View Full Version : Transfer Case is Howling

monchan8
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't have the cash to replace
my transfer case so I'm just going
to have to stick it out. It is starting
to go and is making that howling
noise. I f-ed up big time with having
smaller profile tires in the front, (75W)
vs (93W) in the back, driving around
for 4 months. I asked the guy at Just
Tires if it would be OK to put different
sized tires and he said no problem. Now
I find that it is most likely the cause of
my problem.

I'm wondering how long/how many miles
I can get out of my burnt transfer case.

I just put in new I believe synthetic transfer
case oil, which I think might help a little, but
I know the damage has already been done.
It howls moderately. I plan to switch to
get same size tires ASAP.

KareBearPowa
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Since I have no idea what fluid you put in there, switch it out to OEM fluid or redline Heavy Shockproof.

Stop driving the car with different shape tires. Yes. STOP driving it. Get the right tires tomorrow.

The transfer case can lock up. Worst case scenario it locks up while you are driving 70mph on the highway and you spin and kill yourself and/or somebody else. Yes. it is that serious. Best case scenario, it will lock up driving around town in low speed and crack the case and you are out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a whole new transfercase.

Stop driving it now and you just have to pay for a rebuild which is less $$$$$

EV0LL
08-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry Im kinda confused, but was this supposed to be a hi-ku? :?

monchan8
08-02-2006, 10:01 PM
The oil I put in the transfer case is Mobil 1 75W-90 fully synthetic. Thaks for the advice. I will do that.
I know I can get new tires put on at least, especially if it means that it may seize up.
I do see the danger of having all 4 wheels lock up on the highway. I will try and keep you posted
on the progress or lack therof on my transfer case!

KareBearPowa
08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes i would for sure get that fluid out and put in OEM diaqueen or Redline Shockproof heavy.

What are the sizes of your current tires btw? 235/45/17 and ?

monchan8
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, Shockproof Heavy. I'll put that in instead.

Front tires are lower profile at 235/45/17/75W.
Rear tires must be larger in diameter are at 235/45/17/93W.

KareBearPowa
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Those are the same size tires. the 4th number is the load index and then speed rating. Check this out: http://www.yokohamatire.com/utspeed.asp

Something else is going on. Was the car ever towed. Who changed the fluids out? Did you buy the car used?

What brand/model tires are they. 73 is too low a load index for an EVO. 93 is what it should be. Did the tire dealer put these on?

monchan8
08-03-2006, 06:05 AM
I did do a serious low speed 4 wheel drift in second gear. It felt like it lasted forever. There was high wheel spin. Maybe that is
what eventually broke the camel's back. Also, service intervals for transfer case is every 30k. I hadn't replaced mine until
47K. I've also taken it down I 5, holding 145mph for about 20 miles.

KareBearPowa
08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I did do a serious low speed 4 wheel drift in second gear. It felt like it lasted forever. There was high wheel spin. Maybe that is
what eventually broke the camel's back. Also, service intervals for transfer case is every 30k. I hadn't replaced mine until

Holding 145mph for 20 miles with 73 rated load index tires? You're lucky you are still here to type about it. Get new tires with the right load index since you should anyway, change the fluid and see if it gets better. If not, rebuild time.

ek9_evo9
08-03-2006, 12:35 PM

WTF.....

You sir have won the I have watermelon size Cajones award of the month.

Thank god your still alive

chrisw
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes i would for sure get that fluid out and put in OEM diaqueen or Redline Shockproof heavy.

I would say if it's howling as bad as he says, it's rebuild time... new fluid won't help at this point, the damage has been done.

AreSTG
08-04-2006, 02:21 AM
i think i found another reason my insurance is so freaking high on my EVO

BMan
08-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Did you do the first lube change in the last 5,000 miles and not use Diaqueen?
If that is the case, that is what ate your TC. Once it starts making the noise, it's just a matter of time.