PDA

View Full Version : intake cause probalem???

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
on Evom they are trying to tell me that if i get a intake it wont idel right and i have to get a tune. so i want to know who on this form has a intake and haas problems. and also is there any Dyno proff that an intake with out a tune hurts performance??

SJCoruja
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
To be 100% honest, it will really depend on your car. I have had 4 different intakes on my car with & without tuning for them, and am back to a good old stock airbox with a drop-in filter. You may not have any issues at all, but in reality you are more than likely going to have the issues that the folks on EvoM are telling you about (rough/stumbling idle, loss of low end, stalling, etc).

evo8dustu
07-11-2006, 02:35 PM
when i added an intake to my car without a tune, the ecu went into safe mode and cut my boost down to like 14 psi.

Liquid-R1
07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I had the HKS RS w/ a tune. No problems whatsoever... In all honesty, even before I got the tune, I didn't have any problems with it as well... Only reason I took mine out is I'm trying to go stealth...

ek9_evo9
07-11-2006, 03:00 PM
get a drop in, less hassle. our cars are designed well enough that if you arent trying to go all out, a drop in with your stock box is just perfect.

MitsuMan
07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
intake can change MAF reading and make boost spike. I had a K/N intake and my car would over boost and hit fuel cut until I removed the piping and used just the filter, heat shield and the stock intake pipe .

they really don't produce Hp but it makes your turbo sound reall cool and it looks good under the hood
make shure you get a C.A.R.B. approved one

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
ya i bought a K&N intake so it should be here in a few days. does it help with the sound of the turbo/BOV? becaue i can only hear the turbo when its like less the 75 degres out side. and i want to hear the turbo/BOV

lncrevoviii
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
on Evom they are trying to tell me that if i get a intake it wont idel right and i have to get a tune. so i want to know who on this form has a intake and haas problems. and also is there any Dyno proff that an intake with out a tune hurts performance??

wow omg, :lol: just couldn't hold it :lol:.

Try This: Get a boost gauge and then clearly monitor it for couple of weeks, until, you get used to when the boost spikes (rpms), when it drops down, which rpms it holds at and where it goes after 5K rpms. Then get an Intake, I recommend buy a used one, HKS, Injen, AEM etc and now monitor your boost readings, if anything is changed then get rid of the intake and stick with the stock box.
I tried the AEM intake, boost went up to 21psi as usual, but then dropped to 17psi and came down to 15psi before even hitting 5K rpms. With stock box, it went to 21psi, came down to 19psi and tappered down after 5K rpms. So i got rid of the AEM, and slapped the stocker back on, and I am much happy with it. The only thing with the aftermarket intake system is that you spool faster but will not hold because of MAF readings, if your car is tuned then its a different thing. Also, you might consider getting a MBC.

One last thing, probalem solwed!!!

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
ya i typed kinda fast and i dont re-read any of it. so i hope it spell stuff right the first time. but i have a autometer cobalt boost gauge and i spike about 19 then taper to 15. so if i got the intake and a MBC then i should be fine right?

lncrevoviii
07-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Wait, do you have the intake on the car? You are spiking at 19psi with the stock box?, and it tapers down to 15psi before 5K rpms or after.

Still man, I recommend a tune over the MBC. You would be much happier with the tune than the MBC. MBC is like fixing the problem half-assed. Save up some money, get the tune and call it a day.

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 07:09 PM
thats with the stock air box, the k&n typhoon is being shipped

lncrevoviii
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
ohh, just get a tune. You would be way better off.

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 07:11 PM
where can i get a tune and how much do they cost? the car is 100% stock

lncrevoviii
07-11-2006, 07:12 PM
ok, you got Vishnu, Gruppe- S, EIP, Speed Element etc. PM them and ask for their prices. check the Vendors Forums for their PMs and specials.

ApexVIII
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
are any of them close to modesto?

jay206
07-11-2006, 07:59 PM
i used to have this filter set up. its sounds good but it got me worried everytime that it rains, and when i washes my car, it might suck some water so i put the stock one back...but its all up to you this is just my idea, i could be wrong.

mygsx
07-11-2006, 10:05 PM

I put on the AEM intake system (hardpipe and air filt.) Before a tune same amount of boost no problems whatsoever.
After a tune.... Well I hit 300 whp after Paul @EIP tuned it 8)

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
are any of them close to modesto?

no they are all in the bay area, fremont, san jose.*
Vishnu is probably the closest in Danville/San Ramon.

there is probably no point in trying to find out who is the best because everyone has their own opinion. "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and some just f**k'n stink"

Pricing is going to be different because you need the tune license for say ecu-tek, plus dyno time custom tune and such and such.* Or you can go for a flash and its in and out, i think Vishnu does that but they also do custom tuning.

What exactly are you trying to do?* If you are going to be modding the hell out of your car and are on a budget, id seriously consider purchasing your parts first then before your tune slap them on and get custom tuned that way your not spending money for a tune because you changed intakes, needed to install cams blah blah.

I like mine close to stock as possible, the car is a good enough machine already for weekend cruises and i dont track.

+1 for EIP :wink:

MitsuMan
07-12-2006, 10:19 AM
ok, you got Vishnu, Gruppe- S, EIP, Speed Element etc. PM them and ask for their prices. check the Vendors Forums for their PMs and specials.

don't forget full function too

ApexVIII
07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
i was nto planning on getting a tune after just an intake. i would have to get TBE, intake, and some other stuff, but i want to keep it legal. so not anything to crazy

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
i was nto planning on getting a tune after just an intake. i would have to get TBE, intake, and some other stuff, but i want to keep it legal. so not anything to crazy

maybe a good discussion topic for friday?

you comming down to in and out friday night

coco
07-12-2006, 12:33 PM

a lot of posts show the K&N typhoon to be the worst intake for the Evo, you may want to return it since it supposedley causes a lot of problems

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM

a lot of posts show the K&N typhoon to be the worst intake for the Evo, you may want to return it since it supposedley causes a lot of problems

problem with the filter comming over oiled from factory no doubt?

dohcvtec
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Why do you want an intake so bad if all it does is keep the same or lose power on your car? I don't get it...

ApexVIII
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
well i already ordered it. and i would really like to here the turbo/bov.

ya im comming on friday. some of my friends might come also, the have a silver SRT-4, yellow C4, blue Rx-7, white 06 STi . im not sure who will come but they probably wont be there untill after 11.

if i just put the cone filter on the end and still had the stock piping then would that help? or is the problem the filter, not the piping?

coco
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM

ya im comming on friday. some of my friends might come also, the have a silver SRT-4, yellow C4, blue Rx-7, white 06 STi . im not sure who will come but they probably wont be there untill after 11.

if i just put the cone filter on the end and still had the stock piping then would that help? or is the problem the filter, not the piping?

I think both, that why nobody uses it. The filter is over oiled and the piping has something sticking out in the center which disrupts the airflow.

I have no personal experience with that intake though have read numerous negative posts towards it. Though since you already purchased it try it out. Unless you can return it and get refunded.

To hear the BOV buy an APS or GFB brand. No one yet has reported and ill effects from using those and you dont neet a tune to make it work.

dohcvtec
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I had a GFB for about 4 months before I got so sick of the BOV sound I sold it. I would just return the intake, or you can waste your money.. your choice :)

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 01:27 PM

I think both, that why nobody uses it. The filter is over oiled and the piping has something sticking out in the center which disrupts the airflow.

I have no personal experience with that intake though have read numerous negative posts towards it. Though since you already purchased it try it out. Unless you can return it and get refunded.

To hear the BOV buy an APS or GFB brand. No one yet has reported and ill effects from using those and you dont neet a tune to make it work.

i have a greddy type rs im thinking bout getting rid of for my brother, he let me have it but i didnt want to deal with it.

id seriously think about getting a stock 9 bov you can probably get them for dirt cheap off other 9 evo owners. *

I would seriously reconsider changing out your intake for a cone or even going open box. *I had problems since doing so and figured that the bov sounds was minimal at best.

If you want a vta sound, get the APS or GFB, they recirc and also VTA. *You have to remember that our MAF does not like VTA BOV unlike STi who i hear VTAing all the damn time. *

Just a couple of observations about intakes and such.

One thing you should look into is getting upper and lower icp changed out. and not even deal with aftermarket airboxes. *the stock box works fine and is damn near perfect.

KareBearPowa
07-12-2006, 02:34 PM
The K&N typhoon is possibly the worst intake you could get for the evo. Have fun with it. The crappy design causes all sorts of airflow problems.

ZK
07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
If you want a vta sound, get the APS or GFB, they recirc and also VTA. You have to remember that our MAF does not like VTA BOV unlike STi who i hear VTAing all the damn time.

Just because some people do it doesn't mean it's good for the car. The Subarus have the same problems with VTA as Evos do.

ek9_evo9
07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
If you want a vta sound, get the APS or GFB, they recirc and also VTA. You have to remember that our MAF does not like VTA BOV unlike STi who i hear VTAing all the damn time.

Just because some people do it doesn't mean it's good for the car. The Subarus have the same problems with VTA as Evos do.

i was under the impression that subarus didnt have the same issue, my buddy has a wrx and its vta and has 0 problems with power, im just going by from what i seen.

lncrevoviii
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Why do you want an intake so bad if all it does is keep the same or lose power on your car? I don't get it...

Thank You
I sold my GayEeEm right after installing it. Stock box is perfect as it is, unless you have a bigger turbo pulling some crazy numbers.

lncrevoviii
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Whoops posted twice.

ApexVIII
07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
ok well i just put m,y intake on and i have been driving around and there is 0 problems... it actually drives better, idel and everything. i cant say that i "feel" any more power. but finally hearing the turbo, and bov nice

Derek

AreSTG
07-16-2006, 09:44 AM
and also is there any Dyno proff that an intake with out a tune hurts performance??

when i was stationed in TX i put an intake on my evo untuned.

I ran a .1 faster 60', but .4 slower in the 1/4..... if that's not proff i dunno what is.

chuckdashi
07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
power to money ratio... intakes are not worth it... get a k&n or hks drop in filter and call it a day...

Deviousone209
07-17-2006, 11:02 PM
i have the turbo xs intake filter with adaplter plate and a mbc and i have no problems. oh and also have a turbo xs rfl...hold boost at 20psi and stays,....untuned...