs list.

I want something cheap to learn on.

Liquid-R1
07-12-2006, 09:29 AM
r6?? your nuts, an r6 should never be considered a starter bike :lol:

Glad to see you're being sensible. The R series from Yamaha tends to have a very quick turn in and shouldn't be taken lightly. That said, I love the Yamaha's for overall fit and finish. I'd have a Honda F4i, 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Suzuki GSX-R, and a 2004 Yahama R1. Overall, the Yamaha wins...

For your 1st bike, I still go with get the Ninja 250. They're all the same bike from 90-up, just the fairing colors. No problems on the freeway, 70+ mpg. Once you learn and you're ready to move up, just sell it for what you bought it at...

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
tried looking for one.

my buddy got a 95 ninja for free just didnt have the skin and he bought that for like $300 and painted for $200.

it ran good and he rode it back from the guys house.

peter
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
lol the first bike i started out with was my uncle's R1, then he wanted it back so now im lookin for an r6

coco
07-12-2006, 12:39 PM

nebo

yah im thinking of sport bikes nothing too fast just a nice one i can commute in.

What kind of commute?

I am selling my Derbi motard, it is a 50cc 2-stroke so it is good for the city but not freeway legal. Very easy to learn on since it is light.

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 12:54 PM

nebo

What kind of commute?

I am selling my Derbi motard, it is a 50cc 2-stroke so it is good for the city but not freeway legal. Very easy to learn on since it is light.

well modesto to concord commuting.

yes yes i know as a bike noob i shouldt commute that far on a bike, i expect to learn on street and by crusing here and there for a while, i just cant gather up the gonad to even take it on the freeway anytime soon.

how much for the bike?? pics?

nebolic
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
i believe for a brand new ninja 250 it's a 2,000 - 3,000 ... cant remember since it's been a while, but yes, definetly get something cheap, because the first time you drop that bike, you'll be so heartbroken.

ninja 250 is a great bike to learn on, and you can go on freeway with it.

or if you want to get a little crazy, look for a NSR or RGV 250, those things are killer, but hard to find a street legal one.

nebo

coco
07-12-2006, 01:48 PM

nebo

What kind of commute?

well modesto to concord commuting.

yes yes i know as a bike noob i shouldt commute that far on a bike, i expect to learn on street and by crusing here and there for a while, i just cant gather up the gonad to even take it on the freeway anytime soon.

how much for the bike?? pics?

$2000, though this is not freeway legal. It tops out at 60mph. Good for zipping around in the street though and since it is so light it is easy to maneuver.

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
hmmm nice offer and looks well taken care of, unfortunately i would like something to use on the freeway as well.

nsr 250??

pics??

*edit nevermind i found

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2001/10/24/bikepics-11881-full.jpg

kinda liking that bike.

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 02:55 PM
daymnnnnn expensive

1992 Honda NSR 250

Nice and clean NSR 250 MC21 in origional condition. Arrow race pipes. I bought it in New Zealand and brought it back in 2000. This bike was origionally sold in Japan then imported to New Zealand. Has only 18000 kilos on it. Just serviced at Honda dealer including carb rebuild. Small scratches and a chip out of the front fender. Overall a 8 on a ten scale. Strong compression, rides great. Grey market and not registerable in California. I have title in my name from New Zealand DMV.

Vin#7A88G691196070667
Engine#MC16E-1280625

Asking $5900 or best offer. Cash only and no trades.