PDA

View Full Version : Another strange whining noise

ST
07-20-2006, 01:23 AM
I've been getting a low whining pitch noise coming from the rear . It is prevalent at speed as well as idle (neutral). It sounds like a loose ground more or less, but my RS doesn't have a speakers (although I did just install a radio) O.o, and the volume goes up and down as more accessories are being used. I've isolated the noise to the rear underneath the car by the trunk area. One thing I noted was during morning cold starts i don't get the whining until after the car has warmed up. I've read up on a lot of strange noises on EvoM, but this doesn't seem to fall under the usual TC/Differential/etc. category (keep in mind my car is new with only 250 miles or so). Anyone got any ideas?

byt
07-20-2006, 02:07 AM
bet you it's the fuel pump

my stock one whines occasionally too

Matz
07-20-2006, 07:01 AM

hehe... was going to say that maybe someone replaced his FP with a walbro 255 and didn't tell him. I actually had never heard the stock FP until after I removed the rear seats.

L84AD8
07-20-2006, 08:07 AM

hehe... was going to say that maybe someone replaced his FP with a walbro 255 and didn't tell him. I actually had never heard the stock FP until after I removed the rear seats.

+1 It's normal if you got a walbro FP. Never noticed it when I had the stock FP.

ST
07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Took it down to the dealer today for the mechanics to check out. The confirmed the failure and said it was normal. In fact, they got another new Evo IX, fired it up, and sure enough I heard the same high pitched whine from the rear. Guess its normal...

ek9_evo9
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
your car is whining because you havent it taken it WOT enough.

remember your car is like a girl, you dont treat her right, you'll hear it for the rest of your time together :wink:

ST
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
your car is whining because you havent it taken it WOT enough.

remember your car is like a girl, you dont treat her right, you'll hear it for the rest of your time together :wink:

Oh gawd...I don't need another gf...that's why i bought the car in the first place! :X