PDA

View Full Version : Clutch questions?

TogueMonster
08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
My Evo has about 20,??? miles on it now and the clutch is a goner.* It moves, but not without alot of revs and takes a while to grab.* My questions are....

#1. Should I go for a Hyper Clutch and is it worth the investment over a regular Stage blah clutch?

I was told by a clutch shop that they have seen Evo's with only 6,000 or 8,000mi. on em' needing a new clutch.* Guess I'm alot nicer to my car.* They recommended the "Hyper single" clutch (Cusco, Exedy) and wouldn't put anything else in an Evo.* According to them, "it will last the life of the car".* ?? They quoted me out the door at $2,300 for an Exedy Hyper Single installed.
#2.* What is the average cost of labor for replacing a clutch?

I've heard it all from $350 all the way up to $850.* Which of these guys is ripping me off and which of these guys is mistaking my Evo for a Lancer OZ :lol:? No, I made it clear that it's an Evolution on each labor quote.

I drive a little hard, so I'd like a clutch that will last.* I'm not into clutches with a pedal feel that'll make my calf muscles twice as big in two weeks.* I'm willing to pay more for a "Hyper Single" clutch if its worth it and will save me $$ in the long run.* I've looked into both options, an Ogura Clutch ($1,300) if I go that route.* Otherwise, I may go with a stage 2 for around $500.* This is my first clutch change in the Evo so I know nothing about what I should be spending.* I'm sure some of you guys have a little more knowledge you can share with me.* I'd really appreciate any opinions and any direction you can give me.* Thanks in advance fellas.

Matz
08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I've been quoted roughly $750 at WORKS, up to over $1100 at three different Mitsubishi dealers. This is just for labor, no parts included.

I can't recommend a clutch from personal experience (I'm on my stocker w/ 27k miles), but I've heard of people using ACT or the RRE No Name Clutch. I think anything more aggressive than a single disc is unnecessary unless you launch your car and want to have your tranny rebuilt.

KareBearPowa
08-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Organic disc clutch is good for 95% of the people on here, myself included.

ACT / RRE no-name / Exedy street clutch. Under $600

Why get a clutch costing 4x the amount if you aren't even close to needing it, which can also be too aggressive and destory other drivetrain parts if misused?

Labor rates should be $500 to 700

a good flywheel is another $300-400, still be spending less then half of what you would be if you got the internet cool kid everyone has a race car clutch.

TogueMonster
08-07-2006, 11:37 PM
The only reason I considered the Hyper clutch is that a shop recommended one and stated that they wouldn't put anything else on an Evolution. I thought it was a bit much so I thought I'd seek some advice here. I originally had an Exedy clutch+lightened flywheel package in mind that I found on eBay. I guess what I should have asked was, "Is this Clutch Unlimited guy trying to screw me?" :lol: I guess I was on the right track to begin with. Thanks Matz/Bryan.

KareBearPowa
08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
be careful of the base Exedy as it is the same as the OEM clutch.

TogueMonster
08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I saw that one. Looks like the stocker that came in my Eclipse, and probably is. I'm leaning towards a stage 1, ya think a stage 2 would be too much? I don't want something that's overkill or not streetable. But then again, I'd like it to last and I'd like to have something strong when more power upgrades are thrown into the mix.

Matz
08-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Yeah, I saw that one. Looks like the stocker that came in my Eclipse, and probably is. I'm leaning towards a stage 1, ya think a stage 2 would be too much? I don't want something that's overkill or not streetable. But then again, I'd like it to last and I'd like to have something strong when more power upgrades are thrown into the mix.

Just out of curiosity, what is your power goal?