PDA

View Full Version : Speeding 146mph in a 55mph zone

nebolic
05-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Law catches up with 146 mph driver

By Erica Jacobson
Free Press Staff Writer

Vermont State Trooper William Sweeny was on the lookout for a fast little red car headed north on Interstate 89 on Friday night, but, when the car blasted past, nothing prepared Sweeny for the three numbers that popped up on his radar machine.

1-4-6.

Around 8:30 Friday night, Sweeny clocked 20-year-old Ryan Seeholzer of Williston driving 146 mph just north of Exit 19 in St. Albans.

"If he would have wiped out going that speed," Sweeny said, "hopefully he would have had a wallet in his pocket because that would have been the only way to identify him."

Police eventually stopped Seeholzer on U.S. 2 in Rouses Point, N.Y., but only after a 25-mile hunt that involved six law enforcement agencies.

Seeholzer did not return a phone call for this story.

Part of the problem, Sweeny said, was that his cruiser was no match for Seeholzer's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution sedan.

"I could keep him in sight for a while," Sweeny said, "but I couldn't catch him."

Sweeny radioed for help. Swanton Police stopped another red car, but the occupants told police they were headed to the same destination as Seeholzer -- a Quebec racetrack about 15 miles north of the border at Rouses Point.

The Grand Isle sheriff also answered Sweeny's call as did the Border Patrol, the New York State Police and Rouses Point Police Department.

By that time, Sweeny said, Seeholzer had reduced his speed to legal limits.

"He knew his goose was cooked," Sweeny said. "He wasn't trying to draw any more attention to himself at this point."

Police wrote Seeholzer a $767 speeding ticket and cited him with careless and negligent operation of a motor vehicle. Sweeny credited the quick response of law enforcement to tracking down Seeholzer.

"You can do 146 mph," Sweeny said, "but you're never going to outrun a radio."

Nebo

vtluu
05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah, them red Evo drivers are craaaaaaazy. I guess I shouldn't be one to talk. ;)

Here's the real link: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/local/4000h.htm

warpspeed
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
[quote="nebolic"]Law catches up with 146 mph driver

"You can do 146 mph," Sweeny said, "but you're never going to outrun a radio."

Like Duh!. This is what those "young bucks" just can't get it inside their heads. Okay, you can go so fast, but they have radios. they will get you at the end, and he was on his way to a race track. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying that this are the kind of people that gives us (car enthusiast) a bad name. :oops: Why do you think that the cops always hassle us for mediocre stuff like exhaust etc.? They have it in their minds that "we" are reckless.

blueskies
05-11-2004, 10:22 AM
my favorite quote. :)
"Part of the problem, Sweeny said, was that his cruiser was no match for Seeholzer's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution sedan."

not that i think anyone should be going that fast on the road or trying to out run the cops, but it is fun just to know this.

SouthernCrane
05-11-2004, 10:33 AM
:shock: 146 MPH..........damn.

SilverBullet
05-11-2004, 11:52 AM
damn .... !

ob4
05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
The evo can definately go over 150mph (I know :wink: ), but I do not recommand trying it on CA freeways... anything over 100 is impound.

evo_dadi
05-11-2004, 01:21 PM
The evo can definately go over 150mph (I know :wink: ), but I do not recommand trying it on CA freeways... anything over 100 is impound. :werd: ahem interstate 5 :twisted: :twisted:

chris
05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
wow crazy!

gaughtboost
05-11-2004, 04:18 PM
that's crazy. Now i feel a whole lot better!

BUDLoNG
05-11-2004, 04:31 PM
all he got was a ticket!!!!?!?!?!! WTF???
i thought that was at least reckless driving and you lose your car and license??

BUDLoNG

vtluu
05-11-2004, 05:27 PM
i thought that was at least reckless driving and you lose your car and license??
I guess if you want to drive like a maniac, go to Vermont. :lol:

blueskies
05-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I guess if you want to drive like a maniac, go to Vermont. :lol:

i thought that was what montana was for.

DR_EVIL
05-11-2004, 06:01 PM
whoa i agree with vtluu watch out for them red evo owners we just seem to overheat in the moment of boost. hope you can say please mr insurance man let me keep my policy.

lambtron
05-11-2004, 07:04 PM
what a dumbass.

BluEvo
05-11-2004, 11:44 PM
now Evo's are an even bigger target for law enforcement! now that they know they can't catch us moving, they will just catch us parked and chillin at a meet or something like that. :?

559EVO
05-12-2004, 01:07 AM
bad name for our cars.