PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum jacks

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I just got an email w/ a $69.99 coupon for this jack:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91000-91099/91039.gif

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=91039

I've seen a few guys w/ this jack at the track.* I've used it once and felt a lot of resistance (compared to most steel floor jacks) when lifting the car.* Another friend knows a shop owner who has a bunch of these jacks w/ blown hydraulic seals sitting in the back of his shop.

I'm deciding between this jack or the Craftsman aluminum jack.* I know Harbor Freight sells extended warranties, but I'd rather get a jack that's reliable and will last.* So for those who have this jack, how long have you been using it and how well has it been holding up?

hagakure
08-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Mark,

I have the large harbor freight jack, and it's fine. the small aluminum jack, as pictured, is a POS.

Eclipse
08-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I think there are two versions of this jack, the rapid lift and regular. I have the rapid lift and it's pretty firm to pump. Mine's held up well over two and a half years. I've put it through a lot, engine and tranny changes, crossmember lifting, track days etc,...

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Okay, so I guess I should stay away from the small jack.

Eclipse, do you have the larger or small jack?

Eclipse
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Mine's bigger than the spec on that link. 1' by 2'

ZK
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
I have the smaller one as pictured. It was fine when I first got it but now it makes really loud squealing sounds when I jack up the car. A couple of friends have the same jack and have not had any problems with it.

Does the larger Harbor jack have the same ground clearance? Space is very limited where I work on my car and the smaller Harbor one I have just barely fits between the wall and my car.

turbotiger
08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
I bought the large aluminum jack that costco sells
I believe it's about $120.
I've had it for over a year so far with no problems.
and if the seal ever blows, costco return policy FTW!

DRFTR8
08-08-2006, 09:14 AM
i got the one from Sears and its been easy to use specially the clearance issue that i have cuz the car is low and my sideskirts.. and its life time warrentied

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
DRFTR8, do you have the bigger or smaller craftsman aluminum jack? There's a 3000lb and 4000lb one, just like these Harbor Freight jacks. I'm leaning towards getting the 4000 lb one since it looks better and it's on sale right now. :D

Matz
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
DRFTR8, do you have the bigger or smaller craftsman aluminum jack? There's a 3000lb and 4000lb one, just like these Harbor Freight jacks. I'm leaning towards getting the 4000 lb one since it looks better and it's on sale right now. :D

Hey Mark, I have the pretty Sears one that's mostly aluminum (the all-aluminum one is bank), and I like it a lot. I think I paid about $70 for it? The only issue I have is that when you jack up the rear using the diff. point, you won't be able to get the jack to raise without hitting the rear bumper. If you want to try mine, you're welcome to borrow it any time.

vtluu
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Exact same experience as Percy. Get the bigger one if you have room to carry it. (Tow vehicle FTW!)

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Mark, I have the pretty Sears one that's mostly aluminum (the all-aluminum one is bank), and I like it a lot. I think I paid about $70 for it? The only issue I have is that when you jack up the rear using the diff. point, you won't be able to get the jack to raise without hitting the rear bumper. If you want to try mine, you're welcome to borrow it any time.

So Dave, do you have this one?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00950239000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Lift+Equipment&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Or this one?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00950240000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

How did you get it for $70???* ;)

KareBearPowa
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Percy, which one did my scrawny 175lb arse break one-handed at the track?

hagakure
08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
You broke a big one.....but I think that was a fluke. Lot's of folks have been using this jack without incident, including me. they also replaced it without any hassle.

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
What part broke on it BTW?

Matz
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

So Dave, do you have this one?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00950239000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Lift+Equipment&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Or this one?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00950240000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

How did you get it for $70??? ;)

I have the second one... I think I paid about 70? I'll have to look for my receipts. :) It was on sale about 6 weeks ago.

KakimotoEVO
08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I've had the Harbor Freight small aluminum jack for 2 years. Used it for 35+ autox days and countless hours in my garage. Besides, the front wheel is busted (doesn't rotate anymore), the jack itself is still functioning fine. No leak, no squeal. I guess it depends on your luck. :lol:

Positron
08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I bought the small HarborFrieght jack around Christmas time. Still works like if it was brand new. Used many many times on my Evo which has a low ride height. Its lifed a handful of other Evos too.

Decent low profile jack for $70.

MarkSAE
08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmmm.. it's good to hear some positive things about the small Harbor Freight jack. For $70, it might just be worth trying.

DRFTR8
08-09-2006, 08:11 AM

Mark i have the 4k one and it works fine... but the 1.5 ton one is good also..

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I bought the large aluminum jack that costco sells
I believe it's about $120.
I've had it for over a year so far with no problems.
and if the seal ever blows, costco return policy FTW!

Hey James,

I work across the street from Costco, so I decided to walk there and check it out. Their jack is nice! It's the one that's hollow in the center right? I played around with it and it seems to work and modulate well. It's a 2-ton and weighs 49 lbs according to the package. Price is only $100 too. That's a pretty good value!

The 1.5 ton jacks are slightly lighter and smaller though and easier to pack too.. hmmm... I'll have to drop by Sears one of these days to compare the size and weight difference.

ZK
08-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Mark, you've seen my Harbor one.

I've no problems, it just makes squealing noises when I pump it. It's been abused by the people I've lent it to and still works. I've had a car fall on the jack even - the jackstand slipped and the whole car fell onto the jack and crushed the jack sideways bending the arm a bit.

It may just need lubing or something. The manual does show you how to replace the hydralic fluid and flush the system although I haven't tried it.

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Mark, you've seen my Harbor one.

I've no problems, it just makes squealing noises when I pump it. It's been abused by the people I've lent it to and still works. I've had a car fall on the jack even - the jackstand slipped and the whole car fell onto the jack and crushed the jack sideways bending the arm a bit.

It may just need lubing or something. The manual does show you how to replace the hydralic fluid and flush the system although I haven't tried it.

Yeah, I remember it. I didn't really how much resistance there was when lifting the car up. It kinda felt like the hydraulics were being stressed.

ZK
08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I remember it. I didn't really how much resistance there was when lifting the car up. It kinda felt like the hydraulics were being stressed.

Yeah, it felt better when it was new and before the car fell on it. haha

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Here's a picture of the jack I saw at costco..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/marksae/B000FP0PQY.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP0PQY/sr=1-10/qid=1155165515/ref=sr_1_10/104-0062480-6299941?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

Since amazon sells it for $179, I think $99 is a pretty good deal for it!

Eclipse
08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Fugg that's heavy if you're going to pack it around with you to track days. Maybe okay for the stay at home shop jack though.

KareBearPowa
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I bring my $40 steel craftsman jack to track days. Its heavy as all hell @33lbs

KareBearPowa
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Heres a craftsman 1.5 ton alum jack for $119

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&pid=00950240000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Lift+Equipment&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

unfortunatly it is 55lbs

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Hmmm.. maybe I should just get one of those jacks to take w/ me to the track instead. Those should be sufficient for track days.

I still do need a new floor jack though. The one I have leaks oil and doesn't modulate very well.

KareBearPowa
08-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Hmmm.. maybe I should just get one of those jacks to take w/ me to the track instead.* Those should be sufficient for track days.

I still do need a new floor jack though.* The one I have leaks oil and doesn't modulate very well.

It's nice because its small, it fits perfectly behind the front seats even in its case, and even with the rollbar.

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
It's also on sale now for $30. The case does make it easier to carry around too.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0654646914.1155169824@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cckkaddiiedeeljcefecemldffidflk.0&pid=00950523000&cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&subcat=Lift+Equipment&vertical=AUTO&ihtoken=1

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey Bryan, can you slide your jack under the side of the car? I'm wondering if there's enough clearance to clear the side skirts.

KareBearPowa
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey Bryan, can you slide your jack under the side of the car? I'm wondering if there's enough clearance to clear the side skirts.

Yup.

MarkSAE
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
So how much clearance do you have when you slide it under the car?

KareBearPowa
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Off the top of my head I really don't know, I've never had a problem with clearance though.

crctslt
08-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I've had the small harbor freight since Christmas. So far so good.

vtluu
08-10-2006, 12:16 AM
I think mine started going downhill after I carried it in the trunk of my Evo a few times. One thing I learned: always transport it right-side-up, never on its side or upside-down. Otherwise oil will leak out. I've tried refilling the hydraulic oil but as soon as I try to add any, it overflows. And that's after a bunch had leaked out. Now it only goes up about halfway through each pump stroke. And needs to be purged of air frequently in order to work at all. I think if I could successfully refill the oil it might work better.

Positron
08-10-2006, 12:36 AM

From what the spec sheet says, 7 inches or so.

MarkSAE
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
So I ended up buying the small Sears jack that comes in a case. It fits in the trunk nicely under my rear strut tower bar. I stuck a hockey puck on it and it didn't bend the frame rail when jacking up my car from the side. It barely cleared my side skirt though. I probably only had about a 1/4" of clearance. So if cars are lowered more than mine, this jack may not work.

KareBearPowa
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmm my front must be a bit higher then yours then. Why is your car so low. ;)

MarkSAE
08-12-2006, 05:38 PM
haha.. yeah, my car's probably lower than it needs to be right now. I'm gonna get my car corner weighed and balanced before my next alignment. Gonna get the suspension setup better.

GokuSSJ4
08-20-2006, 09:43 AM
i have had my jack for near 3 yrs... i use it from time to time and havent had any problems. I paid back then near 99.00 for it, all i can say that it has been worth every penny. Now you have a lot more options for an aluminum jack. An if i would be in the market for one i would look into the one that Sears makes. I have read plenty of good reviews from honda-tech.com since you have a lot of track junkies in there LOL.. there all seem to be very positive.

MarkSAE
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Welp, I finally bought a new floor jack tonight.* I kept seeing this jack at the track while walking around the pits, so it was one of those things where I just did not want to settle for anything else.* It's currently on sale at Sears for $149.99 w/ a craftsman club card.* I also had a $100 gift card my company gave me.* :D* So that helped out a bunch.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/marksae/IMG_1676.jpg

My cartman jack is gonna be retired soon.

RgistRdShowoffIX
09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
whoa that's nice =D

I need one of these. 8)

KareBearPowa
09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice I have been eyeing that one for awhile too.

Didn't you also just buy a the craftsmen smaller steel one like I have as well?

Matz
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Nice floor jack! I wonder if I should have gotten the 2 ton version, instead of the 1.5 ton kind I have now.

MarkSAE
09-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I bought that small one too. That's the one I bring to the track since it's lighter, more compact, and has a case.

I needed a new full-size floor jack since my other jack is dying. I was going to use the small jack to hold me over til this deal came along again, but the deal came back sooner than I thought. ;)

MarkSAE
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice floor jack! I wonder if I should have gotten the 2 ton version, instead of the 1.5 ton kind I have now.

I would guess that the 1.5 ton jack requires more effort for each pump. I can definitely tell a difference w/ this 2-ton jack compared to my older 3-ton jack. This new jack has quite a bit more resistance per pump.

EV0LL
09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Heh, I bought that same jack Mark, thing Is I coulda used it more while owning a DSM! I bought this fancy jack and have barley had to use it so far!

Oh well, sure does look pretty sitting in my garage :) 8)

MarkSAE
09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Heh, I bought that same jack Mark, thing Is I coulda used it more while owning a DSM! I bought this fancy jack and have barley had to use it so far!

Oh well, sure does look pretty sitting in my garage :) 8)

I'm sure you'll start using that jack more once you take your evo to the track! ;)

TogueMonster
09-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I bought that same Craftsman jack. I don't know what happened but it went out and I had to return it and get a new one. No problems since. Clearance never an issue, even on lowered cars.

MarkSAE
09-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I bought that same Craftsman jack. I don't know what happened but it went out and I had to return it and get a new one. No problems since. Clearance never an issue, even on lowered cars.

How did it go out? Did you "prime" the jack a few times before using it?

TogueMonster
09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Actually, my brother fixed it and it worked for about a week more and then just died out completely. I don't know, he used the jack before I did so I'm assuming he didn't. I'll have to ask. He exchanged it for me and thought I wouldn't find out. Something tells me that he didn't prime the new one. But its been working fine. Put a new Blitz Nur Spec on my buddys WRX today.

MarkSAE
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Hmm... weird.. I don' t think priming the jack will make that much of a difference. It just helps get the air out of the hydraulic fluid. Good thing this jack comes w/ a 1-year warranty!

TogueMonster
09-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Indeed, Craftsman jack, FTW!