PDA

View Full Version : 272 s, no cam gears ?

typeill
07-24-2006, 03:23 AM
im was told yesterday that i could have them installed without aftermarket cam gears ...safely. the gears werent a necessity, more for glitz than anything else. i disagreed, but im no genius .there any truth to this?

EVO GRIM
07-24-2006, 06:10 AM
All depends on what you want to do with the car. I wish I had installed them now because I could play with settings to spool my lage turbo quicker.

evo_dadi
07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
if youre going with the 272's its much better having cam gears to dial them in and the desired powerband.hell even just a cam gear on stock cams are worth it sinceyou can get it retuned.

wilson1
07-24-2006, 08:48 AM
You should just get it installed at the same time, just in case if you ever wants to play with the cam timing.

EFIxMR
07-24-2006, 01:50 PM
cam gears work awesome

typeill
07-25-2006, 03:12 AM
thanks fellas. is hks pretty much the only way to go? or buddy club , comp, helix. and is it necessary to match cam gears?

Matz
07-25-2006, 04:15 AM
thanks fellas. is hks pretty much the only way to go? or buddy club , comp, helix. and is it necessary to match cam gears?

It's not necessary, but you want to make sure that the kind you get don't have a reputation for slipping or anything. They have 3 bolt and 5 bolt cam gears -- 5 bolt gears probably hold better, but of course there's more loosening / tightening involved with them. I think Andy from SpeedElement is testing out some brand I've never heard of... Akmee or something? EIP also has their own cam gears, which look really nice, too.

Liquid-R1
07-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Also, if you want to maintain a stockish looking bay, I believe the HKS lets you put the cam gear cover back on... I think the Helix v2 does as well, but I'm not sure...

ek9_evo9
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM

Also, if you want to maintain a stockish looking bay, I believe the HKS lets you put the cam gear cover back on... I think the Helix v2 does as well, but I'm not sure...

also the akmee which you can get more info from andy at speed elements i beleive he said that stock valve cover will still fit the akmee cams

warpspeed
07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
cam gears work awesome

If you know what you are doing when it comes to fine tuning them and that's the main purpose of cam gears, so you can fine tune your timing to get the most out of them and double check that the adjusting bolts are tight. No to tight because they can easily strip. :?

typeill
07-26-2006, 03:00 AM
ive heard good things about the hks,aem and vishnu cam gears. ive heard of people having problems with the helix and fidanza.